Airport.

Billy kettlefish

The airport website shows a maximum charge of £60, but does not say what the maximum stay is - therefore one might assume anything. There does seem to be a lack of attention to detail here.

However, a while ago I paid (using a credit card at the terminal) for the maximum and was given a piece of paper showing the period covered was 3 months.

So, if that car was in the car park for 6 months (from the YouTube video on the other thread), the car park charge was £120. And they towed the car and disposed of it for that little money?

Something does not seem right.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, John Wright said:

It’s not clear how long she was away. But the original owner says when she got home to her house in Peel there were lots of letters, notice, penalties, fines from the coroner.

Seems not only did she leave the car parked long term but didn’t have anyone checking her post.

So, it appears, this isn’t down to the DoI but the coroner, enforcing unpaid fines.

She said in the interview with PM that she was away 6 months. The address in Peel is not her place of permanent residence. I wonder what efforts were made to contact her before enforcement, other than delivering letters to an empty property. I also wonder if she has been informed that the car was seized and given an inventory of the goods taken. Of course there are prominent notices in the car park warning that after a specified period vehicles are liable to be subject to this process, aren't there?

Edited by Harry Lamb
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Harry Lamb said:

She said in the interview with PM that she was away 6 months. The address in Peel is not her place of permanent residence. I wonder what efforts were made to contact her before enforcement, other than delivering letters to an empty property.

There’s obviously more to it, but that must have been the address of the registered keeper?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NoTailT said:

As previously stated here, 6 months parking is £60 on the app.

Yes, there doesn’t appear to be any regulation that I can find that states what the maximum length of stay is. It does however state that you must register. 

It will be interesting to see how this pans out. 

6 minutes ago, Harry Lamb said:

She said in the interview with PM that she was away 6 months. The address in Peel is not her place of permanent residence. I wonder what efforts were made to contact her before enforcement, other than delivering letters to an empty property.

To be fair, whoever sent the letters would not know the property was empty. 

• Like 2

Just now, Roxanne said:

To be fair, whoever sent the letters would not know the property was empty. 

And the reality is that if that was the address to which the car was registered through it’s registered keeper a letter to another address wouldn’t have any standing.

Its the registered keepers duty to keep address up to date for that very reason,

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

The airport website shows a maximum charge of £60, but does not say what the maximum stay is - therefore one might assume anything. There does seem to be a lack of attention to detail here.

That’s exactly as I’ve always understood it. A maximum charge but no maximum stay is specified so I’m not sure how on earth they managed to steal her car for an unpaid fee. Presumably you should just pay the £60 when you pick it back up again. 

4 minutes ago, SuperHans said:

That’s exactly as I’ve always understood it. A maximum charge but no maximum stay is specified so I’m not sure how on earth they managed to steal her car for an unpaid fee. Presumably you should just pay the £60 when you pick it back up again. 

It states on the government website that the fee is paid on collection. So yes. However, it also says that if you are going to be away longer than anticipated that you can ring up and pay an additional fee. Even though there appears to be no maximum stay  

Work that one out…

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

Fair to say someone needs to get fired over this but as always won’t. They’ll deny everything as usual. 

Who should get fired and why?

It's private property. If the owner has made a reasonable effort to contact the person who has left their car on private property and the correspondence has been ignored, why wouldn't the property owner be in their rights to dispose of the car. 

Why are people so stupid to think they can just do this.