Airport.

Billy kettlefish

49 minutes ago, NoTailT said:

If you listen to his interview published yesterday with Moulton, Cobb was very blunt 'We only have 10 ATC staff and unfortunately they're heavily unionised.'

He didn't bother to praise and be blunt on working conditions, just a bit of a jab at them being unionised.

I assume, I hope, that it is a profession that is heavily regulated. So what is the problem? It  has already been stated here that the tea-breaks are part of the regulatory system. I guess he did not state what the problems were. What does he want - zero-hour contracts? To make a vague accusation like that without providing more details is not good communication.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NoTailT said:

If you listen to his interview published yesterday with Moulton, Cobb was very blunt 'We only have 10 ATC staff and unfortunately they're heavily unionised.'

He didn't bother to praise and be blunt on working conditions, just a bit of a jab at them being unionised.

I don’t remember that. Which video? When? 

27 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Only when their range is significantly improved. 

Wonder how long they take to charge between flights?

Imagine setting off from Liverpool, stormy night, three approaches to IoM, can’t land, not enough juice to return or go on to Belfast or Dublin. Splash!

Says 30mins recharge 

200km all battery or 400km hybrid. Hybrid would work..

1 hour ago, Andy Onchan said:

Not sure you can lay the blame of that on Gary Cobb, he was an airport operations manager not a director. 

More likely that the Ministers and Directors hadn't the gonads to stand up to the union.

https://www.hial.co.uk/hial-group/group?documentId=12&categoryId=20023

Certainly not Cobb's fault, as I pointed out when his name was announced, the programme was already running into trouble when he joined HIAL a couple of years ago.  But it had nothing to do with unions, but political pressure from the areas that the existing airports were based.  Criticism that was right across the political spectrum, including Tories.

Some of this was explicitly about losing high-paying jobs from small communities where such are few and far between.  But there were also worries that it would end up meaning lack of ATC staff at the central control as people wouldn't move and that the whole system would be more dangerous and would result in a poorer service.

13 minutes ago, Chris Thomas said:

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/disruption-not-usually-fault-of-on-island-air-traffic-controllers/

Sorry it was on MR, not Moultons. Had listened to both in succession. Go to 02:03 he refers to it being heavily unionised and it van be an issue if they clock off at 1 minute past their shift.

I'm sure he'd used that unionised word in Moultons too, just can't locate it. I think maybe unionised wasn't the right word to use, or maybe he did really mean that.

Edited by NoTailT

11 minutes ago, Chris Thomas said:

I presume he's referring to Gary Cobb's two part interview with Moulton (he obviously found Cobb more interesting than you, sorry):

I have to say I didn't notice anything about any union, he was actually being clear to defend ATC against their critics.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

I presume he's referring to Gary Cobb's two part interview with Moulton (he obviously found Cobb more interesting than you, sorry):

I have to say I didn't notice anything about any union, he was actually being clear to defend ATC against their critics.

I did watch Chris too. I'm glad he redirected Moulton to ask Cobb about technical questions than do an Ashford and try to answer it himself.

Referred to the unionised comment above was in the MR interview. I think maybe he just used the wrong terminology having re-listened to the context.

Cobb interviews well. Not self righteous like Spake was too.

Edited by NoTailT

5 minutes ago, NoTailT said:

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/disruption-not-usually-fault-of-on-island-air-traffic-controllers/

Sorry it was on MR, not Moultons. Had listened to both in succession. Go to 02:03 he refers to it being heavily unionised and it van be an issue if they clock off at 1 minute past their shift.

I think he just misspoke when he said 'unionised', I suspect he meant to say 'regulated'.  Those regulations are actually not set as part of union/employer but by the CAA and themselves are mainly dictated by EU-wide regulation and evidence within broader, worldwide agreements.  This document gives an outline of CAA policy with links.  There is some flexibility, but I get the impression that IOM Airport are using most of that already.

Presumably if a country decided it wanted to do things it own way, it would soon find that no airline wanted to fly there.

3 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

I think he just misspoke when he said 'unionised', I suspect he meant to say 'regulated'.  Those regulations are actually not set as part of union/employer but by the CAA and themselves are mainly dictated by EU-wide regulation and evidence within broader, worldwide agreements.  This document gives an outline of CAA policy with links.  There is some flexibility, but I get the impression that IOM Airport are using most of that already.

Presumably if a country decided it wanted to do things it own way, it would soon find that no airline wanted to fly there.

I'm not sure if he did or didn't use the wrong terminology, I suspect he might. But it didn't come across great.

That aside, these interviews with Chris and Gary have been useful and there is a degree of hope.

2 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Even 400 is tight for a London, IoM, fail to get in after attempting and having to divert.

But we need something bigger than 30 seats on London anyway.

Perfect size to open up new markets to more regional airports in my view. Open up to Glasgow, Leeds, South West etc.

13 minutes ago, NoTailT said:

But we need something bigger than 30 seats on London anyway.

Perfect size to open up new markets to more regional airports in my view. Open up to Glasgow, Leeds, South West etc.

It may be enough for LHR and LCY if EZY cover Gatwick.

Got to admit, having flown in, and out of Stansted in the last week it’s growing on me, especially the Express to Liverpool Street.

5 hours ago, manxfisherman said:

Get this guy in

In spite of spending all my working life on computer stuff, in some cases I still prefer a solution that uses people instead of technology - when things go wrong they are more flexible. With a remote ATC system, what happens in the worst case scenario of an accident that wipes out the ground handing cameras or data links? Who takes control?

If ATC was still done here, Lloyd Bridges would go up to the control tower, take off his sunglasses, say "I guess I chose the wrong day to give up smoking" and take control of the situation - because he would still be able to see  out of the window.

• Haha 1