Airport.

Billy kettlefish

5 hours ago, doc.fixit said:

I'm totally flummoxed by all this talk of runways and meteorology All me and my family want is a good customer experience in the airport and safe, comfy 'planes that are on schedule.

I realise that weather and faults can cause delays but good communication with the travelling public and support getting other flights or accommodation would go such a long way to getting on-side with customers.

Just go back in time to the 1980s and you'll have what you want.

Simples!

Edited by GD4ELI
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, snowman said:

I believe easyJet have used it for a landing. Albeit only once or twice 

Not a landing. They would never allow a circling approach to either within their company operating minima. Also with any load, landing distance available would preclude use. 

I have however seen an empty 319 use it for departure. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, gerremonside said:

Capt Quine was also the last Captain to land a Dash 8 Q400 on runway 21, and not a lot of people know that.... 

Capt Quine best MHK  we never had , pity he lost out, had common sense  and a social conscience , ! shame when you see what we have finished up with .

• Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, gerremonside said:

They would never allow a circling approach to either within their company operating minima

Care to share the extract from their FCOM? Is it a performance limitation? A 320 at max landing weight into 35kts would be marginal but a 319?

Edited by Utah 01

2 hours ago, Utah 01 said:

Care to share the extract from their FCOM? Is it a performance limitation? A 320 at max landing weight into 35kts would be marginal but a 319?

I haven't seen it Utah, but it's not particularly the LDA that I believe would limit operations to land on 21, but the fact there is no IAP. Therefore this  would need an approach to 26 and visual break over high ground to land 21. Like I say,I haven't seen the company ops manual but would be massively surprised to see either a 320 or 319  Visual manoeuvre to do so.   According to the ILS approach plate, the break would have to be flown commencing at 1190ft due to aircraft Category, and if the wind was SWly 35 kts, it's also highly likely there'd be cloud below that level limiting the visual break anyway.

The IAP is the ILS26 and you are quite correct, the circling minima east of 03/21 is 1190'.

With 1190' being used as the MDA and still IMC then, of course, the missed approach for 26 is initiated.

If no circling minima was published I could understand your reticence but, personally, I'd not be very impressed with a pilot who can't handle circling approaches.

Let me assure you, with a really strong SW'ly, the likelihood is that the cloud base is well above minima as it was yesterday.

Of course, you could be unlucky and have a day when Ronaldsway is experiencing 35kt fog.

Just heard the new airport director on the nations mouthpiece defending vanity projects, runway extension was good as we can run bigger planes to far flung places. I thought we had to have it or the biggest thing we could have was microlights, and not the ones that could carry two. We cannot run a 40 minute flight to Liverpool less anywhere further afield. In fact could not see anything that was not needed, next thing he will be saying that the runway resurfacing was a good fiscal project and delaying purchase of lights means we can drive a harder bargain. All he needs is 18 million and he can carry on the good work started by Renolds and Spake. Still no oil for trolleys. Another numpty, god we can get them

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dirty Buggane said:

Just heard the new airport director on the nations mouthpiece defending vanity projects, runway extension was good as we can run bigger planes to far flung places. I thought we had to have it or the biggest thing we could have was microlights, and not the ones that could carry two. We cannot run a 40 minute flight to Liverpool less anywhere further afield. In fact could not see anything that was not needed, next thing he will be saying that the runway resurfacing was a good fiscal project and delaying purchase of lights means we can drive a harder bargain. All he needs is 18 million and he can carry on the good work started by Renolds and Spake. Still no oil for trolleys. Another numpty, god we can get them

It doesn’t matter how long or wide our runway is if nothing can land due to weather conditions as our radar is shit. 

• Like 1