Airport.

Billy kettlefish

On 3/14/2023 at 4:11 PM, Nellie said:

I agree that Emerald are still an unknown quantity, to a degree, but they have grown steadily, from a modest base and they operate a single type fleet, which is a big advantage for operational flexibility, engineering and crewing. They have created a UK subsidiary, so they can operate intra-UK routes, like MAN-BFS and so on. They will soon operate to both Belfast and Dublin. 

Loganair largely operate a single fleet, at least here: other than length, the ATR42 and ATR72 are pretty much identical. If they ever sub in an Embraer they bring the crew from across with it.

There's nothing to suggest Emerald, or whoever, will do any better if the aircraft are routinely outstationed here. They may have a slightly bigger fleet so may get a replacement plane here more quickly, but it's still the same core issue. It was the same issue with old Flybe too.

Airlines don't have loads of spare aircraft. If they go tech, you wait.

On 3/14/2023 at 5:39 PM, NoTailT said:

Was part of the Loganair fanfare not that they were establishing on-island line maintenance?

Low-level routine maintenance, to an extent, but the meaty stuff is done in Scotland. Which is why the aircraft outstationed here change.

Moving on, I see the report is proposing an HIAL model where the Big Boss can piss off all the staff and piss millions up the wall before moving on. I wonder who the last Big Boss of HIAL was, does anyone know?

Cannan's sadly stupid enough to privatise it. And if you think airport parking is bad now, just see what Peel Holdings did to Liverpool.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Ringy Rose said:

Cannan's sadly stupid enough to privatise it. And if you think airport parking is bad now, just see what Peel Holdings did to Liverpool.

I picked up passengers at Speke on Friday. The drop off/pick up area is £50 per hour.

• Sad 2

10 minutes ago, Ringy Rose said:

You say that, but look at Peel Holdings' fabulous management at Teesside and Doncaster.

agreed , however airports are a thing which need management with aviation knowledge and how to woo airlines and remain operationally efficient for passengers and aircraft . Manufacturing and bullshit doesn't cut it !

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, asitis said:

It it were private the first thing a private entity would do , would be to empty the top corridor and get management in who have a clue !

That’s not going to change if they go arms length. The SPC staff are all largely the same. They’d be binning off nobody from the airport either. 

• Sad 1

They need to start at the top, bin Cobb off now whilst it is still relatively cheap to do so. Do these people not have to do probation, if Nigel the floor sweeper is late 4 days in his 180 day probation out he goes. This prick proves he is totally incompetent in his first 2 months  and guess what stays on for 5 years and takes away long £100,000,s and a bloody big golden handshake and pension to boot(no not that other waste of skin)   You could not make it up, almost forgot about the many £1,000,000s  his decisions are going to cost us.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, asitis said:

It it were private the first thing a private entity would do , would be to empty the top corridor and get management in who have a clue !

Wouldn't even need a full time airport manager. Could share with another regional UK airport. 

1 hour ago, Ringy Rose said:

Loganair largely operate a single fleet, at least here: other than length, the ATR42 and ATR72 are pretty much identical. If they ever sub in an Embraer they bring the crew from across with it.

There's nothing to suggest Emerald, or whoever, will do any better if the aircraft are routinely outstationed here. They may have a slightly bigger fleet so may get a replacement plane here more quickly, but it's still the same core issue. It was the same issue with old Flybe too.

Loganair actually operate one of the most diverse and non-standard fleets in Europe, with no fewer than NINE different aircraft types. That is more than British Airways, KLM or Iberia! 

https://jethroseu.co.uk/fleets/fleet_listings/loganair.htm

I know that some are for niche routes, but just because we only see ATR's, and the occasional Embraer, doesn't diminish the fact that theirs is a much more complex operation than most airlines. 

And when there is a technical problem, the stand-in aircraft are far away. When Emerald are fully up and running, they will have aircraft bases in Dublin, Manchester and Belfast, only around 30 minutes flying time away. 

I'm not saying that they offer a silver bullet solution, I'm just suggesting that Loganair have had a free shot at demonstrating that they can provide a good service, and have failed. The DoI and DoE need to look critically at other options. 

• Like 1

I have just seen on the Airport Website that they started planning for the ILS replacement in 2019.  At the time, did management foresee the possible implications and start communicating with NATS to produce GPS procedures, which would have allowed considerably reduced approach minima ? I don’t know if anything had been done, it might be that the IOM CAA relationship with the UK authorities put us at the back of the queue, as UK airports could have been getting priority. Anyway, it’s a pretty frustrating situation currently.

Edited by Cypman

13 minutes ago, Cypman said:

I have just seen on the Airport Website that they started planning for the ILS replacement in 2019.  At the time, did management foresee the possible implications and start communicating with NATS to produce GPS procedures, which would have allowed considerably reduced approach minima ? I don’t know if anything had been done, it might be that the IOM CAA relationship with the UK authorities put us at the back of the queue, as UK airports could have been getting priority. Anyway, it’s a pretty frustrating situation currently.

Back in 2019, Reynolds probably told Spake to do it. He decided that it wasn't the sort of thing a poor man's Alan Carr should be doing, so he binned the request. And the rest is history.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Cypman said:

There are too many in house experts at the airport who know Eff all about aviation in aviators terms and its requirements, and are too ego driven to actually consult with the people sitting at the sharp end of the aircraft.

Cobb seems to have a lack of success in the aviation industry, and as his CV is filled with manufacturing and meaningless management speak bullshit I am hardly surprised .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1