Airport.

Billy kettlefish

On 11/1/2021 at 10:57 AM, NoTailT said:

Liverpool and Manchester.

I don't particularly agree with paying some of the easyjet fares I've had to pay recently, especially to Gatters. But to the NW - however expensive - it's guaranteed to be cheaper than Loganair.

In the past I always found Flybe gave easy a good level of competition in terms of the fares they charged.

By the time you've booked a bag it often isn't, or not by much. For my last trip across Loganair were cheaper with a bag. This next time EasyJet are cheaper by a fiver.

Of course there's competition to the NW. EasyJet saw off the competition to London, and so the Gatters fares now are taking the absolute piss.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, dreamon said:

Surely this could have been set up 'in house' using their own IT staff?

https://www.gov.im/about-the-government/departments/cabinet-office/government-technology-services-gts/

🤣 Good one. My ribs hurt now. By the time they had gone through their internal procurement, business case studies and decided which fonts to use, we'd all be teleporting and the Airport would be a trasnport museum. After all how long did it take them to get the covid case & vaccine dashboards working properly?

Besides, they'll probably too be too busy preparing for the roll out of Windows 11 or planning their Christmas party.

• Haha 4

On 11/1/2021 at 10:28 AM, IOM said:

Where did I say I insisted local jobs were a proviso for air routes ? What I said is it’s great to see an airline providing a local maintenance team . To my knowledge EasyJet have nobody on the island . I recognise there is a balance of airline operators and a role for EasyJet but I just think having boots on the ground is good to see . 

Sadly I don't think anyone has ever been bothered about local jobs and their importance to the economy, particularly whilst the island was swilling in VAT cash. Notwithstanding the Flybe collapse, I refer to years ago, when Flybe had 4 aircraft based here together with crew and maintenance. When the Brown administration got possessed with a "Low cost carrier" at any cost, Flybe appointed a CEO who said anywhere that didn't have 4 aircraft was not a "base", of course they then went on to say that if Easy came on the routes, they would withdraw at least one aircraft and the "base" jobs would be lost. This is of course what happened and loads of staff left the island either for good or to work away in other countries. Of course Flybe some years later collapsed in any case, but I do wonder what importance should have been attached to many staff living here and paying tax and NI etc. One thing it did guarantee was staff and aircraft here for the red eye ! It's a different world now and we need serious thought to move forward, it is well beyond time to employ an aviation professional instead of the jokes that have been in charge !

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, asitis said:

Sadly I don't think anyone has ever been bothered about local jobs and their importance to the economy, particularly whilst the island was swilling in VAT cash. Notwithstanding the Flybe collapse, I refer to years ago, when Flybe had 4 aircraft based here together with crew and maintenance. When the Brown administration got possessed with a "Low cost carrier" at any cost, Flybe appointed a CEO who said anywhere that didn't have 4 aircraft was not a "base", of course they then went on to say that if Easy came on the routes, they would withdraw at least one aircraft and the "base" jobs would be lost. This is of course what happened and loads of staff left the island either for good or to work away in other countries. Of course Flybe some years later collapsed in any case, but I do wonder what importance should have been attached to many staff living here and paying tax and NI etc. One thing it did guarantee was staff and aircraft here for the red eye ! It's a different world now and we need serious thought to move forward, it is well beyond time to employ an aviation professional instead of the jokes that have been in charge !

A good summation of the 'benefit' of the Open Skies. The gift that keeps giving. A big country policy inappropriately applied to a tiny jurisdiction by people with delusions of grandeur.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, madmanxpilot said:

A big country policy inappropriately applied to a tiny jurisdiction by people with delusions of grandeur.

The whole of Government is still wedded to this in so many facets of administration.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

6 hours ago, madmanxpilot said:

A good summation of the 'benefit' of the Open Skies. The gift that keeps giving. A big country policy inappropriately applied to a tiny jurisdiction by people with delusions of grandeur.

Somebody needs to tell them this policy is resulting in one way fares from London Gatwick to the Isle of Man of up to £284.00 ( before bags) in Christmas week. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, asitis said:

It's a different world now and we need serious thought to move forward, it is well beyond time to employ an aviation professional instead of the jokes that have been in charge

The decision to court EasyJet went way above airport management. 

I don't have an issue with EasyJet per se, they have their place. They just can't be relied on to provide essential flights, that's not what they are about. EasyJet are good at shifting people and they keep the other airlines on their toes.

But EasyJet pushed Flybe and Eastern off the Belfast City route, with the resultant loss of regular flights to both Newcastle and Belfast.

I fear the same will happen with Manchester flights.

Eastern were going to come back before Covid, but only because Teesside's mayor was going to pay for it, not us. We're a small island, I don't see why subsidising an airline to serve us is seen as a bad thing. Loganair have interline agreements so they'd be better placed compared to Eastern, but there needs to be an open tender.

If we want to be a grown up finance and gaming hub, a holiday airline flying to Gatwick at random times charging ludicrous fares isn't going to cut it.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Ringy Rose said:

The decision to court EasyJet went way above airport management. 

I don't have an issue with EasyJet per se, they have their place. They just can't be relied on to provide essential flights, that's not what they are about. EasyJet are good at shifting people and they keep the other airlines on their toes.

But EasyJet pushed Flybe and Eastern off the Belfast City route, with the resultant loss of regular flights to both Newcastle and Belfast.

I fear the same will happen with Manchester flights.

Eastern were going to come back before Covid, but only because Teesside's mayor was going to pay for it, not us. We're a small island, I don't see why subsidising an airline to serve us is seen as a bad thing. Loganair have interline agreements so they'd be better placed compared to Eastern, but there needs to be an open tender.

If we want to be a grown up finance and gaming hub, a holiday airline flying to Gatwick at random times charging ludicrous fares isn't going to cut it.

Well , airport management (Annie) was hired originally to facilitate the decision, which the intellectual colossus Tony Brown backed in 2006 with buckets of taxpayers cash, despite being forewarned of the consequences, which are those you have outlined. As others have said we have the mentality of Heathrow on Sea, the reality of which is the paucity of services we now have !

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4