Airport.

Billy kettlefish

24 minutes ago, Banker said:

Costa & the bar & the cafe outside have big problems recruiting staff because the wages are shit & the hours ar unsociable so lucky it’s open at all 

Yes..same with the lounge as they have to open earlier than normal shops ( I think they have to open at 0800) 

But I think its one of the best non airline lounges in Britain..

Decent choice of self serve alcohol/ snacks etc ..  I'm not bothered about the absence of hot food ..These days it's not that great in the non airline lounges anyway..

Edited by mad_manx

On 1/20/2023 at 5:53 PM, forestboy said:

This is getting ridiculous. Third world services. 
Director and government need to address and rectify this situation as a matter of urgency. 
Hope Loganair are billing Airport for extra fuel for holding overhead. 

Not very green either, is it? At what height does our biosphere end?!

Edit - could we charge a biosphere tax to all those planes flying overhead to exotic climes I can't afford to go to (Cork, etc)?

Edited by Hoops

7 hours ago, Gladys said:

The issue may be that the assistant was slightly confused, or didn't make the reason clear to TVOR.  TVOR could buy the alcohol, but not duty free.  Or it may be that it was only priced at the duty free price and there was no option to apply the price with duty and so  which she could not sell it to him. 

Possibly - and who can blame them.  But it may be that the shop was set up so the stock was still in bond - ie duty hadn't been paid.  So it couldn't be that it couldn't be sold to anyone who didn't qualify for duty-free.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Gladys said:

The issue may be that the assistant was slightly confused, or didn't make the reason clear to TVOR.  TVOR could buy the alcohol, but not duty free.  Or it may be that it was only priced at the duty free price and there was no option to apply the price with duty and so  which she could not sell it to him. 

Just for clarity. I was told “ you can’t buy alcohol if you are flying to the Isle of Man”

No rationale given or possible exceptions, alternatives given. Or the opportunity to buy it “ duty free”

Bloody Brexit. I told you it would be a disaster.

• Sad 1

13 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Just for clarity. I was told “ you can’t buy alcohol if you are flying to the Isle of Man”

No rationale given or possible exceptions, alternatives given. Or the opportunity to buy it “ duty free”

Bloody Brexit. I told you it would be a disaster.

Looks like LPL doesn't have too many flights to CTA  airports.. All I can see is IOM and Belfast 

Wonder if they have made a decision to not serve this market ?

Edited by mad_manx

11 minutes ago, mad_manx said:

Looks like LPL doesn't have too many flights to CTA  airports.. All I can see is IOM and Belfast 

Wonder if they have made a decision to not serve this market ?

I checked. In any 24 hour period there are 12-15 departures to CTA destinations, including IoM, Belfast, Derry, Cork, Dublin and Jersey.

But then duty free isn’t anything to do with CTA.

As far as Duty free/VAT free is concerned it’s not available if your flight is domestic within the UK & IoM common customs and VAT union.

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, John Wright said:

I checked. In any 24 hour period there are 12-15 departures to CTA destinations, including IoM, Belfast, Derry, Cork, Dublin and Jersey.

But then duty free isn’t anything to do with CTA.

As far as Duty free/VAT free is concerned it’s not available if your flight is domestic within the UK & IoM common customs and VAT union.

As far as I know you can buy the duty free alcohol when flying between the Irish Republic and the UK ..

Jersey used to be allowed before brexit.  Don't know how it is now. 

Doesn't that mean that only IOM and Belfast travellers are affected?

Edited by mad_manx

6 minutes ago, mad_manx said:

As far as I know you can buy the duty free alcohol when flying between the Irish Republic and the UK ..

Derry, as well. You linked it to CTA. I’m pointing out it isn’t linked to Common Travel Area, but the customs union between the UK and IoM. Jersey isn’t in the customs union but it is in the UK single market post Brexit.

For VAT and customs duties you are right that Dublin and Cork, which are in the CTA, and in the EU, are not in the UK customs union. So duty free is available, post Brexit.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mad_manx said:

Yes, indeed. I have bought duty free in Dublin flying here and it was fine.

31 minutes ago, Cinderella said:

Yes, indeed. I have bought duty free in Dublin flying here and it was fine.

I was coming home recently from LHR on the Loganair flight.  In the airside shopping area, IIRC, booze etc. displays were clearly labelled as being for international or UK purchase.  I know that we have a unique status and all that, but it isn't hard to work out which items to buy.