Airport.

Billy kettlefish

4 hours ago, Nellie said:

I too want to give Mr Cobb a fair chance, but he let himself down badly in today's interview by trying to create a disconnect between the decision to tell airlines that the Airport 'might not open on time' on Monday and easyJet's decision to cancel their Liverpool flight. He just waffled on about the multitude of reasons why it might have been cancelled and ignored the fact that his team were quite clearly the sole cause of the problem, and that easyJet had said so, on their tracker. He's got into IOMG Teflon mode, really quickly.

Agreed, full of flannel. Whatever airlines decisions were, and he can go on as long as he likes about airlines make decisions for various reasons blah blah, the root cause of this was ATC staff shortage. 

This is a problem that pre-dates his arrival but, and it's a big but, it existed the moment he walked in the door. Same goes for the other chappie, who's been there considerably longer,  who told us nothing we needed to know in the radio biopic thing earlier. 

As Cypman said 

3 hours ago, Cypman said:

Sadly, trained Air Traffic Control Officers are currently like rocking horse s..t, and it takes forever to train a new one from scratch.  Consequently, this problem is likely to be quite difficult to solve and may result in many more management speak briefings.

If the question, "why are you still not recruiting controllers when it's as clear as the pope is Catholic, that there is a chronic shortage " had been asked, we may have got something approaching the truth. 

Instead, not our fault, we'll have a masterplan blah blah blah. And I'll bet the masterplan will be another layer of civil service bean counters rather than actual operative staff.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, gerremonside said:

No translation needed really.

Thanks for this, believe name it is. I know nothing about the airport and stuff.

How much money does IOM Government spend on it each year, or where can I find out please? Prepared to learn

13 minutes ago, Apple said:

Thanks for this, believe name it is. I know nothing about the airport and stuff.

How much money does IOM Government spend on it each year, or where can I find out please? Prepared to learn

It would be small cost to upkeep other than replacing light bulbs etc when required, but it was recently part of a £9m project to resurface the runway and taxiways

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.gov.im/news/2021/oct/01/9m-project-delivers-firm-footing-for-isle-of-man-airport/&ved=2ahUKEwj0p7Sqi-D6AhVTZ8AKHWyHAvEQFnoECBcQAQ&usg=AOvVaw1P1omcYASfjc1Ny7uDZBwz

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, gerremonside said:

It would be small cost to upkeep other than replacing light bulbs etc when required, but it was recently part of a £9m project to resurface the runway and taxiways

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.gov.im/news/2021/oct/01/9m-project-delivers-firm-footing-for-isle-of-man-airport/&ved=2ahUKEwj0p7Sqi-D6AhVTZ8AKHWyHAvEQFnoECBcQAQ&usg=AOvVaw1P1omcYASfjc1Ny7uDZBwz

I see Rob has claimed responsibility for the work  being on time and budget  only they seemed to forget the lights ? something stinks about this project  and its time this lot was either appearing before a Tynwald committee or fired out the door !

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

IMHO the money spent resurfacing RW 21 could have been better spent on an approach lighting upgrade for RW 26.  Commercial aircraft movements on 21/03 are few and far between.

2 hours ago, Cypman said:

IMHO the money spent resurfacing RW 21 could have been better spent on an approach lighting upgrade for RW 26.  Commercial aircraft movements on 21/03 are few and far between.

Loganair use it, and you would be very glad of it if you needed the air ambulance out of limits on 26 !

I think it was Sundays London City that didn't go as 21 was closed.

Edited by asitis
  • Like 1

Saw this in the downstairs passenger holding area at the airport this morning. How can we employ such tits in the Government that can't get someone to proofread that they've put a "0" instead of an "O" in their advert. Even better, there's 3 of these big boards up too, all showing the same mistake.

received-566034568311423.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 5