Airport.

Billy kettlefish

12 hours ago, Gladys said:

How do you assess the fares as punitive and profiteering?  What are you measuring them against and do you know how they measure up against costs?

They need to make a profit to give the shareholders a return on their investment.  I won't close the loop on that line of thinking for you. 

well, talking recently to a friend in Orkney, an ex-IOM resident, about the ferry service they get. Islander discounts, friends and family discounts. Aberdeen to Kirkwall is some 130 miles, 3 grades of price, depending on the season, clearly shown.

foot passenger fares range between £14.70 and £22.40, vehicles from £58.10 - £79.10, each way.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Hoops said:

well, talking recently to a friend in Orkney, an ex-IOM resident, about the ferry service they get. Islander discounts, friends and family discounts. Aberdeen to Kirkwall is some 130 miles, 3 grades of price, depending on the season, clearly shown.

foot passenger fares range between £14.70 and £22.40, vehicles from £58.10 - £79.10, each way.

How much are those fares subsidised? I am sure there was quite a detailed debate about Scottish island ferry fares on here some years ago. 

2 minutes ago, Gladys said:

How much are those fares subsidised? I am sure there was quite a detailed debate about Scottish island ferry fares on here some years ago. 

Spanish Island residents get 'resident rates' on flights.

Many examples not far away - incl Scotland - of resident fares.

Let commercial and tourism pay their price, subsidise the residents.

MrsNoTailT and I are going on holiday for a week late November. I've just paid £560 return for the pair of us to get to Heathrow. I'm sorry but what part of this is economically sustainable for Island residents?

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, Gladys said:

They are subsidised, couldn't tell you by how much. But it seems that by buying out steampacket, without any real debate, we've incurred, as a nation and as travellers, all the costs but non of the benefits.

Although, of course, we do subsidise horse boxes. That must be from walter Gilbey's days, right?!

I like the honesty of their pricing. It's a lucky dip with steampacket, you can't be sure of what you'll pay.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Gladys said:

There are two types of subsidy. 

1. Fleet ownership and renewal. 100% financed and owned by CalMac Maritime Assets - owned by the Scottish Executive. Makes our lot look parsimonious over Liverpool landing stage. Glen Sannox and it’s, as yet unnamed sister hull, estimated at £50 million each, are each 5 years late and 5 times over budget. That’s right, total for 2 new ferries, much smaller than Manxman, £500 million. Manxman on time and on target for £67 million.

2. Operational subsidy. The operators bid for who can deliver ticketing and crewing and deliver the service by way of franchise. The winning bid is normally the one claiming least subsidy. Traditionally the subsidy is between 50-60%. Even more traditionally the state owned CalMac wins the franchise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, NoTailT said:

MrsNoTailT and I are going on holiday for a week late November. I've just paid £560 return for the pair of us to get to Heathrow. I'm sorry but what part of this is economically sustainable for Island residents?

I’m going away for the weekend, 25-28 November £198 return, car + 2.

Away 5 January to 31 January £256 car + 2 + 2 dogs

49 minutes ago, NoTailT said:

Why should the bulk of residents who don’t travel subsidize those residents who want to go on holiday?? How would you suggest the subsidy is paid for, perhaps a separate travel tax on everyone to subsidize all the travelers.

It seems at the moment everyone wants everything paid for from energy, food, hospitality, travel plus healthcare on demand 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, NoTailT said:

The Spanish and Scottish examples reflect travel within the same country.   Tenerife to Madrid:  a domestic Spanish route.   Stornoway to Ullapool: a domestic UK route.     Are there any examples of a cross border PSO route, such as Liverpool to Douglas would be?     

12 hours ago, hissingsid said:

Last time I flew from Blackpool, a few years ago obviously, they charged us £10 tax at the airport to leave and my friend had to pay £40 odd pound because her cabin case was oversized according to them although it was fine at Ronaldsway on the way over.   We swore we would never use Blackpool Airport again as they were robbing bastards.   No wonder they closed down shortly after people won’t be done over twice.    The airline itself was pure Michael Mouse the man who was at the ticket desk was the pilot it was like going back 60 years.   Blackpool Airport will never rise from the flames and does not deserve to.

Sid ,60 years ago "British United Airways" operated out of Blackpool Airport flying Dakota aircraft (with one flight a week going to Dusseldorf ) and was perhaps slightly better than the time you refer to (when the aircraft resembled a 2 CV with wings😉). BUA  had a few more staff back then :flowers:

• Like 1

I used to fly with Manx 2 to Blackpool quite regularly , it was an excellent friendly  service , train to Preston , and get anywhere is the UK from there  and occasionally caught the bus to the lakes or Scotland , 

and the flights were excellent value for money ,  I am sure a similar small setup would  be successful . The construction company who purchased the airport introduced the extra fee for using the facilities at the airport , 

Wharton in Peston would be another small airport that would be useful also used by BAE , but with potential 

• Like 2

We must have loads of money around, I've just heard the masterplan to build the new terminal where the EAM hangars are and move the fire station and relocate all lighter aircraft to the South Side is very much alive and kicking ! Seems we have Reynolds 2 in charge ! 

Meanwhile the safety of the airport is seriously downgraded by aircraft having to operate at close to or beyond demonstrated crosswind limits, but the administrative closure of 21 / 03 is too difficult to sort out as a matter of priority.

Can we not just get someone who wants to run an airport !

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, paswt said:

Sid ,60 years ago "British United Airways" operated out of Blackpool Airport flying Dakota aircraft (with one flight a week going to Dusseldorf ) and was perhaps slightly better than the time you refer to (when the aircraft resembled a 2 CV with wings😉). BUA  had a few more staff back then :flowers:

I flew on that Dakota several times. We once made it from Blackpool take off to IoM approach in 17 minutes with a tailwind.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, doc.fixit said:

How are folk getting on with the parking app? I just refuse to use it, a minor protest but why should I line the pockets of an off island company?

Bring back the old system, it worked well, it was customer friendly and the substantial profits stayed on island.

something tells me the DOI are busy investigating   introducing this App based payment system for all their car parks , time for Mr Moorhouse  to ask a few questions , truth is were employing civil servants  to sit around and do nothing , cant be arsed  collecting   money or doing what they are paid to do , RUN CAR PARKS ! easy to farm it out and sit back no worries !

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Omobono said:

something tells me the DOI are busy investigating   introducing this App based payment system for all their car parks , time for Mr Moorhouse  to ask a few questions , truth is were employing civil servants  to sit around and do nothing , cant be arsed  collecting   money or doing what they are paid to do , RUN CAR PARKS ! easy to farm it out and sit back no worries !

The problem is, they'll probably end up paying PDMS or some other contractor they always use £250k to develop their own if they like it that much.