Airport.

Billy kettlefish

12 hours ago, Utah 01 said:

The IAP is the ILS26 and you are quite correct, the circling minima east of 03/21 is 1190'.

With 1190' being used as the MDA and still IMC then, of course, the missed approach for 26 is initiated.

If no circling minima was published I could understand your reticence but, personally, I'd not be very impressed with a pilot who can't handle circling approaches.

Let me assure you, with a really strong SW'ly, the likelihood is that the cloud base is well above minima as it was yesterday.

Of course, you could be unlucky and have a day when Ronaldsway is experiencing 35kt fog.

The circling approach to 21 is quite unique. It’s not really a circle at all, it’s a break to land. Having flown a fair few of these approaches I can attest that if you try and fly it like a standard circling approach, you will f**k it up. Circling approaches are typically where you fly an instrument approach to one end of the runway, and then fly a visual circuit to land on the other end. That is what the circling minima really relates to. The 21 break is completely different, and you   turn directly onto left base for 21 from the 26 approach continuing the decent. There is no level downwind phase.

Pilots are invariably trained to fly the standard circling approach in the simulator, not the type we have for 21, so any pilot who won’t do it because they are not comfortable doing it gets a thumbs up from me.

Regarding what’s going on at the airport, well I’ve been quiet in the matter for quite a while waiting to see what the new regime would bring. I have been incredibly disappointed by the recent statements made by Mr Cobb. Whoever is briefing him on technical matters really hasn’t got a clue.

Edited by madmanxpilot
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, Utah 01 said:

The IAP is the ILS26 and you are quite correct, the circling minima east of 03/21 is 1190'.

With 1190' being used as the MDA and still IMC then, of course, the missed approach for 26 is initiated.

If no circling minima was published I could understand your reticence but, personally, I'd not be very impressed with a pilot who can't handle circling approaches.

Let me assure you, with a really strong SW'ly, the likelihood is that the cloud base is well above minima as it was yesterday.

Of course, you could be unlucky and have a day when Ronaldsway is experiencing 35kt fog.

Utah01, as MMP says above, its a fairly unique break to land approach. That said the Manx Airlines 146, ATP and Shorts guys were very good at it and in fairly regular practice. 

Your statement "I'd not be very impressed with a pilot who can't handle circling approaches." doesn't accommodate well the fact that the locally based ATR crews are not in regular practice, and the EasyJet Airbus crews are very infrequent visitors (as individuals).  Your gung-ho view doesn't sit too well with aviation safety... 

Also there are many days in the year when cloud base is near or below 1200ft, and it tends to be invariably covering the high ground in proximity to the 21 final approach. This would significantly dissuade even a bold aviator from attempting the break. 

Edited by gerremonside

4 minutes ago, gerremonside said:

Utah01, as MMP says above, its a fairly unique break to land approach. That said the Manx Airlines 146, ATP and Shorts guys were very good at it and in fairly regular practice. 

Your statement "I'd not be very impressed with a pilot who can't handle circling approaches." doesn't accommodate well the fact that the locally based ATR crews are not in regular practice, and the EasyJet Airbus crews are very infrequent visitors (as individuals).  Your gung-ho view doesn't sit too well with aviation safety... 

Also there are many days in the year when cloud base is near or below 1200ft, and it tends to be invariably covering the high ground in proximity to the 21 final approach. This would significantly dissuade even a bold aviator from attempting the break. 

As Frank Spencer said, ‘there are old pilots, and there are bold pilots, but there are no old bold pilots’

Spot on regarding the local experience. I was taught how to fly the approach by senior pilots at Manx Airlines when I was a rookie FO. In turn I passed on the knowledge when I was in the LHS.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, gerremonside said:

when cloud base is near or below 1200ft, and it tends to be invariably covering the high ground in proximity to the 21 final approach.

You're either visual or you're not at 1190' - and there is no terrain to interfere with the approach.

Gung ho!? Give me a break - onto 21, any day of the week.

1 hour ago, madmanxpilot said:

so any pilot who won’t do it because they are not comfortable doing it gets a thumbs up from me.

No problem with that but it should be within the competence of any professional pilot.

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/money-is-needed-to-maintain-the-airport-says-new-director/

I fear we have another Reynolds in charge, the last line fills me with dread !

These people wouldn't know a vanity project if it hit them in the face !  Maybe get the cross runway open, that's not a vanity project, fix the luggage trolleys, make sure security and others realise the general public are not their enemy, and they can smile and provide a service without compromising security . I am yet to be impressed with this guy !!

• Like 5

51 minutes ago, asitis said:

"He said money hasn't been spent on vanity projects:"

Half-a-dozen bar code scanners? Layout change so that the queue is formed somewhere other than it was before?

A control tower with so much concrete it can withstand a nuclear blast? - And it still looks to me like an East German border post.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, asitis said:

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/money-is-needed-to-maintain-the-airport-says-new-director/

These people wouldn't know a vanity project if it hit them in the face !  Maybe get the cross runway open, that's not a vanity project, fix the luggage trolleys, make sure security and others realise the general public are not their enemy, and they can smile and provide a service without compromising security . I am yet to be impressed with this guy !!

Or just wash that fucking tunnel that everyone has to walk through, and replace the plywood ‘windows’. This is the first thing arriving passengers see. Surely Cobb must look at this shitty area and think “Actually, this isn’t good enough.” 

Edited by Nellie
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Nellie said:

Or just wash that fucking tunnel that everyone has to walk through, and replace the plywood ‘windows’. This is the first thing arriving passengers see. Surely Cobb must look at this shitty area and think “Actually, this isn’t good enough.” 

If he's like the others we have had in charge, simply managing the airport is not enough, the CV demands that we forward think and cater for the millions of passengers we can attract if we have a ....... .

We have supposedly always employed "industry experts" but the place is still a bloody shambles !

• Like 3