Airport.

Billy kettlefish

3 minutes ago, forestboy said:

Download mine online on iPad and it’s cheaper. 
A win if newspaper plane doesn’t arrive for one reason or another.

Same here. Even the Manx Indie I have on an esub, plus I have various UK outlet subs and their associated apps on my ipad. Works wonders.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, NoTailT said:

But is there really justification in a special charter flight for newspapers...?

AFAIK, they come on the boat most days, and only fly when the boat doesn't sail. Presumably it's a commercial decision by Whites, the local distributor, or maybe the Steam Packet have to chip in if they cancel the boat. There's no inbound mail on a Sunday, and I doubt Loganair have any significant freight capacity on the ATR's, so not many options.

2 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

Are you sure there is a special charter flight? Don't they just go on the West Atlantic flight like everything else?

Yes, they have done so for yonks. They can't bring it on the ferry because the print deadlines are too tight for crossing times.

It's a small - once was a recreational passenger plane - used for carrying light parcels/freight like this. Though I note the post plane was cancelled again this morning, so maybe it was due over on that.

Look at DHL/FCX. They use a small plane to send parcels to/from the Island daily. You'd think there could be some joined up thinking between the Post Office and private sector to drive economies of scale and reliability rather than 3 small planes.

This is the DHL plane. Some times it also takes things to Dublin and some days they use a larger King Air.

Screenshot_20221211-161121_Flightradar24.jpg

2 hours ago, Nellie said:

AFAIK, they come on the boat most days, and only fly when the boat doesn't sail. Presumably it's a commercial decision by Whites, the local distributor, or maybe the Steam Packet have to chip in if they cancel the boat. There's no inbound mail on a Sunday, and I doubt Loganair have any significant freight capacity on the ATR's, so not many options.

Loganair are licensed to carry mail. They do so on scheduled services throughout Scotland, both mail and newspapers.

It wasn't too long ago that Loganair were trying to get West Atlantic booted off the postal flights and take it on themselves with their own freighter too.

42 minutes ago, NoTailT said:

Yes, they have done so for yonks. They can't bring it on the ferry because the print deadlines are too tight for crossing times.

It's a small - once was a recreational passenger plane - used for carrying light parcels/freight like this. Though I note the post plane was cancelled again this morning, so maybe it was due over on that.

Look at DHL/FCX. They use a small plane to send parcels to/from the Island daily. You'd think there could be some joined up thinking between the Post Office and private sector to drive economies of scale and reliability rather than 3 small planes.

This is the DHL plane. Some times it also takes things to Dublin and some days they use a larger King Air.

Fair enough. I was under the impression from a former fcx/fedex worker that the West Atlantic did royal mail and some of the other local couriers.

51 minutes ago, NoTailT said:

We could really get ahead of the game and get one of those cargo drones on the job.