Airport.

Billy kettlefish

10 minutes ago, Utah 01 said:

By having an island based and owned airline. That is the only solution and if it can be done for a steam boat, it can be done for an aircraft or two.

People are already complaining that the ferry is over £500 return at Christmas. 

Calls for IOMG to run an airline are complete folly. 

These are the same people that cant even oil the wheels so that their citizens can have a credit card.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Calling for IOM gov to run an airline is imo folly, as they can't run a bath ! Which is a great pity, as undoubtedly after the demise of Flybe, there was most certainly an opportunity to do something different.

However that does not mean I don't think anything can be done. There is clear illustration at the moment that open skies is folly, I believe that was another political vanity act. The reality of the situation is simply this, we don't have the numbers to support multiple airlines on multiple routes, without underwriting some in either fees or actual cash injections.

We need an arms length (from Government) operator to be given the routes, with contractural obligations and pricing parameters, perhaps with incentives to fully establish a base here with engineering and local employment where possible.( Here is maybe a chance to start the ball rolling on new taxpaying residents ) The patient transfer contract is already a place to start !

Based aircraft and based engineering are the best practical guarantees of a service.

We have thrown long millions at the airport, much of it wasted by so called experts, who have proven to be anything but, and achieved little. It is never going to be in the interests of any company to fully commit to the island whilst there is always the chance some other short lived operator can move onto a successful route and start a price war.

Aviation isn't cheap, and in this post collapse world it is never going to be so.

Reliability however is maybe a premium worth paying.

Edited by asitis
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, asitis said:

Calling for IOM gov to run an airline is imo folly, as they can't run a bath ! Which is a great pity, as undoubtedly after the demise of Flybe, there was most certainly an opportunity to do something different.

However that does not mean I don't think anything can be done. There is clear illustration at the moment that open skies is folly, I believe that was another political vanity act. The reality of the situation is simply this, we don't have the numbers to support multiple airlines on multiple routes, without underwriting some in either fees or actual cash injections.

We need an arms length (from Government) operator to be given the routes, with contractural obligations and pricing parameters, perhaps with incentives to fully establish a base here with engineering and local employment where possible.( Here is maybe a chance to start the ball rolling on new taxpaying residents ) The patient transfer contract is already a place to start !

Based aircraft and based engineering are the best practical guarantees of a service.

We have thrown long millions at the airport, much of it wasted by so called experts, who have proven to be anything but, and achieved little. It is never going to be in the interests of any company to fully commit to the island whilst there is always the chance some other short lived operator can move onto a successful route and start a price war.

Aviation isn't cheap, and in this post collapse world it is never going to be so.

Reliability however is maybe a premium worth paying.

This is spot on.

If IOM Government were to try and launch an airline they would end up with Bus Vannin of the Skies no doubt run by Stelios Longworth at massive expense to the taxpayer. 

The other side of it is that Government simply doesn't have the money that it used to and is rapidly burning through reserves, so this kind of enterprise is (or should be) beyond their means. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 10/28/2022 at 11:11 PM, snowman said:

The ferry has always been silly money around Christmas and New Year. 

With the price of oil and inflation driving a demand for pay rises, some people are going to have a shock tomorrow when the 2023 sailings and fares are released. They'll be about 10% more than 2022 based on the current pricing mechanism.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, asitis said:

Hopefully if it happens it won't be some dodgy outfit, Blackpool, IOM has been a magnet for dodgy operations for decades !

Because it’s not a viable airport or route.

Blackpool is looking for a start up operator.

• Like 1

On 10/28/2022 at 11:11 PM, snowman said:

Calls for IOMG to run an airline are complete folly. 

These are the same people that cant even oil the wheels so that their citizens can have a credit card.

Well obviously if you leave booking until 8 weeks before for a peak period then it will be more than if you had booked 12 months ago , no sympathy for whining idiots!! Some expect the steam packet to provide subsidized fares to locals, all this would do would mean the government ie taxpayers picking up any shortfall!!

• Like 1

Just had a look, 2 adults and car ex  IOM 19 Dec, return 29 Dec, £345 or if I take the evening sailing on 19th comes out at £241. TBH not that different from other times of year and I don't think it is exorbitant.  

ETA if I move the departure to 22nd, goes up to £520,  you just have to choose your times. On the other hand, to fly and train at the same time, how much would that be  including limited luggage allowance? 

Edited by Gladys
  • Like 3

36 minutes ago, Banker said:

Well obviously if you leave booking until 8 weeks before for a peak period then it will be more than if you had booked 12 months ago , no sympathy for whining idiots!! Some expect the steam packet to provide subsidized fares to locals, all this would do would mean the government ie taxpayers picking up any shortfall!!

yeah, I always know when I'm going to have to travel for family reasons, whatever, 12 months in advance, that's the thing about life, never throws a curve ball.

I don't think reasonable priced travel supplied by a company the people have paid for is too much to ask, is it?

The cost of booking late should be a lack of choice, not institutional greed

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hoops said:

yeah, I always know when I'm going to have to travel for family reasons, whatever, 12 months in advance, that's the thing about life, never throws a curve ball.

I don't think reasonable priced travel supplied by a company the people have paid for is too much to ask, is it?

It’s called supply & demand, see example given by Gladys. Some people expect to travel at the time & date they want at short notice for a cheap price but don’t want to be flexible to get cheaper prices , they need to get in the  real world & stop whining 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Hoops said:

Travel at Xmas is hardly unexpected, but I suppose if it is for an emergency, it might be a bit steep.  But so it would be if you chose to fly. 

People always knock the Steammie, but they are a commercial outfit, even if they are owned by IOMG, they still have to operate commercially.  

• Like 1