Airport.

Billy kettlefish

I have had an answer about the use of EGNOS to allow for GPS approaches to be flown to CAT1 minima (LPV200).

You may recall that Jersey have an arrangement with the EU to use EGNOS, whilst we and the UK don’t.

I have been advised that so far as the IOM is concerned, we are likely lumped in with the rest of the UK regarding EGNOS, as IOM airspace lies within one of the two UK flight information regions, or FIRs.

Apparently, there is pressure for the UK to sign up for the service again, and they (the UK) have commissioned a company to do a cost benefit analysis of EGNOS use. That report came out firmly on the side of it being a nett benefit.

https://www.oxera.com/insights/reports/the-value-for-money-for-a-temporary-reinstatement-of-egnos/

The issue is actually over a legal indemnity - perhaps that is something we could  go solo with, rather than wait for the UK?

Edited by madmanxpilot
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, madmanxpilot said:

I have had an answer about the use of EGNOS to allow for GPS approaches to be flown to CAT1 minima (LPV200).

You may recall that Jersey have an arrangement with the EU to use EGNOS, whilst we and the UK don’t.

I have been advised that so far as the IOM is concerned, we are likely lumped in with the rest of the UK regarding EGNOS, as IOM airspace lies within one of the two UK flight information regions, or FIRs.

Apparently, there is pressure for the UK to sign up for the service again, and they (the UK) have commissioned a company to do a cost benefit analysis of EGNOS use. That report came out firmly on the side of it being a nett benefit.

https://www.oxera.com/insights/reports/the-value-for-money-for-a-temporary-reinstatement-of-egnos/

The issue is actually over a legal indemnity - perhaps that is something we could  go solo with, rather than wait for the UK?

Legal indemnity is what delayed our COVID jab rollout.

I wouldn't expect us to be any quicker.

21 minutes ago, NoTailT said:

Legal indemnity is what delayed our COVID jab rollout.

I wouldn't expect us to be any quicker.

The sooner the process starts, the sooner it’ll be in place.

I’m not confident that those responsible for such things here have the nouse to appreciate the benefits of it all. I just hope that the recent (avoidable) carnage at the airport may be a pivot point and that serious questions will be asked about where we are and how we got here, and importantly, how we can fix it.

Edited by madmanxpilot
  • Like 5

28 minutes ago, madmanxpilot said:

I’m not confident that those responsible for such things here have the nouse to appreciate the benefits of it all. I just hope that the recent (avoidable) carnage at the airport may be a pivot point and that serious questions will be asked about where we are and how we got here, and importantly, how we can fix it.

I hope you will do all you can to lobby hard for such changes.

1 hour ago, madmanxpilot said:

Well, with Jersey having an arrangement there is at least a precedent which should count in our favour?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nom de plume said:

Well, I’d be sacking off the horse trams, MER & steam trains for a start.

That would reduce the lucrative retirement employment opportunities for previously sacked-off Directors of it....

3 hours ago, madmanxpilot said:

I’m not confident that those responsible for such things here have the nouse to appreciate the benefits of it all

They won't ask people with knowledge of these things (such as yourself), only people who say what they want to hear !

We have spent millions at the airport on imo bad advice, bad legislation interpretation, and directors uninterested in running  the facility we have, but with lots of interest in making new facilities.

I don't think the new guy has a clue either of what is important, which again imo is simple i.e. enabling aircraft to land here and getting bums on seats as quickly and pleasantly as possible !

If people aren't delayed and there are services available most of them won't give a toss about the perfume shop or whether Costa makes soy lattes !

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, asitis said:

I don't think the new guy has a clue either of what is important, which again imo is simple i.e. enabling aircraft to land here and getting bums on seats as quickly and pleasantly as possible !

Oh, I think he does have a clue. He's bullshitted his way into a very lucrative employment where those around him (and those who employed him) will hang onto his every word like it's mannah from heaven and won't question his thoughts or what he wants implemented, regardless of its actual worth or cost.

A little like his predecessor. In fact, very like his predecessor.

• Thanks 4

3 hours ago, madmanxpilot said:

You haven't heard of Professor Ashford then?

• Haha 3