Airport.

Billy kettlefish

On 3/20/2023 at 7:54 PM, madmanxpilot said:

Spot on. 

22 hours ago, madmanxpilot said:

Agree. I know the question has been asked of how Jersey went about securing the right to use EGNOS from the EU, once I’ve been given that info I’ll feed it back here for you all to see. Combine EGNOS with published RNAV approaches and you won’t need an ILS for CAT1 minima as it becomes an LPV200 approach. You will likely be able to drop the 08 decision height to 200 feet too, as you will not be flying an offset approach.

It all makes perfect sense.

When, in the future, the user airlines have equipment that can make use GBAS, we’ll be all ready to go with it as the procedures will be the same.

The 26 approach lights still need attention, and if GBAS doesn’t continue to develop to CAT2/3 standards, then you’ll need the 26 ILS if CAT2 is to be implemented.

Are Logan air equipped to use Cat 2 ? 

7 minutes ago, cheesypeas said:

Are Logan air equipped to use Cat 2 ? 

The aircraft they fly are CAT2 capable, I don’t know if they train their pilots to do these approaches.

I will ask.

Purely for info, the CAT2 training I did involved watching a couple of videos, doing some theoretical stuff in the classroom for an hour or so, then flying about six approaches in the simulator to a landing or missed approach due to technical faults or not going visual at decision height.

We were encouraged to do at least one practice CAT2 approach a month (if you hadn’t flown an actual one) and every six months we’d do some refresher training in the simulator.

The airline we’re required to keep records of all practice CAT2s to show the CAA that we were keeping our currency and competency.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, madmanxpilot said:

I will ask.

Currently Loganair do not do CAT2 approaches on the ATR, only the Embraer 145.

Edited to say that Loganair are in the process of gaining the approval to CAT2 approaches on the ATR, which as you will know, is the type they have based here. Their crews are already trained.

Edited by madmanxpilot
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, madmanxpilot said:

Currently Loganair do not do CAT2 approaches on the ATR, only the Embraer 145.

Edited to say that Loganair are in the process of gaining the approval to CAT2 approaches on the ATR, which as you will know, is the type they have based here. Their crews are already trained.

What would be needed to get CAT3?

Just now, madmanxpilot said:

It’s not - but orange Airbuses are.

So pointless investment here then. They’d never get value for money. Having said that, if you are Cat 3, do you get Cat 2 included, or are they two completely different systems? I’m guessing only major international airports have Cat 3

1 minute ago, cheesypeas said:

So pointless investment here then. They’d never get value for money. Having said that, if you are Cat 3, do you get Cat 2 included, or are they two completely different systems? I’m guessing only major international airports have Cat 3

If you can do CAT3, you can do CAT2. 

CAT2 means you can legally make an approach in visibilities as low as 300 metres, with a decision height of 100 feet.

At the moment, well when the ILS is working again, we have CAT1, which at best allows approaches in 1000 metres visibility and a decision height of 200 feet. Improved approach lighting would see this visibility requirement drop to 550 metres.

CAT2 is a massive improvement over CAT1, and would be well worth the investment in my opinion.

You actually need less approach lights for CAT2 than you do for CAT1, so I’m not so sure the cost would be quite as high as you think.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Wonder if we'll end up with a Cat Manx... for aircraft with no tail?

Somewhat surprised that these things aren't determined when an airline signs up for a route and that there isn't some sort of ULA etc. 

Presumably, at some point say Cat 2 or GPS etc.  would become the  de facto standard by the airlines requiring it to continue serving the island? 

Given these systems exist, at the very least the base infrastructure required could be set out ready to deploy it relatively quickly? After all NATS and CAA must be able to advise on options and upcoming regulation changes. 

What is that Toto? Oh, I'm in the IOM? I forgot.

Edited by CallMeCurious

11 minutes ago, CallMeCurious said:

Wonder if we'll end up with a Cat Manx... for aircraft with no tail?

Somewhat surprised that these things aren't determined when an airline signs up for a route and that there isn't some sort of ULA etc. 

Presumably, at some point say Cat 2 or GPS etc.  would become the  de facto standard by the airlines requiring it to continue serving the island? 

Given these systems exist, at the very least the base infrastructure required could be set out ready to deploy it relatively quickly? After all NATS and CAA must be able to advise on options and upcoming regulation changes. 

What is that Toto? Oh, I'm in the IOM? I forgot.

Manx Solutions for Manx Problems.

There'll be someone employed to light a big bonfire to guide the planes in.

Or maybe they'll put a fog horn at the end of the runway.