Airport.

Billy kettlefish

4 minutes ago, NoTailT said:

But as you keep telling us, the LCY route will appeal to one audience, easyjet to another.

I'd rather see a joined up thinking approach to all this. easyJet is what it is, it's a Gatwick people mover.

A City schedule like above for Aberdeen is just what the IOM business community needs and would allow Loganair to repurpose capacity on City to alternative routes. I think Loganair could then ditch the morning LCY rotation and swap it for Manchester (which is what we really need too) and they can pad the schedule out through the day. Loganair work closely with BA, I think some joined up DFE and DOI thinking could really make something good happen between the two to give us the type of connectivity we really need.

easyJet can continue to do easyJet and move bulks at whatever time, if you aren't sensitive to travel times.

Well I agree that if there was some strategic thinking about this there might be a solution . If you look back at posts I made some time ago I suggested as such but posters on here literally just laughed me out . 

London City is a great airport and is useful for a far broader audience than just business , people just need to understand it . I personally know of several people who use it and like it for going to visit family and friends in central London and around . 

I have just never believed we should rely on EasyJet only for the London market but I maintain a lot of people cannot see beyond a headline price ticket which in itself can be misleading because it does not include bags etc . 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

Flybe closed the IOM base in 2014 but continued flying to/from IOM until they went bust in early 2020, albeit often using wet leased aircraft.

Minister of Infrastructure David Cretney MHK has expressed his sadness and concern regarding today’s news that Flybe are to close their aircraft base at Ronaldsway at the end of March 2014.

Flybe announced earlier in the week that it has carried out a strategic review and that this review would lead to rationalising their UK network and reducing the number of regional airport bases. Part of the announcement highlighted the making of around 500 redundancies across the British Isles.

Today, Flybe has confirmed that it will be closing the base on the Isle of Man and several other regional airports. Currently 3 aircraft are based at Ronaldsway.  One aircraft was going to leave at the end of the March when Flybe stops operating the Gatwick route. However, Flybe has informed their local staff today that they face redundancy in the New Year. About 50 people could be affected.

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, bonatti said:

Flybe closed the IOM base in 2014 but continued flying to/from IOM until they went bust in early 2020, albeit often using wet leased aircraft.

Minister of Infrastructure David Cretney MHK has expressed his sadness and concern regarding today’s news that Flybe are to close their aircraft base at Ronaldsway at the end of March 2014.

Flybe announced earlier in the week that it has carried out a strategic review and that this review would lead to rationalising their UK network and reducing the number of regional airport bases. Part of the announcement highlighted the making of around 500 redundancies across the British Isles.

Today, Flybe has confirmed that it will be closing the base on the Isle of Man and several other regional airports. Currently 3 aircraft are based at Ronaldsway.  One aircraft was going to leave at the end of the March when Flybe stops operating the Gatwick route. However, Flybe has informed their local staff today that they face redundancy in the New Year. About 50 people could be affected.

Well except as my second link shows, if they closed it in 2014, it must have reopened again to be closed in 2020.

28 minutes ago, flyingpeelman said:

Closed 31st March 2014. 
Crews from mainly Manchester & Birmingham operated flights/ overnighted in hotels. 
Re-Opened as a crew base April 2019 ( roughly) 

Was due to close at end of March 2020 as a crew base. 

Only reopened the once. 

Let's not forget the Stobart for Flybe stints and their sizeable crew base.

• Like 1

It seems that it is official now, that the airport is not a shambles. What it needs is additional resilience🤔

"The Isle of Man’s airport is not a ‘shambles’ but work is underway to draw up a masterplan to improve its performance.

It follows a string of issues at Ronaldsway – most recently flight cancellations on Monday caused by air traffic control staffing issues.

Infrastructure Minister Chris Thomas says additional ‘resilience’ is needed."

Edited by emesde
Spelling
  • Haha 1

Just now, emesde said:

It seems that it is official now, that the airport is not a shambles. What it needs is additional resilliance🤔

"The Isle of Man’s airport is not a ‘shambles’ but work is underway to draw up a masterplan to improve its performance.

It follows a string of issues at Ronaldsway – most recently flight cancellations on Monday caused by air traffic control staffing issues.

Resilience is the exact word I've been using here for quite some time.

I'd still say it's a shambles.

1 hour ago, emesde said:

I really thought that line was going to go

"The Isle of Man’s airport is not a ‘shambles’ but work is underway to make it one”

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, emesde said:

It seems that it is official now, that the airport is not a shambles. What it needs is additional resilience🤔

Additional Resilience!!

No just resilience. 
if it had any at all we would not be in this mess.

Chris Thomas nor the present manager are responsible for the present shambles but it will be also worth looking at the checks and balances that are in place at present which allowed such a shambles to emerge.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Chris Thomas talked around a lot of issues this morning, including aircraft safety on a number of occasions, I hope that is or does not become an issue.  Most of the current issues would appear be be related to inaction or poor planning in the past.  What we need immediately is action to resolve the problems and not endless management speak.

19 minutes ago, Cypman said:

Chris Thomas talked around a lot of issues this morning, including aircraft safety on a number of occasions, I hope that is or does not become an issue.  Most of the current issues would appear be be related to inaction or poor planning in the past.  What we need immediately is action to resolve the problems and not endless management speak.

Exactly. I was surprised that Chris Thomas connected the 'resilience' issue to the development of a 'masterplan'. 

I would have thought that the 'masterplan' will be a medium term, aspirational document, covering routes, airline mix, passenger numbers, travel experience, operational effectiveness, financial performance, sustainable recruitment etc. 

Ensuring that the Airport has the 'resilience' to know whether, or not, it can open tomorrow, is a matter that needs resolving now, or at least within (say) 30/60 days. It shouldn't be getting tangled up with medium term planning. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2