Airport.

Billy kettlefish

2 hours ago, 2112 said:

It seems that Ronaldsway Airport is on a major recruitment drive, in particular Managers, Head of Passenger Operations, Commercial Director, Operations Director. The Airport is now run like the Steam Packet at arms length. So when there are major problems, expect lots of handwringing from Minister Thomas. As it’s arms length, why are these roles funded by the taxpayers? Couldn’t the airport sustain salaries as a commercial enterprise? 

I thought the 'arms length' thing was a proposal. I don't think it has actually happened yet.

Not sure what the implications would be except that employees will not be civil servants.

3 minutes ago, Moghrey Mie said:

I thought the 'arms length' thing was a proposal. I don't think it has actually happened yet.

Not sure what the implications would be except that employees will not be civil servants.

CM Cannan is obsessed with corporatising everything. Sadly it won’t be thought through, and probably yet again when things awry the taxpayers will end up footing the bill. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 2112 said:

As it’s arms length, why are these roles funded by the taxpayers?

An IoM gov. arm's length organisation is one where the directors are so arm's length away they are in another country. And when the time for questioning happens none of them will turn up because, like Magson, they cannot get a child-minder.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 11

45 minutes ago, NoTailT said:

This is a funny one..

Car parked at airport long stay. Came back, not there. Airport and police none the wider.

Turned out to be sold at auction by the Government.

IOMG is the biggest rogue trader on the island. This should be no surprise.

This is a photo of the entrance to Long Stay Car Park 1. From the usual Google search, in the UK it seems it is required that there is signage at the entrance to a car park that "controlled land" is being entered, and that charges apply. Maybe not so, and maybe not here.

Last week I sent an email to both Emily Curphey and Chris Thomas asking if the (non-existent) signage was compliant. I have not received a response yet, but I would expect it to take a while for them to think it over.

1178155013_2023-02-28-132708-DSC_8269-preview4-crop.thumb.jpg.5bec86fef38581a3478075ce929c4c33.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

This is a photo of the entrance to Long Stay Car Park 1. From the usual Google search, in the UK it seems it is required that there is signage at the entrance to a car park that "controlled land" is being entered, and that charges apply. Maybe not so, and maybe not here.

Last week I sent an email to both Emily Curphey and Chris Thomas asking if the (non-existent) signage was compliant. I have not received a response yet, but I would expect it to take a while for them to think it over.

1178155013_2023-02-28-132708-DSC_8269-preview4-crop.thumb.jpg.5bec86fef38581a3478075ce929c4c33.jpg

I’m pretty sure that the airport car parks are public or local authority land in English parlance and that there are by laws governing payment, penalties etc. in that case it’s not controlled land, which, generally is private land and in respect of which by laws cannot be made. 

There should be signage somewhere, clear, obvious, visible and legible even on land used for parking and subject to by laws. And logic dictates that one of the places should be at the entrance. Failure will render the by laws unenforceable.

The controlled land legislation and regulations and guidance is there to ensure that the T&C’s for parking on private land are visible and legible so that you know what terms you are agreeing to enter into a contract for parking on private land.

• Thanks 2

17 hours ago, NoTailT said:

This is a funny one..

Car parked at airport long stay. Came back, not there. Airport and police none the wider.

Turned out to be sold at auction by the Government.

Interesting, so she was off island for 6 months and had her car removed and sold?  How long is a long stay?

25 minutes ago, NoTailT said:

I'm more confused that the airport and police knew nothing about it!

It’s not clear how long she was away. But the original owner says when she got home to her house in Peel there were lots of letters, notice, penalties, fines from the coroner.

Seems not only did she leave the car parked long term but didn’t have anyone checking her post.

So, it appears, this isn’t down to the DoI but the coroner, enforcing unpaid fines.