Airport.

Billy kettlefish

1 hour ago, Amadeus said:

New airport director seems to have a big CV as Chris Thomas likes to point out, but so far the fella is hiding it well.  Dude needs to be seen to be doing stuff more or we’re gonna start calling him Annie Two. 

To be fair, he’s not responsible for the weather & the ILS upgrade has been planned for some time. What is it that you want him to do?

2 hours ago, Blade Runner said:

What? Within millimetres?

I am struggling with that.

Ducts could be laid, cables could be laid and prepared so the final connection should be quick.

I don't know the process TBH but it just looks like SH1T planning to me unless you can explain otherwise?

You can’t put a new one on top of an old one. There are sound technical reasons for that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Banker said:

To be fair, he’s not responsible for the weather & the ILS upgrade has been planned for some time. What is it that you want him to do?

As you say, it’s been planned for some time (years) so he and/or the head of air traffic services have had plenty of time to put in place RNAV (sat nav) procedures to allow aircraft to land in much worse conditions than those that have seen them cancel or divert over the last few weeks. No ground equipment needed, just aircraft using satellite signals.

It just highlights the lack of actual knowledge of what can be done, and to be quite frank smacks of professional incompetence.

As has been stated here many times before, Jersey are in the process of replacing their ILS at the moment too - but because they had a company design and the CAA approve these RNAV procedures relatively recently, they have not been having any of the issues we have had.

It cost Jersey £70K to have their procedures designed. Worth every single penny.

Edited by madmanxpilot
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 6

4 hours ago, Blade Runner said:

What? Within millimetres?

I am struggling with that.

Ducts could be laid, cables could be laid and prepared so the final connection should be quick.

I don't know the process TBH but it just looks like SH1T planning to me unless you can explain otherwise?

The new ILS huts will have to go in pretty much the same location as old huts. There is a zone around the ILS huts which has to be kept clear to prevent radio interference. That would make keeping the old ILS in operation whilst installing new one impossible I would have thought. 

• Like 3

The planning and execution of the upgrade is flawed and incompetent. The number of people affected by this, and the cost incurred through having to pay extra hotel night and trains (which EasyJet DON’T always refund) is frankly a national embarrassment. And the Chief Minister tried to blame half of it on snow. Clown!

Edited by Manx Bean
  • Like 4

I guess the justification for the departure lounge expansion will be to resolve the issue of people sat on the floor or window cills

Edit to add. Amex is now accepted at the bar in the departure lounge and the Rendezvous lounge opened approx 1830

Edited by snowman

5 hours ago, Manx Bean said:

The planning and execution of the upgrade is flawed and incompetent. The number of people affected by this, and the cost incurred through having to pay extra hotel night and trains (which EasyJet DON’T always refund) is frankly a national embarrassment. And the Chief Minister tried to blame half of it on snow. Clown!

Agreed. Let’s remember though, it’s a replacement and not an upgrade, despite what they would have you believe. Last year when the issue of the basic approach lights was highlighted in the Examiner, the airport management said that installing this new ILS would allow for approaches in 550  metres rather than the existing 1000. They were of course wrong, and it’s not going to make any difference to the minima whatsoever. The 800 metres they mention in the attached clipping, relates to runway 08, That runway has intermediate approach lights, so can have a lowers visibility requirement, but because it has an offset approach, the decision height is 100 feet higher than for 26, making it much less useable.

These open misconceptions just highlight their ignorance and incompetence.

BF048FA8-8D44-4051-91F9-3748E77F654F.jpeg

Edited by madmanxpilot
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1