Airport.

Billy kettlefish

25 minutes ago, IOM said:

Indeed . Might also be worth comparing with how much the taxpayer pays Aurigny to run their own airline in Guernsey! 

The tax payer doesn’t directly subsidise Aurigny. It owns it. It guarantees the losses and piles in loans or more capital. Over 10 years it has cost the states over £100 million.

There have been longstanding proposals to lengthen the Guernsey runway to allow larger planes to land. They’ve just been rejected on the basis that bigger planes mean fewer flights and would damage Aurigny and make the basket case terminal.

Edited by John Wright
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, 0bserver said:

I'm indifferent towards them. 

I think the loathing is due to the undisclosed amount of taxpayer's money that Lognanair are being given. But as you point out there's not exactly a wealth of airlines knocking at our door wanting to service the island. 

Is it undisclosed? I'm not sure it is.

1 hour ago, John Wright said:

There have been longstanding proposals to lengthen the Guernsey runway to allow larger planes to land. They’ve just been rejected on the basis that bigger planes mean fewer flights and would damage Aurigny and make the basket case terminal.

Exactly what has happened here, no more passengers, but more hoovered up by easy jet, fewer destinations than ever before and subsidies necessary. All as predicted in 2006.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, IOM said:

The clue is in the fact they have retained the flight times but switched it to London City ! I have had my issues with Loganair throughout the year and experienced poor service several times but I just don’t get the extreme loathing of them by some . Yes they could be better at times but I would like to understand what the other options are for the island other than hand it over to EasyJet and see a big reduction in frequency. But maybe I am missing something? 

The real issue is connections. Love it or loathe it (I am in latter camp), Heathrow is where most long haul is. My daughter is connecting to Australian flight. Now has joy of Gatwick express as well. Thanks for info on Eliz line option - filing away for reference

10 minutes ago, Cinderella said:

The real issue is connections. Love it or loathe it (I am in latter camp), Heathrow is where most long haul is. My daughter is connecting to Australian flight. Now has joy of Gatwick express as well. Thanks for info on Eliz line option - filing away for reference

If there are no strikes then the Elizabeth Line is very easy from London City.

DLR to Woolwich then Woolwich to Heathrow on Elizabeth Line, I made an 11.30 flight from LHR with plenty of time to spare arriving on the early LCY flight at 08.25.

From LGW the best rail option IMO  is Thameslink to Farringdon and the Elizabeth Line from there to LHR, cheapest is train to East Croydon and the X26 bus to LHR but it takes a long time

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 0bserver said:

IOM Government trying to establish and run an airline is the stuff of nightmares. 

We would end up with a financial disaster or an aircrash disaster...  possibly both. 

Exactly steer well away . It’s why in context what the Isle of Man provides in incentives is very small in comparison. You either provide some support for key routes or end up leaving it all to EasyJet with a corresponding irregular schedule and low frequency. There are no easy options here unless you grow the population significantly and find a way of getting more of that population to fly like they do in Jersey .  Or maybe one of the posters on here who don’t like Loganair has another idea to share with us ? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, asitis said:

https://gsy.bailiwickexpress.com/gsy/news/air/?fbclid=IwAR36YFrP03YRy2zTE7Mnaty5KgAM-rRKbVxtuzDHzvpUDjhoFLdwOZ8A9XQ#.Y5IYttLTWf1

Pity that intellectual colossus Tony Brown didn't take any notice of an unbiased and evidence based report as 2006 !

Wonder if Guernsey will employ Bullshit Bertha as a consultant to force it ahead ?

That is EXACTLY what many of us have been telling the delusional politicos for years. Low cost carriers have their place, but not where frequent and reliable services are required by a small, isolated community. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, madmanxpilot said:

That is EXACTLY what many of us have been telling the delusional politicos for years. Low cost carriers have their place, but not where frequent and reliable services are required by a small, isolated community. 

Absolutely spot on could not agree more . 

• Like 4