Airport.

Billy kettlefish

Jeez, it's so frustrating. There are so many items that have gradually declined and become so customer unfriendly over recent years. They make less or no profit, indeed they become a waste of money, year on year, the Govt. interferes, messes and makes things so much worse. Are they deliberately trying to create chaos and disaster 'cos that's what it seems like.

So often these or similar words appear on these and other forums or sites and the Govt. either ridicules or ignores them. Don't they use the services they wreck or are they above that?

What is so frustrating is there is nothing we can do about it. Don't some sarcastic gobshite come on and say that we put them there or other glib words. Yes, we vote folk in, in good faith but we are trying to select from a poor sample who play at being politicians of a great big country but seem to forget that we are just a small population who need a good, basic infrastructure that works, a good communications system both telecommunications wise and physical and also, that we are not a second Singapore, New York or swinging London. 

We are a small, proud, wonderful jurisdiction that needs a small governing body who have the population's best interests at heart, not an empire building monolith with dreams of grandeur, on a world stage, that is trying to emulate Blackpool leisure gardens and Sunset Boulevard crossed with London's financial district.

Of course, my dream will never happen, there are too many vested interests and too much cash being made by the few, whilst preening figures make believe they are important on the world stage.

Wait a minute, my tea's ready, that'll do, a good woman, a warm house and a full belly! Maybe I shouldn't expect more.

Happy Hop tu naa (spelling ?) 😎

Edited by doc.fixit
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 8

14 hours ago, doc.fixit said:

We are a small, proud, wonderful jurisdiction that needs a small governing body who have the population's best interests at heart, not an empire building monolith with dreams of grandeur, on a world stage, that is trying to emulate Blackpool leisure gardens and Sunset Boulevard crossed with London's financial district.

THIS ...... and it will be our downfall !

With the amount of personnel we have working and voting for government, it is akin to a communist block vote to ensure their survival.

Edited by asitis
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/impossible-to-control-airlines-says-airport-director/

"Gary Cobb says it is they – and not government – which make the decisions about flying to and from the Isle of Man."

Unless you throw millions at underwriting certain routes or tender for the patient transfer service. Seems to me like Gov is fully capable of dictating routes when it suits them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

14 hours ago, doc.fixit said:

Jeez, it's so frustrating. There are so many items that have gradually declined and become so customer unfriendly over recent years.

They need to sort it out. A business customer of mine was over last week. She’s now told me that our next meeting is to be in Liverpool as she can’t be arsed coming through Ronaldsway again as it was so bad getting back the other day. Added ‘Your airport has been f**king terrible since covid ended why isn’t your government doing anything about it as it must be putting loads of customers off. To which I replied ‘Sadly our government doesn’t give a s**t about anything’. So looks like I’m now wasting a day and a half a month in a Liverpool moving forward trying to keep a client happy. 

• Like 7

38 minutes ago, Wavey Davey said:

They need to sort it out. A business customer of mine was over last week. She’s now told me that our next meeting is to be in Liverpool as she can’t be arsed coming through Ronaldsway again as it was so bad getting back the other day. Added ‘Your airport has been f**king terrible since covid ended why isn’t your government doing anything about it as it must be putting loads of customers off. To which I replied ‘Sadly our government doesn’t give a s**t about anything’. So looks like I’m now wasting a day and a half a month in a Liverpool moving forward trying to keep a client happy. 

What you say is true, and I’m sure you and others will be greatly inconvenienced, and spending additional expenditure getting to Liverpool to conduct meetings, to maintain business relationships, in order to support yourself, family and the island. 

IOMG does care ………..,……. But it’s not for the customer or consumer. It cares for IOMG. Its decisions are thought out by Civil Servants who don’t care about their decisions. The Airport Director whilst I am sure is experienced and can do the job capably, he won’t be helped by interference, especially from politicos, and the useless Department of Infrastructure led by a Minister who always knows best, has an answer for everything and knows it’s value. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, 2112 said:

What you say is true, and I’m sure you and others will be greatly inconvenienced, and spending additional expenditure getting to Liverpool to conduct meetings, to maintain business relationships, in order to support yourself, family and the island. 

Her point was it’s a tiny airport. It’s not Heathrow or Manchester so why does it take 2 hours of stress to go through a really badly managed security process. It should just work efficiently as there aren’t that many flights. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Wavey Davey said:

Her point was it’s a tiny airport. It’s not Heathrow or Manchester so why does it take 2 hours of stress to go through a really badly managed security process. It should just work efficiently as there aren’t that many flights. 

Badly disorganised and coupled with shite equipment, which is poorly maintained, and operated by minimum wage employees. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Wavey Davey said:

I've flown a lot through Ronaldsway in the last 12 months and I can't recall a single bad security experience. I normally rock up for Loganair flights 30-40mins before departure without any hassle.

Security used to be very bad and I haven't flown many easyJet flights to see a busier influx at security, but it does seem to have improved greatly recently.

Edited by NoTailT
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Wavey Davey said:

use the boat, it will be a quicker A - B time.

1 hour ago, NoTailT said:

I've flown a lot through Ronaldsway in the last 12 months and I can't recall a single bad security experience. I normally rock up for Loganair flights 30-40mins before departure without any hassle.

Security used to be very bad and I haven't flown many easyJet flights to see a busier influx at security, but it does seem to have improved greatly recently.

I’ve not had any problems either, always quick & no issues. The only pain is easyJet calling the flight before the incoming flight has landed & getting you to wait in cramped conditions for 20/25 minutes!! But they do that at every airport 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, swoopy2110 said:

Also not had any issues at IOM security. There were pics a while ago with long queues but I haven't heard of there being a problem for a long time

Same experience for me . The only time it can get a bit busy is when there is a full easyjet flight.

But even then  the queue is much better than at LGW and MAN .

And you don't have to walk nearly a mile to get to your aircraft. 

However the airport itself needs a bit if a tidy up.. looks quite tired..The luggage trolleys are a disgrace.. I've never seen trolleys in such a terrible state anywhere else in the world ( full of rust / wheels don't move ) 

Edited by mad_manx