Airport.

Billy kettlefish

So apparently all the old hangers including West Atlantic have been condemned.

G-LMTE is still on the ground. Loganair have sent over an ATR42 but none of the local cabin crew can operate it because of single crew operation.

LMTE likely to be out of action for 6-8 weeks due to hard landing at IOM. Entire left gear strut needs replacing. Needs to be done in the Jet Centre as other hangars can't be used 🤦‍♂️

They need a proper hangarage plan ASAP.

1 hour ago, NoTailT said:

So apparently all the old hangers including West Atlantic have been condemned.

G-LMTE is still on the ground. Loganair have sent over an ATR42 but none of the local cabin crew can operate it because of single crew operation.

LMTE likely to be out of action for 6-8 weeks due to hard landing at IOM. Entire left gear strut needs replacing. Needs to be done in the Jet Centre as other hangars can't be used 🤦‍♂️

They need a proper hangarage plan ASAP.

I would have thought at the very least the local cabin crew that operated the 42 back in 2020/21 would be able to?.

Anyway on Sunday it had 2 cabin crew onboard

This is returning to another theme, and forgive me if I didn't spot comments about it up the thread, but I was dropping my other half off last week and noticed that all of the one-hour disc parking signs have been removed.  I assume that we now have to pay for every bay in the car park.  It will be like Manchester soon, where it seems that you have pay a shedload of money for driving anywhere near the place!

22 minutes ago, ellanvannin2010 said:

I would have thought at the very least the local cabin crew that operated the 42 back in 2020/21 would be able to?.

Anyway on Sunday it had 2 cabin crew onboard

Currency and training, only certified for multi crew ops currently. So likely will need two crew if using locals. They aren’t able to do single crew ops at the moment. I was told they were using some off-Island crews for single crew ops over the coming weeks.

Should also signify quality of forward loads that they’ve been able to sub in a 42.

44 minutes ago, NoTailT said:

Currency and training, only certified for multi crew ops currently. So likely will need two crew if using locals. They aren’t able to do single crew ops at the moment. I was told they were using some off-Island crews for single crew ops over the coming weeks.

Should also signify quality of forward loads that they’ve been able to sub in a 42.

I think the ATR 42 has 48 seats which is effectively the same as the Saab 2000 which I think had 50 seats and used to do three London City rotations. Probably overall a better size for Isle of Man / London City and Heathrow. Saab 2000 was a great plane it’s a shame they were retired . 

1 hour ago, Boo Gay'n said:

This is returning to another theme, and forgive me if I didn't spot comments about it up the thread, but I was dropping my other half off last week and noticed that all of the one-hour disc parking signs have been removed.  I assume that we now have to pay for every bay in the car park.  It will be like Manchester soon, where it seems that you have pay a shedload of money for driving anywhere near the place!

Not according to the Airport's own website:

image.png.729e277f2dd9d7517ed03b1941a5b6fa.png

[...]Anyone displaying a parking disc can use the car parks for free for one hour, so it will still be possible to organise payment while moving through the airport.

A further option is available by visiting the information desk inside the Isle of Man Airport building, providing your vehicle registration and using a payment card. It will not be possible to pay at the desk using cash. 

(Which doesn't make much sense, even as English, but that's government communications for you).

Presumably you can just park anywhere and use parking disc.  Which of course means they will be need to be people monitoring the car park all the time to prevent abuse.  Still think how much money they saved on buying a new barrier mechanism.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, IOM said:

I think the ATR 42 has 48 seats which is effectively the same as the Saab 2000 which I think had 50 seats and used to do three London City rotations. Probably overall a better size for Isle of Man / London City and Heathrow. Saab 2000 was a great plane it’s a shame they were retired . 

I miss the Saab. Robust and fast.

But since the 72s came on the scenes the crews aren't certified for single crew ops.

I'm also not sure how viable flying a 42 in to Heathrow is?

3 hours ago, Boo Gay'n said:

Yesterday the short stay car park had got disc zone signs. 

• Thanks 1

On 2/13/2023 at 2:47 PM, Roger Mexico said:

Which of course means they will be need to be people monitoring the car park all the time to prevent abuse

Once every day or two would catch those on parking discs. And the wardens do get to the Airport- quite a few cars with parking tickets on them when I was parked at Christmas.

Of course a parking ticket is the same as the maximum charge in the airport, so I suppose it's a good way of avoiding RingGo if you want to pay cash.

1 minute ago, doc.fixit said:

Just put the barriers back and a touch card payment...........please!

Just have ANPR at the entrance and exit to the car park with payment machines that take card or cash situated inside the airport.

When ready to leave enter your reg number on the machine and pay the charge shown. Penalty charge issued if you do not pay.

• Like 1

I see that the Airport have re-run their advert for new ATC's, first run in November, last year.

https://www.jobtrain.co.uk/iomgovjobs/Job/JobDetail?JobId=16151

Of course, it could be that these are newly authorised, additional, roles, but as the advert is identical it rather suggests a failure to recruit last time around. 

As we are only six weeks away from Summer timetables and opening hours, it looks as if they could be heading into that period with inadequate ATC cover, once again.