Airport.

Billy kettlefish

4 minutes ago, NoTailT said:

Hence its a terrible aircraft of choice for the Isle of Man.

It's an accountants aircraft, probably one of the few capable of making sense with our passenger numbers !

Of course if we had anyone capable of running an airport and keeping basic function facilities open, i.e. a runway catering for the predominant SW gales at this time of year, things would be better.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

Good job Loganair don't have plans to have a shit load of them 

https://simpleflying.com/loganair-orders-atr-replace-saab-340s/

Its a terrible choice for the Scottish Islands too.

As @asitis says, it's a bean counters aircraft. Cheap to buy/lease and cheap to run.

Loganair awarded Heathrow slots will make it attractive to someone to buy now at a guess.

Edited by NoTailT

1 hour ago, 0bserver said:

Chris Thomas now says DOI won't be publishing the airport review they've had carried out. 

Makes you wonder just how bad it must be... critical safety failings is my guess.

I think the report you're referring to was titled "Strategic Air Services Review" or something similar, and was more about the routes, services, airlines, subsidies and Open Skies vs Closed Skies. It wasn't about the day-to-day operational aspects of the Airport.

So, very unlikely to involve 'critical safety failings' or anything similar.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Nellie said:

I think the report you're referring to was titled "Strategic Air Services Review" or something similar, and was more about the routes, services, airlines, subsidies and Open Skies vs Closed Skies. It wasn't about the day-to-day operational aspects of the Airport.

So, very unlikely to involve 'critical safety failings' or anything similar.

So wheres the issue in publishing it then?

On 11/5/2022 at 12:28 PM, Ringy Rose said:

It's an off-island franchisee. The problem is the lack of staff, whenever I've been there's been one poor soul on trying to do everything. Needless to say the queue is slow. Although I normally take my drink with me, often the flight is called (especially with EasyJet) and then we get to sit in that horrible room downstairs for 20 minutes before boarding.

The problem I think is the fact that there is only one barista machine and really only one person can use it.

I've never understood why the bar area is so big, I've never seen any more than three people waiting to get served for alcoholic and other drinks in an evening. If they swapped the areas over I'm sure they'd be able to get two barista machines working and give the service that the customer deserves for the price they pay. 

11 hours ago, gerremonside said:

ATR 72 crosswind limit is 28 kts wet, 35 kts dry. 

Wind 210° 28kt, gusting 38kt. Visibility 10km or more. Clouds few 1000ft, scattered 1400ft. Temperature 15°C, dew point 13°C. QNH 1012hPa. No significant change.

Probably not going to be a good day today then !

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Andy Onchan said:

The problem I think is the fact that there is only one barista machine and really only one person can use it.

I've never understood why the bar area is so big, I've never seen any more than three people waiting to get served for alcoholic and other drinks in an evening. If they swapped the areas over I'm sure they'd be able to get two barista machines working and give the service that the customer deserves for the price they pay. 

I've been there when there's been 20 people queuing at the bar. Friday early evening

Does make you wonder what the airport actually view as priorities doesn't it.

At the moment securities mission appears to be, make everyones lives as difficult as possible, the rumours about new terminal abound, but we can't seem to grasp that 03/21 is vital for the next few months unless we want repeated days like today !

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, asitis said:

Does make you wonder what the airport actually view as priorities doesn't it.

At the moment securities mission appears to be, make everyones lives as difficult as possible, the rumours about new terminal abound, but we can't seem to grasp that 03/21 is vital for the next few months unless we want repeated days like today !

Last week they seemed to be testing every other person for explosives including me!! I did ask why we’re testing so many compared to Uk airports & guy said we’ve been told to.

Other than the testing & basically making everyone strip off belts, shoes, coats etc it was fine!

18 minutes ago, Banker said:

Last week they seemed to be testing every other person for explosives including me!! I did ask why we’re testing so many compared to Uk airports & guy said we’ve been told to.

Other than the testing & basically making everyone strip off belts, shoes, coats etc it was fine!

They lack any sort of proportionality, a good way to encourage customers back to the airport is to be as shitty as possible as this seems to be the recruitment policy of the jerks providing security !

• Thanks 3