Airport.

Billy kettlefish

48 minutes ago, John Wright said:

I don’t think you’re correct. I think you’ve not taken into account the way the airport parking/RinGo app works. 

There are 4 options.

To be legally parked and stay you’ve got to have currently paid.

You can pay:

1. On the app. Max is 12 weeks. After that you have to extend, or you are parking illegally.

2. At the info desk. Max period is 12 weeks. After that you have to extend, or you are parking illegally.

3. By phone. Max period is 12 weeks. After that you have to extend, or you are parking illegally.

1 & 3 you don’t have to be on Island. 2 I presume you, or a friend could pop in.

So it’s actually flexible. Doesn’t need a specified maximum stay period. Just requires that you keep it topped up, 84 days at a time.

That's how it works now, after presumably they've come across similar problems. It probably wasn't the situation when she parked though - indeed there are comments on this thread that suggest otherwise.  There still doesn't seem to be signage or website information about maximum parking time even now.

It's the usual Manx government system of letting things slide till there's chaos, then imposing the first 'solution' they come across without thinking things through.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

That's how it works now, after presumably they've come across similar problems. It probably wasn't the situation when she parked though - indeed there are comments on this thread that suggest otherwise.  There still doesn't seem to be signage or website information about maximum parking time even now.

It's the usual Manx government system of letting things slide till there's chaos, then imposing the first 'solution' they come across without thinking things through.

Even they are saying 12 weeks max paid for. But they are from mid June, earlier than I thought it started.

Over the years I have gone overtime or overuse of something or other and had to pay a penalty (not to mention any number of times dumping things because I had no time or space to bring with me and had to buy new to replace). That's just life in a modern, hectic, travelling about, era.

If I had left a taxed and insured car at Ronaldsway for a few months I would expect:

1. Parking fine with late payment supplement, or

2. Clamped wheel with £100 un-clamp fee, or

3. Car towed to compound and a £200 tow fee (even that is dubious - towing a car from yellow lines is one thing, but to tow from a gov. property  another gov. property makes sense only from a penalty income point of view).

To seize and sell a car worth thousands for a parking fine is mind-boggling. As for 6 months being a long time to leave a car, that is standard Manx mentality - 4 miles is too far to travel to work, and no-one could want to be off the island for more than 3 weeks.

I suppose there is a reasonable chance that Chris Thomas is looking for his name on this forum - and no chance he is ever going to criticise a gov. employee.

[When I was young I went to Germany for a few months to earn some money - and came back 20 years later. Didn't leave my car at the airport, though.]

1 hour ago, Two-lane said:

To seize and sell a car worth thousands for a parking fine is mind-boggling. As for 6 months being a long time to leave a car, that is standard Manx mentality - 4 miles is too far to travel to work, and no-one could want to be off the island for more than 3 weeks.

If they’re going to go for the £800,000 odd of outstanding parking ticket fines in the same way the DOI will end up as the biggest car dealer in the IOM. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Two-lane said:

Over the years I have gone overtime or overuse of something or other and had to pay a penalty (not to mention any number of times dumping things because I had no time or space to bring with me and had to buy new to replace). That's just life in a modern, hectic, travelling about, era.

If I had left a taxed and insured car at Ronaldsway for a few months I would expect:

1. Parking fine with late payment supplement, or

2. Clamped wheel with £100 un-clamp fee, or

3. Car towed to compound and a £200 tow fee (even that is dubious - towing a car from yellow lines is one thing, but to tow from a gov. property  another gov. property makes sense only from a penalty income point of view).

I suppose there is a reasonable chance that Chris Thomas is looking for his name on this forum - and no chance he is ever going to criticise a gov. employee.

[When I was young I went to Germany for a few months to earn some money - and came back 20 years later. Didn't leave my car at the airport, though.]

Is she even Manx?

https://twitter.com/IncompetenceIM

FFS - the gov., the DoI, making it to first place in a Google search again.

I suppose there will be a few "damage limitation" high-level meetings on Monday. A number of chocolate Bourbon biscuits will be consumed and the decision made to just ignore the plebs. After all - income £1400, less fine of £60, less a few man-hours, leaves plenty for chocolate biscuits and coffee.

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

After all - income £1400, less fine of £60, less a few man-hours, leaves plenty for chocolate biscuits and coffee.

Is it just £1400 though? This sold for £4,200 a few weeks before this auction and there’s been quite a few others too up at Chrystals in the last 6 months sold as seized / de registered. So nearly £6K in just two vehicles. Any MHK going to ask just how much cash has been raised in the last year from taking peoples property?

https://www.easyliveauction.com/catalogue/lot/218dd1f7bb1edd0cef198f2d99c7d834/0af8d24542e81eb9357e7ef448a6646f/vehicle-and-equipment-lot-60/

Edited by SuperHans

Any balance after paying the parking fee, penalties, fines, cost of arrest, removal, and sale commission is held for the owner. It doesn’t go to the coroner, bailiff, Airport or government. Eventually if no owner can be found it goes to Treasury as Bona vacancia.

11 minutes ago, SuperHans said:

Is it just £1400 though? This sold for £4,200 a few weeks before this auction and there’s been quite a few others too up at Chrystals in the last 6 months sold as seized / de registered. So nearly £6K in just two vehicles. Any MHK going to ask just how much cash has been raised in the last year from taking peoples property?

https://www.easyliveauction.com/catalogue/lot/218dd1f7bb1edd0cef198f2d99c7d834/0af8d24542e81eb9357e7ef448a6646f/vehicle-and-equipment-lot-60/

28 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

https://twitter.com/IncompetenceIM

FFS - the gov., the DoI, making it to first place in a Google search again.

I suppose there will be a few "damage limitation" high-level meetings on Monday. A number of chocolate Bourbon biscuits will be consumed and the decision made to just ignore the plebs. After all - income £1400, less fine of £60, less a few man-hours, leaves plenty for chocolate biscuits and coffee.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, SuperHans said:

The guide price on the auction website that appeared at the beginning of this saga was £1400. 

39 minutes ago, SuperHans said:

Good question, and where does the money go?  Doi general coffers?