Airport.

Billy kettlefish

27 minutes ago, madmanxpilot said:

Am I being a bit too suspicious in suspecting it’s a convenient excuse for them to blame the  current problems on fact that the ILS is being replaced, when even if it was working, planes couldn’t land in these conditions due to lack of CAT2 or a set of full CAT1 approach lights?

I’ve never had to go around off a CAT2 approach, including many with visibility between 400 and 300 metres with OVC000.

I guess it dates back to her who knew everything when told not to remove the gantry !

• Like 1

There's actually a business opportunity here to get a GPS approach certified, there aren't many where training and renewals can be carried out. Blackpool has one wind direction dependent and Liverpool is always too busy. With a bit of thought could be an earner !

• Like 4

Based on the recent weather related aircraft missed approaches, diversions and cancellations it could now be a good time to review the need for improved approach lighting and/or Cat 2 ILS installations on RW 26. In addition, the development of low cost GPS approach procedures could be considered in order to provide an alternative in the event that the ILS is out of service.

I now increasingly believe that this could be “money well spent”.  Moreover, it would hugely assist in enhancing external confidence in the Island as an effective business destination.

5 minutes ago, Cypman said:

Based on the recent weather related aircraft missed approaches, diversions and cancellations it could now be a good time to review the need for improved approach lighting and/or Cat 2 ILS installations on RW 26. In addition, the development of low cost GPS approach procedures could be considered in order to provide an alternative in the event that the ILS is out of service.

I now increasingly believe that this could be “money well spent”.  Moreover, it would hugely assist in enhancing external confidence in the Island as an effective business destination.

Spot on. 

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, madmanxpilot said:

Spot on. 

A problem is we have spent that much money on stuff that wasn't necessary but was surrounded by Reynolds bullshit to justify it, there maybe isn't a lot of budget left for the airport !

Running it at arms length will not make one jot of difference, there aren't too many opportunities to raise revenue on an island airport but a GPS approach could be one of them !

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, asitis said:

A problem is we have spent that much money on stuff that wasn't necessary but was surrounded by Reynolds bullshit to justify it, there maybe isn't a lot of budget left for the airport !

Running it at arms length will not make one jot of difference, there aren't too many opportunities to raise revenue on an island airport but a GPS approach could be one of them !

Treasury keeps turning down requests for funding for airport improvements although we don’t know details of what was requested 

1 hour ago, asitis said:

There's actually a business opportunity here to get a GPS approach certified, there aren't many where training and renewals can be carried out. Blackpool has one wind direction dependent and Liverpool is always too busy. With a bit of thought could be an earner !

More like we'll wait for it to become the normal at all airfields in the British Isles, then Tynwald will sign a cheque for over the odds when we're dragged kicking and screaming to introduce it.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, asitis said:

Agree. I know the question has been asked of how Jersey went about securing the right to use EGNOS from the EU, once I’ve been given that info I’ll feed it back here for you all to see. Combine EGNOS with published RNAV approaches and you won’t need an ILS for CAT1 minima as it becomes an LPV200 approach. You will likely be able to drop the 08 decision height to 200 feet too, as you will not be flying an offset approach.

It all makes perfect sense.

When, in the future, the user airlines have equipment that can make use GBAS, we’ll be all ready to go with it as the procedures will be the same.

The 26 approach lights still need attention, and if GBAS doesn’t continue to develop to CAT2/3 standards, then you’ll need the 26 ILS if CAT2 is to be implemented.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, IOM said:

To be fair to EasyJet it sounds like they have given it a good go ! 

Oh for sure. 
And within minutes of the aircraft breaking its loop and heading back to Manchester the text messages/emails were sent informing the next flight's waiting passengers of the situation.

I was once on a Flybe flight that was doing similar loops up there in the sunshine, when the pilot said over the tanoy words to the effect of (and I kid you not) "well, I don't think we'll make it back to Manchester, or even Liverpool for that matter, I'm just gonna go down now". And down we went - through the cloud one second and then suddenly !bang! it was runway. Safe and sound (ish).

Edited by Barlow

10 hours ago, Barlow said:

I was once on a Flybe flight that was doing similar loops up there in the sunshine, when the pilot said over the tanoy words to the effect of (and I kid you not) "well, I don't think we'll make it back to Manchester, or even Liverpool for that matter, I'm just gonna go down now".

You would never stay in the hold and exhaust your reserves to the point where you are committed to an airfield where you will most likely have to bust minima to land. If you did, unless there was some extreme force majeure involved, I doubt very much your further employment would be guaranteed.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Banker said:

Some easyJet flights showing 3 hours delays today, is it foggy again at airport or just operational issues?

The mail plane landed on time, and the rescheduled easyJet from Bristol is on the way, and on time, so it looks like the delay from Gatwick is something else, but not sure. The Gatwick plane is then due to go to Manchester and back, which is why there are several delays showing. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, madmanxpilot said:

You would never stay in the hold and exhaust your reserves to the point where you are committed to an airfield where you will most likely have to bust minima to land. If you did, unless there was some extreme force majeure involved, I doubt very much your further employment would be guaranteed.

Sounds more like a Manx2 flight than a Flybe flight.

2 hours ago, Nellie said:

The mail plane landed on time, and the rescheduled easyJet from Bristol is on the way, and on time, so it looks like the delay from Gatwick is something else, but not sure. The Gatwick plane is then due to go to Manchester and back, which is why there are several delays showing. 

I see one of the ATRs has been on the ground since last night and an E145 on a mission today too.