Airport.

Billy kettlefish

56 minutes ago, John Wright said:

I get patted down. The swab tests done. And my chair subject to intense inspection. Every  trip.

Unconscious Disability discrimination? Or Justified.

Unfortunately that's the current policy for those in wheelchairs in most airports . I've seen people with foldable chairs allowed to walk through the metal detector  ( if they can walk for a short distance) and the chair goes through the xray. They are not patted down or swab taken from the body  from what I've seen..But chairs are often swabbed.

Agree that it's not fair..Hopefully newer scanners might reduce the need to do this in the future..

1 hour ago, John Wright said:

I get patted down. The swab tests done. And my chair subject to intense inspection. Every  trip.

If there is identical behaviour at all airports, they are working to a common standard.

The only time I have been subjected to checks that were unusual in comparison to other airports was at Ronaldsway during the first big queue problem.

This drives me mad when accompanying my mum. She is in the airport wheelchair we just collected 5 metres away outside. She is nearly 93 but no - she is virtually strip searched. Hat off, coat, scarf etc. Made to stand up and patted all over. It is embarrassing and only happens to that degree here - not in the returning airport. I quietly seeth so if you see someone one there on Tuesday looking very frustrated, it is me. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

If there is identical behaviour at all airports, they are working to a common standard.

Or maybe the common standard to which they are working is rooted in unconscious disability discrimination? 

18 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

The only time I have been subjected to checks that were unusual in comparison to other airports was at Ronaldsway during the first big queue problem.

No I disagree from personal experience 

22 minutes ago, mad_manx said:

Unfortunately that's the current policy for those in wheelchairs in most airports . I've seen people with foldable chairs allowed to walk through the metal detector  ( if they can walk for a short distance) and the chair goes through the xray. They are not patted down or swab taken from the body  from what I've seen..But chairs are often swabbed.

Agree that it's not fair..Hopefully newer scanners might reduce the need to do this in the future..

20 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

2 minutes ago, Cinderella said:

This drives me mad when accompanying my mum. She is in the airport wheelchair we just collected 5 metres away outside. She is nearly 93 but no - she is virtually strip searched. Hat off, coat, scarf etc. Made to stand up and patted all over. It is embarrassing and only happens to that degree here - not in the returning airport. I quietly seeth so if you see someone one there on Tuesday looking very frustrated, it is me. 

Just now, Zarley said:

Or maybe the common standard to which they are working is rooted in unconscious disability discrimination? 

Just now, Cinderella said:

No I disagree from personal experience 

My question was rhetorical really. It’d beep like mad if I drove it through the body scanner. It’s mildly frustrating, but I can’t see the alternative.

Just now, John Wright said:

My question was rhetorical really. It’d beep like mad if I drove it through the body scanner. It’s mildly frustrating, but I can’t see the alternative.

I understand the need for security. But question the inhumanity of the over enforcement. Other airports (and I have been through a few with her) follow more basic common sense and respect for someone’s dignity. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cinderella said:

I understand the need for security. But question the inhumanity of the over enforcement. Other airports (and I have been through a few with her) follow more basic common sense and respect for someone’s dignity. 

Manx solutions for Manx problems!

6 minutes ago, finlo said:

Manx solutions for Manx problems!

The last time I went through Ronaldsway security I inadvertently left the ziploc plastic bag with my liquid containers in it in my carry-on bag.

Nobody noticed...

• Haha 2

Big Reynolds was on the inbound Gatwick yesterday morning. Does she still have interests or a base here? Or was she just here to make sure that Cobb isn’t showing her up, with massive improvements like getting the  luggage trolleys oiled or the passenger walkway cleaned, all during his first six months at the helm. 

If the latter, she’ll have been reassured.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Nellie said:

Big Reynolds was on the inbound Gatwick yesterday morning. Does she still have interests or a base here? Or was she just here to make sure that Cobb isn’t showing her up, with massive improvements like getting the  luggage trolleys oiled or the passenger walkway cleaned, all during his first six months at the helm. 

If the latter, she’ll have been reassured.

I thought it impossible, but he's making her look good !!

• Haha 2

New level of stupidity at the airport. My mum was able to stand up from wheelchair and walk through the scanner - just like everyone else. We were using airport wheelchair, but no, they also then insisted on a full frisk search of a 93 year old too. To say I was angry is an understatement- she went through the scanner! What did they think they would find? Why is she subject to higher scrutiny that me or any other passenger. 

Edited by Cinderella

3 minutes ago, Cinderella said:

New level of stupidity at the airport. My mum was able to stand up from wheelchair and walk through the scanner - just like everyone else. We were using airport wheelchair, but no, they also then insisted on a full frisk search of a 93 year old too. To say I was angry is an understatement- she went through the scanner! 

They're doing it to keep you safe. To keep everyone safe.

• Haha 4