Airport.

Billy kettlefish

Currently on EZY637 at Liverpool which was supposed to leave at 7am. Captain has been on to say IOM airport is currently closed so we can't leave. Wanted to be overhead for landing as soon as they opened again but refused that too. Delayed until about 815am. Shambles of a place.

1 hour ago, swoopy2110 said:

Currently on EZY637 at Liverpool which was supposed to leave at 7am. Captain has been on to say IOM airport is currently closed so we can't leave. Wanted to be overhead for landing as soon as they opened again but refused that too. Delayed until about 815am. Shambles of a place.

If ATC is closed (presumably) then there would be no zone entry either. Shambles I agree.

3 hours ago, asitis said:

The boat looks more and more attractive sadly.

The CAA haven't released their consolidated 2022 figures yet, though I gave provisional figures here earlier in the month.  Those showed air passenger figures down by about a third against 2019, though it clearly was still suffering from post-Covid earlier in the year and November showed a bit of a rise at 69%.

The December figures are an improvement again at 74%, though it's possible that these flatter the underlying trend (even if you are cutting back your visits to family you will still try to get back for Christmas).  It's worth saying that these aren't untypical figures.  Jersey was 77% of its 2019 traffic in December and Guernsey 76%.  The overall comparison for all UK airports was 83.5%, though there will be a much higher bias to international traffic in that.

As for going by boat (less of a popular option for the Channel Islands), as I said on another thread, Harbours seem to have stopped issuing figures.  But last ones we do have, from end of September, showed year to date figures of 512,410, which is actually an increase on the equivalent 2019 figure of 489,150 of about 5%.  So maybe there has been some switching, though not in great numbers.

But it looks as if not much of the decline can be put down to the operation of the Airport rather than wider problems in the aviation industry, particularly in the domestic market and business travel.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Roger Mexico said:

The CAA haven't released their consolidated 2022 figures yet, though I gave provisional figures here earlier in the month.  Those showed air passenger figures down by about a third against 2019, though it clearly was still suffering from post-Covid earlier in the year and November showed a bit of a rise at 69%.

The December figures are an improvement again at 74%, though it's possible that these flatter the underlying trend (even if you are cutting back your visits to family you will still try to get back for Christmas).  It's worth saying that these aren't untypical figures.  Jersey was 77% of its 2019 traffic in December and Guernsey 76%.  The overall comparison for all UK airports was 83.5%, though there will be a much higher bias to international traffic in that.

As for going by boat (less of a popular option for the Channel Islands), as I said on another thread, Harbours seem to have stopped issuing figures.  But last ones we do have, from end of September, showed year to date figures of 512,410, which is actually an increase on the equivalent 2019 figure of 489,150 of about 5%.  So maybe there has been some switching, though not in great numbers.

But it looks as if not much of the decline can be put down to the operation of the Airport rather than wider problems in the aviation industry, particularly in the domestic market and business travel.

I'd argue a 22k increase is quite substantial.

23 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

How much of that increase is down to folk going across for medical treatment? There seem to be an increasing number of cars lined up after check-in to load first along with exec club members. 

6 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

How much of that increase is down to folk going across for medical treatment? There seem to be an increasing number of cars lined up after check-in to load first along with exec club members. 

They are just accessibility queue aren't they? Needing assistance, use of lift etc?

19 minutes ago, NoTailT said:

They are just accessibility queue aren't they? Needing assistance, use of lift etc?

Very possibly but I did speak with one couple who were on their way to Manchester (for some cancer treatment, as I recall) who chose not to fly. So I assumed they wouldn't be the only ones.

It seems that Ronaldsway Airport is on a major recruitment drive, in particular Managers, Head of Passenger Operations, Commercial Director, Operations Director. The Airport is now run like the Steam Packet at arms length. So when there are major problems, expect lots of handwringing from Minister Thomas. As it’s arms length, why are these roles funded by the taxpayers? Couldn’t the airport sustain salaries as a commercial enterprise? 

40 minutes ago, 2112 said:

It seems that Ronaldsway Airport is on a major recruitment drive, in particular Managers, Head of Passenger Operations, Commercial Director, Operations Director.

Are these replacements, or new jobs (Operations Director was Spake, I think)? If new jobs, how did the airport manage before?

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, 2112 said:

As it’s arms length, why are these roles funded by the taxpayers? Couldn’t the airport sustain salaries as a commercial enterprise? 

How is it arms length to IOMG? Has IOMG formed a new company for this purpose and we've not been told?

I doubt it could sustain the infrastructure and operational capability that it currently has let alone any further additions to the payroll or any other development.

2 hours ago, 2112 said:

It seems that Ronaldsway Airport is on a major recruitment drive, in particular Managers, Head of Passenger Operations, Commercial Director, Operations Director. The Airport is now run like the Steam Packet at arms length. So when there are major problems, expect lots of handwringing from Minister Thomas. As it’s arms length, why are these roles funded by the taxpayers? Couldn’t the airport sustain salaries as a commercial enterprise? 

WTF is Cobb going to be doing, Arranging Chairs ?

• Thanks 1