Airport.

Billy kettlefish

1 minute ago, madmanxpilot said:

I cannot recall them chartering in anyone to do any flying for them when Van Air were here - although I stand to be corrected.

Van Air was the company who did the flying for Citywing (who as we all know we’re just a ticket seller) - so it may be that once Van Air we’re given the boot, Citywing tried other aircraft operators - but I honestly have no recollection of that fact. 

https://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/citywing-passengers-still-facing-major-disruption-213552

They initially got a Saab 340 from Sprint Air over. Then I recall them getting in a BAE 146/RJ for a few days from somewhere and I'm sure Links Air Jetstream.

It financially ruined them beyond any recoverable position. I know the ticket seller side and I think we both agree how the Island would be very well served by a similar operator flying small aircraft to regional destinations as they did.

54 minutes ago, NoTailT said:

Chartering in a Titan A320 won't be cheap by any means.

I wonder if it's caused by the earthquake response for Turkey/Syria making use of the smaller planes that might be more suitable for regional airports in the area.  Didn't someone say they'd seen pictures of Flybe-branded planes there?

Just now, Roger Mexico said:

I wonder if it's caused by the earthquake response for Turkey/Syria making use of the smaller planes that might be more suitable for regional airports in the area.  Didn't someone say they'd seen pictures of Flybe-branded planes there?

G-LMTE is very much on the ground in the IOM and has been for 45hrs.

Loganair has a crewing issue at the moment also due to better pay and conditions at Emerald.

2 minutes ago, madmanxpilot said:

Were these leasings after VA went, in an attempt to keep the business going, or when they were here? 

It would have taken a lot for VA not to fly.

They were the leasings after VA was grounded in an attempt to survive.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, madmanxpilot said:

Were these leasings after VA went, in an attempt to keep the business going, or when they were here? 

From a Manx radio report back at the time :

Flights operated by Island-based Citywing have been further disrupted, leaving around 60 passengers stranded in Liverpool

An aircraft chartered by the ticket seller has suffered a technical problem - and is not able to fly.

The Titan Airways Boeing 737 had been due to make a return flight  to Liverpool this afternoon (27 Feb) but is currently stranded at Ronaldsway.

The Boeing flew Citywing passengers to Newcastle and Glasgow at the weekend, with onward road transport laid on for those heading to Gloucester and Blackpool.

However, today's return flight to Liverpool did not leave Ronaldsway, after a technical fault was noticed on its return from an earlier flight to Belfast.

The flight was to provide an air link for passengers booked to Glasgow, Blackpool and Gloucester; around 60 counterparts heading back to the Isle of Man had already arrived in Liverpool by the time the replacement had 'gone tech'.

The plane was chartered by Citywing last week, after aircraft operated by its partner Van Air were grounded on Thursday (23 Feb).

Civil aviation officials are investigating after a Van Air plane unable to land at Belfast during Storm Doris, had to return to the Island.

Charter firm Titan Airways based at Stansted could not provide a crewed replacement aircraft.

• Thanks 1

Just now, madmanxpilot said:

Just read the link to the press article. It seems those leasings were after VA went, probably in a desperate attempt to keep the business afloat whilst Citywing tried to secure the services of another operator who met their long term requirements. That obviously didn’t happen and using the stop gap aircraft was always unsustainable.

If VA had operated professionally in accordance with the rules then they would likely still be here. It’s a shame.

6 minutes ago, madmanxpilot said:

If VA had operated professionally in accordance with the rules then they would likely still be here. It’s a shame.

Yes I guess this sums it up really . But if you don’t act in accordance with the rules then that’s what happens . I am just glad I was not on that Citywing plane the day it got grounded I suspect it was terrifying! 

• Like 2

Ad hoc chartering in of  airframes to replace your own which cannot be used for some reason, or which are needed to cater for acute extra demand, is standard industry practice. All airlines have to do it from time to time, and the expense will undoubtably have been budgeted for to some degree.

Edited by madmanxpilot