Airport.

Billy kettlefish

4 minutes ago, Mercenary said:

Having skimmed through the arms length report:

- comparison is made of aero & non-revenue makeup to similar benchmarked airports, which is a sensible approach

- follow up analysis is unfortunately limited. There is no in depth discussion over potential non aero revenue streams and their IoM context. E.g. many UK airports make approximately half their revenue from car parks, and another substantial chunk from food & beverage. This is mentioned lightly - but what is the anticipated potential revenue from each?

- There is probably scope to increase far parking revenue, but moreso from compliance than actual charges (which seem in keeping with elsewhere). Surely the horse has bolted on this one now with RingGo. Also the island airports (e.g. Guernsey) seem more comparable in this regard where the revenue is similar rather than e.g. Bournemouth which could have a 70 mile catchment not serviced by buses/taxis.

- Food & beverage. Again yes this could be better but assuming they have a reasonable commercial rent on the existing establishments it is hard to imagine this moving the needle. Again being a small catchment people spend less time in the airport. Speeding up the serving of coffees would help but it's not clear you need a new chief commercial officer and arms length arrangement to make this happen

- beyond this you have ancillary areas such as car hire, other retail and that's about it (unless you consider charging for pickup/dropoff)

There is scope for revenue improvement but enough to really move the needle? Enough to even cover a new officer at £80k total? Have I missed areas?

And other than revenue generation is the arms length setup really helping anything? Unless it's just any arrangement to get it outside of the behemoth that is DoI.

possibly so Alf can state the CS headcount has been reduced? Presumably Cobb moves from Director to MD (not at all scary) and will live off govt subvention for ever more. *

* Until it's nationalised again by a future govt when it is realised that arms-length doesn't work on a small Island (apart from upping the salaries of those at the top)

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, 2bees said:

@Ringy Rose I would like to know if the problem with the lights is likely to be fixed or not so I can make other plans. 

It's not the lights, they're installing a new ILS system and it'll last until the end of the month. In weather where ILS is required the planes may not be able to land. So the answer is right: it'll depend on the weather.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Mercenary said:

There is scope for revenue improvement but enough to really move the needle? Enough to even cover a new officer at £80k total? Have I missed areas?

I think you've pretty much hit the nail on the head there.

Perhaps you might squeeze a bit more out of the Costa franchisee, but beyond that, I'm not seeing a great deal of scope for development. 

A change to an arms-length company would give lots of juicy fat consultancy fees to Cannan's mates at Beamans though.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Ringy Rose said:

I think you've pretty much hit the nail on the head there.

Perhaps you might squeeze a bit more out of the Costa franchisee, but beyond that, I'm not seeing a great deal of scope for development. 

A change to an arms-length company would give lots of juicy fat consultancy fees to Cannan's mates at Beamans though.

It's chicken and egg. How do you develop non-aero income without extra revenue to build it? Maybe take a section of the disused car parks (turn left and not right at the first roundabout) and build a boutique hotel with a community hub for Ballasalla with a pub, shops, cafe etc. which would provide a year round revenue stream within walking distance of the terminal. Hell build a new GP surgery and community hall if you like. 

You've also got Balthane estate and the likes of Strix etc in the area too. With the A5 Castletown to Douglas route metres away a lot of passing traffic too. Redevelop the petrol station into the scheme.

Then once that it is up and running and generating income from leases, you'd have the revenue to start on the main terminal as a conference and education centre facilty while gradually improving the rest of the facilities. 

10 hours ago, 2bees said:

I’m am sooo stressed, do I chance the plane (to gatwick, where I have a hire car booked) or should I sack it off and get the boat and get a car from Heysham - this is the most terrible dilemma. It’s my granddaughter’s first birthday, my besties 50th and we’re all (6 of us) supposed to be going to Harry Potter and the Cursed Child on Saturday. I want to cry and cry and cry. If we get the boat I’ll have to drive to London which will take ages so I’ll be tired at the play, it’s totally not fair and I’m sooo sooo sooo vexed, honestly, this was supposed to be a lovely family weekend and now it’s just a big messy stress :( venting is not helping. 

The airport are so helpful. Not! “It depends on the weather” no ducks given. 

Had the same dilemma when I had to fly to Liverpool on Tuesday for something  important..

I was very lucky that I was on easyjet as almost all the loganair flights that day was cancelled.

Have to fly back from Heathrow on Sunday. Looks like the weather is not that great that afternoon.. So it's going to be 🤞 .

7 hours ago, CallMeCurious said:

It's chicken and egg. How do you develop non-aero income without extra revenue to build it? Maybe take a section of the disused car parks (turn left and not right at the first roundabout) and build a boutique hotel with a community hub for Ballasalla with a pub, shops, cafe etc. which would provide a year round revenue stream within walking distance of the terminal. Hell build a new GP surgery and community hall if you like. 

You've also got Balthane estate and the likes of Strix etc in the area too. With the A5 Castletown to Douglas route metres away a lot of passing traffic too. Redevelop the petrol station into the scheme.

Then once that it is up and running and generating income from leases, you'd have the revenue to start on the main terminal as a conference and education centre facilty while gradually improving the rest of the facilities. 

Isn't what you're describing the 'airport technology gateway'?

They may as well name a studio at the NPM the Minister Thomas Suite, as he will be back there being interviewed regarding the airport, sea terminal, the islands roads, housing, Liverpool ferry terminal……………… 

Edited by 2112

Key airport issues and challenges: 

1. Technical/equipment - won’t pretend to understand the landing system issues,but the bottom line seems to be under investment over many years. As the islands only airport, this is dangerous and unacceptable 

2. staffing and management: airport needs a leader whois NOT there simplyas a quick stepping stone. This is not an asset to be drowned in management plans and speak, with the author then doing a runner 

3. Services - Manx people are pragmatic - they don’t expect the bells and whistles of a large airport. However, they do need reliable baggage services, modern security, adequate waiting areas in departure (current offering is simply awful) - especially as the island does get weather delays - and reasonable refreshment (egcoffee)

4. Auxilliary services are not rocket science - usable parking and bus services

5. Information- hiving the airport website off to an ad agency was simply stupid decision and means it fails basic flight info bar. (and have they made any money on it???)

6. Public ownership with governance accountability.even the whiff of privatisation should send shivers through residents. The airport is an essential service - that is what government and taxes are for. However you can already see the ‘softening up’ for hiving it off

But are Manx residents willing to stand up and be counted on all of this? 

• Thanks 6

3 minutes ago, Cinderella said:

Key airport issues and challenges: 

1. Technical/equipment - won’t pretend to understand the landing system issues,but the bottom line seems to be under investment over many years. As the islands only airport, this is dangerous and unacceptable 

2. staffing and management: airport needs a leader whois NOT there simplyas a quick stepping stone. This is not an asset to be drowned in management plans and speak, with the author then doing a runner 

3. Services - Manx people are pragmatic - they don’t expect the bells and whistles of a large airport. However, they do need reliable baggage services, modern security, adequate waiting areas in departure (current offering is simply awful) - especially as the island does get weather delays - and reasonable refreshment (egcoffee)

4. Auxilliary services are not rocket science - usable parking and bus services

5. Information- hiving the airport website off to an ad agency was simply stupid decision and means it fails basic flight info bar. (and have they made any money on it???)

6. Public ownership with governance accountability.even the whiff of privatisation should send shivers through residents. The airport is an essential service - that is what government and taxes are for. However you can already see the ‘softening up’ for hiving it off

But are Manx residents willing to stand up and be counted on all of this? 

Some very salient analysis, number 2 especially !