Airport.

Billy kettlefish

Given the timescale and when RinGo was introduced at Ronaldsway it’s possible she parked up and got a ticket before RinGo was introduced. Think that was late August.

So her car wouldn’t show up as paid anything on RinGo and the tickets/fines would be for parking without using/registering with RinGo.

We went from pay on exit to pay on entrance.

Coroner/bailiff would have to arrest and put a notice of arrest and intention to remove/sell on the car, after no response to letters/notices sent/delivered to the address on the “log book”.

6 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

It states on the government website that the fee is paid on collection. So yes. However, it also says that if you are going to be away longer than anticipated that you can ring up and pay an additional fee. Even though there appears to be no maximum stay  

Work that one out…

If that’s not clearly said on a big sign at the airport or on the app then how the hell is anyone going to know? I can easily see how someone parked there and thought they’ll just pay the £60 when they pick the car back up again. I’ve left a car down there for months when I was working away. Just paid the fee and drove it home. She probably parked up before the app came in so the old system applied which was exactly that. 

Edited by SuperHans

3 minutes ago, SuperHans said:

I’m guessing she paid under the old system before Ringo came in which was £60 max and no maximum term specified. 

You didn’t pay in advance under the system pre RinGo. You got a ticket. My suspicion is that she parked up pre RinGo.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, NoTailT said:

As previously stated here, 6 months parking is £60 on the app.

Are you the person who previously stated this, or are you quoting someone else? I am interested because I paid at the airport desk and was given a hand-written receipt that stated the period was only for 3 months (which I exceeded by a couple of weeks and have received a parking fine).

I’m guessing what will happen here - she’ll get the car back, the damage will be fixed, bus fare refunded, compensation paid to all involved (ultimately by the tax payer/rate payer) and ‘lessons will be learned’. Probably an independent inquiry by a KC too. Nobody will get fired. Parking website will be updated. 

Did I miss anything?

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, wrighty said:

I’m guessing what will happen here - she’ll get the car back, the damage will be fixed, bus fare refunded, compensation paid to all involved (ultimately by the tax payer/rate payer) and ‘lessons will be learned’. Probably an independent inquiry by a KC too. Nobody will get fired. Parking website will be updated. 

Did I miss anything?

…………….. yes!

A point by point rebuttal by Professor Ashford aided by Minister Thomas.

Having seen the Paul Moulton video, I would say that there is likely to be a swift and satisfactory outcome. As IOMG and CM Cannans flagship policy, is to encourage new immigrants to the island, this particular person’s experience may put them off keeping the home which they have inherited, in which they could possibly move into on a permanent basis. 

10 minutes ago, wrighty said:

Did I miss anything?

Signage at the car park entrance. There is a rumour that without warning signs parking restrictions are invalid. But you need to get a legal opinion about that.

And if the parking restrictions are invalid, not only will the fines have to be repaid but all the illegally-obtained parking fees too.

I have a tendency to fantasize after a glass of beer.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, John Wright said:

You didn’t pay in advance under the system pre RinGo. You got a ticket. My suspicion is that she parked up pre RinGo.

I’ve said that too if it’s 6 months or more ago. But is it beyond the wit of the DOI, especially in the long term carpark, to have taken a note of all the cars parked in there when the Ringo system came in to avoid this exact situation occurring when it changed from pay when you leave to pay upfront? Surely there is a burden of proof on them to prove to the Coroner that the debt is owed? In this case it seems that simply their information and debt claim was wrong and because it’s government nobody questioned whether a mistake had been made. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, SuperHans said:

I’ve said that too if it’s 6 months or more ago. But is it beyond the wit of the DOI, especially in the long term carpark, to have taken a note of all the cars parked in there when the Ringo system came in to avoid this exact situation occurring when it changed from pay when you leave to pay upfront? Surely there is a burden of proof on them to prove to the Coroner that the debt is owed? In this case it seems that simply their information and debt claim was wrong and because it’s government nobody questioned whether a mistake had been made. 

Under the airport parking regs the onus is on the person parking their car to have the appropriate ticket/prepayment, and, if the system changes mid stay to change appropriately.

Actually, thinking back, there were no charges for months before RinGo as the barriers weren’t working and it was free?

And it’s the same about ensuring you’ve got Mail collection/forwarding/redirection in place.

It still doesn’t quite make sense. Someone has been doing the rounds and checking numbers and comparing with payments received on RinGo to enable the fine to be raised, the penalty notices, the court fine, and then to put in the hands of the coroner to enforce.

How much leeway/transitional relief do you have to give. The first offence for that car was the first day RinGo was introduced.

A coroners sale ( conducted by Crystals under delegation ) transfers good title. So the purchaser will have to be involved in any resolution whereby she gets the car back. The number plate wasn’t sold with the car. 

2 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

It's seems very strange that they'd done anything at all.

I’d agree with that. The DOI don’t seem to do anything about anything yet here they’ve paid a locksmith to drill a lock out, seize the car and recover the car, and then flog it at auction for £1400 against a £60 outstanding parking fee. Sounds like another nice revenue stream some civil servant has come up with. 

• Thanks 2