Airport.

Billy kettlefish

56 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

Is the debt collector required to make a bit of an effort to contact someone before calling the tow-truck?

Coroners need to make reasonable effort to recover debt. Then seize the car, advertise notice of auction in 3 papers/outlets I think it is for a 4 week period and then they can auction it.

57 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

Fair to say someone needs to get fired over this but as always won’t. They’ll deny everything as usual. 

Why should anyone be fired? The more I see of your recent post here, and elsewhere, the more you seem to be losing the plot!

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

I would doubt it but perhaps that will come out in the wash. 

That seems to me to be pretty outrageous, if true.

I assume debt collection is more frequent at the low end of the spectrum, rather than the multi-millionaire end. To take goods without any verbal or any other form of contact seems to me to be unreasonable. Just taking goods without any communication is really bad form.

As a theoretical example, I go skiing, leave my brand-new EV Tesla at the airport, end up in a Swiss hospital for a few months, arrive back and find the coroner has sold off my car for a pittance in order to recover £120 of car park fees.

[So, apart from that, a few years ago a company was employed by a London council to clear illegally parked cars off the streets. They got a fee for each car moved. So they dumped a car on the street, a while later towed it to the council yard, got the fee, recovered the car, dumped it in a street.....

Wouldn't happen in Laxey]

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NoTailT said:

Coroners need to make reasonable effort to recover debt. Then seize the car, advertise notice of auction in 3 papers/outlets I think it is for a 4 week period and then they can auction it.

They may well have done all those things, time will tell. 

To be honest, this woman has been pretty thick, leaving a car in a car park where you have to pay daily fees for six months, and not having her mail checked or redirected, and then expecting all to be tickety-boo when she returns.

There may be some issues over whether the signage is 100% compliant and legal, but morally, she’s in the wrong.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, SuperHans said:

I’ve said that too if it’s 6 months or more ago. But is it beyond the wit of the DOI, especially in the long term carpark, to have taken a note of all the cars parked in there when the Ringo system came in to avoid this exact situation occurring when it changed from pay when you leave to pay upfront? Surely there is a burden of proof on them to prove to the Coroner that the debt is owed? In this case it seems that simply their information and debt claim was wrong and because it’s government nobody questioned whether a mistake had been made. 

I seem to remember someone on here (on one of the many pages on one of the many relevant threads) saying that someone had been seen going round the car park writing down the numbers of all those there at the start of the system.  But that's assuming they did something sensible with the list.

9 minutes ago, Wake Up Call said:

Scare me that this shower are unable to manage parking at a small airport.

It's the same bunch who manage planes landing and taking off. That requires more care.

These people are useless. Terrifying. 

I'm not even sure it's the same people within the DoI.  It wouldn't surprise me if the parking people in DoI (much expanded now they've taken over the multi-stories) were trying to take over this as well.  Certainly they seem keen on the (actually rather unsuitable) app.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, wrighty said:

I’m guessing what will happen here - she’ll get the car back, the damage will be fixed, bus fare refunded, compensation paid to all involved (ultimately by the tax payer/rate payer) and ‘lessons will be learned’. Probably an independent inquiry by a KC too. Nobody will get fired. Parking website will be updated. 

Did I miss anything?

The fact we'll never hear anything about it.

(Three years later, an FoI request will finally force the publication of the KC's report.  Nearly everything will be blacked out, especially the details that everyone knew anyway).

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, wrighty said:

I’m guessing what will happen here - she’ll get the car back, the damage will be fixed, bus fare refunded, compensation paid to all involved (ultimately by the tax payer/rate payer) and ‘lessons will be learned’. Probably an independent inquiry by a KC too. Nobody will get fired. Parking website will be updated. 

Did I miss anything?

The Facebook petition. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Mr Snaefell said:

Private property. Pay your dues, or get towed. It's not rocket science.

Does everyone on here have signage on their driveways? 

Our local lawyer suspects this isn't true:

7 hours ago, John Wright said:

I’m pretty sure that the airport car parks are public or local authority land in English parlance and that there are by laws governing payment, penalties etc. in that case it’s not controlled land, which, generally is private land and in respect of which by laws cannot be made. 

There should be signage somewhere, clear, obvious, visible and legible even on land used for parking and subject to by laws. And logic dictates that one of the places should be at the entrance. Failure will render the by laws unenforceable.

The controlled land legislation and regulations and guidance is there to ensure that the T&C’s for parking on private land are visible and legible so that you know what terms you are agreeing to enter into a contract for parking on private land.

But even if it is private, the fact that parking is offered under certain conditions stops it being the same as your driveway.

3 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Our local lawyer suspects this isn't true:

But even if it is private, the fact that parking is offered under certain conditions stops it being the same as your driveway.

Okey dokey, so we can all park there free of charge then. Noted.

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Omobono said:

what was wrong with the car owner emailing the information desk at the airport  after a few months  and letting them know  they were eventually coming back to retrieve the car and paying the outstanding parking charges ,

But during the previous couple of years there had been no parking charges at all, due to Covid and the DoI's inability to buy a can of WD-40.  And people had been parking there as long as they wanted during that time.  And even now there doesn't seem to be anything indicating a maximum stay - just a maximum charge of £60.  They were so keen to tell everyone how wonderful their new app was that they forgot to close all the loopholes.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, NoTailT said:

That’s for real estate