Airport.

Billy kettlefish

53 minutes ago, Cinderella said:

Key airport issues and challenges: 

1. Technical/equipment - won’t pretend to understand the landing system issues,but the bottom line seems to be under investment over many years. As the islands only airport, this is dangerous and unacceptable 

2. staffing and management: airport needs a leader whois NOT there simplyas a quick stepping stone. This is not an asset to be drowned in management plans and speak, with the author then doing a runner 

3. Services - Manx people are pragmatic - they don’t expect the bells and whistles of a large airport. However, they do need reliable baggage services, modern security, adequate waiting areas in departure (current offering is simply awful) - especially as the island does get weather delays - and reasonable refreshment (egcoffee)

4. Auxilliary services are not rocket science - usable parking and bus services

5. Information- hiving the airport website off to an ad agency was simply stupid decision and means it fails basic flight info bar. (and have they made any money on it???)

6. Public ownership with governance accountability.even the whiff of privatisation should send shivers through residents. The airport is an essential service - that is what government and taxes are for. However you can already see the ‘softening up’ for hiving it off

But are Manx residents willing to stand up and be counted on all of this? 

The best post I've seen in a while. Spot on on all counts. 

There could be some money made in commercial activity, but it will be limited and is highly unlikely to ever override the need for subvention. It could also be managed without all the wasted effort in becoming "arm's length" . 

As you say, the Islands population are pragmatic, all that's needed is an airport thanks technically "works" and is properly staffed (at coalface level) and can service the people in all reasonable weather conditions. Nothing more is necessary. 

Too many years have passed where the basics have been ignored at the expense of ridiculous unnecessary items. It has to stop, but I don't see it happening with this report going to Tynwald.....

• Thanks 3

sadly the report has been put together largely   with the input of failed management and politicians , who now appear to want to wash their hands of everything , and like some other recently hived off areas , put it in a position where any questions  are automatically deemed commercially  confidential , 

our airport is a vital link  and it should not  be  beyond the wit of man to run it in a cost effective and efficient manner , 

the council if ministers  and chief officers group    should be ashamed of themselves for allowing this to happen 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, snowman said:

10 easyJet flights today. Must be a record.

Departure lounge will be bedlam this afternoon. Standing room only.

Some are the delayed ones from yesterday, flights seem to be landing now & it does seem brighter than earlier when the Liverpool was circling for 25/30 minutes 

first Gatwick just landed 

Edited by Banker

My final airport thought: 

I first flew in there about 40 years ago. I remember sitting in the old terminal for hours due to early morning ‘fog’ and delays. What we have now is not new weather phenomenon. But in four decades very little seems to have been done to address the impact. Hard to believe in an era of many advances …

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Cinderella said:

My final airport thought: 

I first flew in there about 40 years ago. I remember sitting in the old terminal for hours due to early morning ‘fog’ and delays. What we have now is not new weather phenomenon. But in four decades very little seems to have been done to address the impact. Hard to believe in an era of many advances …

We haven't had any advance in management for a long time, just incompetent buffoons , nothing changes !

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Ringy Rose said:

I think you've pretty much hit the nail on the head there.

Perhaps you might squeeze a bit more out of the Costa franchisee, but beyond that, I'm not seeing a great deal of scope for development. 

A change to an arms-length company would give lots of juicy fat consultancy fees to Cannan's mates at Beamans though.

Agreed. There's zero room for any serious development resulting in sustainable revenue/profit. There just isn't the volume of passengers. People are only at the airport for one thing.... transport. It's not a shopping centre or a garden centre with a coffee shop.

If we must spend money over and above the essential avionics infrastructure then it should be on developing and extending the passenger terminal out to where the outdoor walkway is to the aprons, with departure areas immediately below each gate in the lounge.

The current passenger experience is dire and depressing.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

Agreed. There's zero room for any serious development resulting in sustainable revenue/profit. There just isn't the volume of passengers. People are only at the airport for one thing.... transport. It's not a shopping centre or a garden centre with a coffee shop.

If we must spend money over and above the essential avionics infrastructure then it should be on developing and extending the passenger terminal out to where the outdoor walkway is to the aprons, with departure areas immediately below each gate in the lounge.

The current passenger experience is dire and depressing.

Other comparable airports take much more in retail sales.

the gantry approach lights  in Santon bay   helped in poor weather  , but  for some reason something that was effective not hight tech  , and worked  for years  was discontinued  following the millions spent on the new runway zones , if you look what government have frittered away  on the airport  in the last few years   and getting rid of workers   who had some pride and   understanding  about the  the place    ,with the proper effective  management  we could have had a fantastic facility , instead its a basket case !

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Maybe we should get some Gatwick managers in on secondment. This place is consistently good now and clearly has competent leadership. Consistent and efficient processes everywhere make it easy and quite nice to use. 

Royston Vasey International on the other hand seems rudderless. 

6C71CD67-6A9F-4B8E-813F-80D722CAF512.jpeg

• Haha 1