Airport.

Billy kettlefish

5 hours ago, swoopy2110 said:

Also not had any issues at IOM security. There were pics a while ago with long queues but I haven't heard of there being a problem for a long time

Prepare for those stories to return. Thanks to zero planning with airline scheduling each Sunday afternoon throughout the winter there is set to be 3 easyjet, a loganair and an aer lingus departure within an hour of each other.

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, snowman said:

Flybe have chosen to add a new service from Heathrow to Newcastle (already served by BA) 

Flights begin in less than a week, 7 November, and are replacing the airline's Isle of Man service.

Times and slots are near identical to what was proposed for IOM.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, mad_manx said:

https://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/minister-disappointed-with-flybes-decision-570582

I suppose no one told him that they decided to fly to Newcastle instead of the IOM. 

https://www.businesstraveller.com/business-travel/2022/11/01/flybe-to-link-newcastle-with-london-heathrow/

(Assuming   that they use the same type of aircraft to IOM )

The whole matter is an absolute disgrace it shows Flybe for who they are and clearly demonstrates they don’t have a clue what they are doing . I feel for those people who booked and now have to go through the hassle of claiming back a refund and booking a new flight . 

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

Times and slots are near identical to what was proposed for IOM.

On a route that will be more profitable and less hassle.  Who can blame them?

I was booked on both routes and Belfast is now a bit of a ball ache as have to continue going via Manchester, but I can only assume that bookings weren’t sufficient to make it viable so they have selected a route that is.

1 hour ago, IOM said:

The whole matter is an absolute disgrace it shows Flybe for who they are and clearly demonstrates they don’t have a clue what they are doing . I feel for those people who booked and now have to go through the hassle of claiming back a refund and booking a new flight . 

A commercial company doing what a commerical company does? Flybe 1.0 went under partly because it lost so much cash operating loss making routes. 

I don't blame them. The real mugs here are DOI and DfE 

• Like 3

The real mugs are the Manx public who allowed politicians and their lackeys to impose Open Skies policy when all the evidence pointed towards the situation we now have being the result.

Politicians and their lackeys who were so convinced that the Island was a global superpower with air traffic figures to match that operators would be falling over themselves to serve and grab a piece of the action.

Politicians and their lackeys who have now departed the scene with eye-watering pension entitlements and/or pay-offs.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 6

3 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

The real mugs are the Manx public who allowed politicians and their lackeys to impose Open Skies policy when all the evidence pointed towards the situation we now have being the result.

Politicians and their lackeys who were so convinced that the Island was a global superpower with air traffic figures to match that operators would be falling over themselves to serve and grab a piece of the action.

Politicians and their lackeys who have now departed the scene with eye-watering pension entitlements and/or pay-offs.

THIS in spades.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, WTF said:

i'm still sticking with an airport with only half the runways available is likely to increase compensation claims so flybe said fuck that and left.

I don't know about that, but with certainty the safety margin of the airport has been reduced as operators are operating close to the demonstrated crosswind limits of their aircraft with 21 being unavailable for those who would use it !

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, 0bserver said:

A commercial company doing what a commerical company does? Flybe 1.0 went under partly because it lost so much cash operating loss making routes. 

I don't blame them. The real mugs here are DOI and DfE 

Sorry I disagree . Having made such a big thing about returning to the island they shouid have at least given it a few months . To pull it with two days notice and claim it was a lack of aircraft only to switch to another airport is extremely disingenuous.  I am not involved in the airline industry but I could have told them that Isle of Man to Heathrow would not work when there is already an established competitor on the route the passenger numbers are there for anyone to see. If it happened in any other industry or sector I can only imagine the outcry . . For example imagine going to your local supermarket to buy a loaf of bread paying for it then then saying sorry we can’t let you leave with that loaf because we don’t make any money selling it-frankly it’s absurd. But that’s exactly what’s happened here . Why should we accept such a poor standard from an airline ? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IOM said:

Sorry I disagree . Having made such a big thing about returning to the island they shouid have at least given it a few months . To pull it with two days notice and claim it was a lack of aircraft only to switch to another airport is extremely disingenuous.  I am not involved in the airline industry but I could have told them that Isle of Man to Heathrow would not work when there is already an established competitor on the route the passenger numbers are there for anyone to see. If it happened in any other industry or sector I can only imagine the outcry . . For example imagine going to your local supermarket to buy a loaf of bread paying for it then then saying sorry we can’t let you leave with that loaf because we don’t make any money selling it-frankly it’s absurd. But that’s exactly what’s happened here . Why should we accept such a poor standard from an airline ? 

Because for 20+ years we have promoted Open Skies. A fallacy that does nothing to promote sustainability or commitment to routes. 

It was fine when  there were multiple regional airlines prepared to serve us one after another, but now there aren't, and we're reaping the rewards of years of failed policy. 

ETA I just can't buy into this idea promoted by some that airlines some how owe us, or that we're doing them a favour by allowing them to fly here. 

IOM is a small backwater airport, not the Heathrow-On-Sea that some of the GMP think it is or former Civil Servants actually believed it to be. 

Edited by 0bserver
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, IOM said:

Sorry I disagree . Having made such a big thing about returning to the island they shouid have at least given it a few months . To pull it with two days notice and claim it was a lack of aircraft only to switch to another airport is extremely disingenuous.

They just won’t be guaranteed the load factor on either route. That’s why they pulled it. 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Wavey Davey said:

They just won’t be guaranteed the load factor on either route. That’s why they pulled it. 

Yes I agree . However it was obvious that the load factors would never be met anyone could see that when there are two EasyJets to Gatwick most days two rotations to London City and Heathrow already with Loganair . So I do blame Flybe as even the most basic piece of desk top analysis would get you to that point before you even started . And I very much doubt anyone from government specifically asked them to come here . Some posters on here seem to think it acceptable that a company lets its customers down in a matter of days . Personally I don’t maybe think about all those who have to go through a tedious refund process and rebook at a likely higher price . 

I think as someone said earlier, the absolute nonsense here is open skies, We have to move on past the Reynolds era where we were becoming a major regional airport , with millions of passengers and lots of destinations. The bottom line is we don't have the passenger numbers to support any of this pie in the sky shit !

What company in their right mind, would invest heavily in the island both in terms of cash and resources when there is always the chance someone else can move in and pinch the route once they see it is successful !

We have listened too long to weak minded politicians, who in turn have their rose tinted glasses and egos massaged by people for who the island is another step on their CV.

I recall a reported conversation with an ex Chief minister many years ago when someone pointed out the horrific costs that the airport was about to undertake .. his reply... " I don't care as long as it's better than Jersey"

Please can someone just run this airport in the best manner it can be run, commensurate with budgets and numbers and regulatory issues. Can we offload the dreamers and get back to the core function of an airport, which is getting people on and off aircraft as quickly and as pleasantly as possible.

I am not sure the new director has any interest in the above paragraph at all, but I hope so.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 7