Airport.

Billy kettlefish

On 11/15/2022 at 4:09 PM, Giggleberrys said:

If ATC was outsourced (for example to Peel Holdings who run Liverpool) it wouldn't be as a charitable gift, it would more likely cost more than it currently does being run "in house".

But is ATC currently being 'run'? 

It's reportedly massively short staffed (6(ish) staff out of an optimal 15 is it?) and for such a safety critical service that should be concerning. It would only take a wave of covid to close the Tower completely. 

There's random delays and closures due to staff shortages and the mandatory restrictions on hours.

The current model is not sustainable.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, 0bserver said:

It's reportedly massively short staffed (6(ish) staff out of an optimal 15 is it?) and for such a safety critical service that should be concerning. It would only take a wave of covid to close the Tower completely. 

There's random delays and closures due to staff shortages and the mandatory restrictions on hours.

Lazy incompetent management always cull, and report how many savings they have achieved, the seeds for the current situation were sown, and known a long time ago. Bullshit Bertha left the place a shambles I hope this new guy is better and not from the same school of management.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, 0bserver said:

Yes outsourcing it would certainly make sure it was fully staffed at all times.  Just like the outsourced cafe/bar,  the outsourced Lounge,  the outsourced security . . . . 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Yes outsourcing it would certainly make sure it was fully staffed at all times.  Just like the outsourced cafe/bar,  the outsourced Lounge,  the outsourced security . . . . 

The competentcy of an ATC service is generally greater than that of a shit cafe/franchise coffee shop operator, as they're governed by the UK CAA. 

Unless there's now some kind of Cafe Police that now go around judging shit cafes?

Has anyone seen the Rendezvous lounge open over the last few months. I've been through the airport 3 or 4 times over the last 2 months and have never seen it open.

As per Google it says its permanently closed ( but sometimes this happens if several users report that it was closed) 

I sent an email to menzies last week about this and have not had any response  yet .

2 hours ago, mad_manx said:

Has anyone seen the Rendezvous lounge open over the last few months. I've been through the airport 3 or 4 times over the last 2 months and have never seen it open.

As per Google it says its permanently closed ( but sometimes this happens if several users report that it was closed) 

I sent an email to menzies last week about this and have not had any response  yet .

No sign on life on Wednesday night when I flew out. 

Had a interesting chat to a lady from Aussie with son on Island who she has just visited. Says shes not coming back as the travel through Heathrow and departing Ronaldsway was terrible. Two flights cancelled , in the end they flew her to Gatwick , put her up for two nights in hotel , voucher for transport to hotel and a few enlighting tales told to her in IOM Menzies guy called Paul. Brilliant customer service as she had been brought to tears by it all. They also rerouted her Aussie flight too. TBH was knackered because of my own travel but pretty sure had 3 flights impacted. Teck reasons given initially , then the other flight waiting for a part to come to fix another plane. She is adamant shes not coming back as at her age its too much to deal with and her son will have to visit her. God knows what damage this incompetent operation is doing for the future of potential visitors. Ohhh , bright note Easyjet at 8 pm was just a few minutes late setting off but landed on time and full. Airport though apart from that was empty. Never seen it so quiet but 3 or 4 Loganair /Menzies staff doing nothing .Not sure was there a later flight out.

Edited by Numbnuts
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, mad_manx said:

Yep. Open on Monday 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ellanvannin2010 said:

It looks like Loganair have only managed to operate one of the early LCY rotations this week.

Not exactly ideal for encouraging business travel.

I hope we are not underwriting this sort of performance.

One of the ATRs has been tech today. They've had 2 E145s flown in across today to operate some flights and MCR is running with a 5+ hour delay.

1 hour ago, swoopy2110 said:

One of the ATRs has been tech today. They've had 2 E145s flown in across today to operate some flights and MCR is running with a 5+ hour delay.

Loganair don't have the spare aircraft, so when one goes tech you just have to wait. Manchester outbound is 5 hours late as they're flying it with an E145 from the other end. I wonder if they put people on the Liverpool outbound flight, which went on time, or made them wait.

The problem is the ATR72 isn't the most reliable of aircraft, designed by the Italians and built by the French, but it's cheap to run, which is why a lot of airlines use the ATR72.

It isn't good enough though. And it'll be costing them a fortune in UK261 compo. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, asitis said:

I think one of the tech issues was in connection with an aircraft oxygen bottle. Like many things in aviation, the spare aircraft bottle is not allowed to fly so had to be shipped over, caused a long delay.

Think this is right as the Aussie women mentioned having to ship in a part .

Edited by Numbnuts