Airport.

Billy kettlefish

On 4/8/2023 at 5:56 PM, Omobono said:

why we cant have a local solution to car parking I don't know , it would be a good question for someone to ask

I am no fan of the new parking system. The barriers and PAYG machine were fine.

But the cost of developing, implementing, provisioning and thoroughly testing a dual platform app + website plus required infrastructure would be far greater than the cost of opting  into an existing proven system. It almost never makes sense to develop a boutique solution when an existing tested solution already exists.

Edit: point being that if a new system really was required then buying in makes much more sense than developing from scratch. And the same system working everywhere does kind of makes sense. Like Uber. And we should have that here too.

Edited by genericUserName
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, genericUserName said:

But the cost of developing, implementing, provisioning and thoroughly testing a dual platform app + website plus required infrastructure would be far greater than the cost of opting  into an existing proven system. It almost never makes sense to develop a boutique solution when an existing tested solution already exists.

Edit: point being that if a new system really was required then buying in makes much more sense than developing from scratch. And the same system working everywhere does kind of makes sense. Like Uber. And we should have that here too.

Would a number plate recognition based facility, like at the Bottleneck and Shaw's Brow, really be so difficult or expensive?

As I understand it, the current system needs someone to go round and check that the cars parked there have paid.  Just seems terribly unwieldy and inefficient.  

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, genericUserName said:

A simple APNR system, checking cars in and out, with linked pay station machines which accept notes, cards, phone payment. You just enter your reg number before exit. They’re standard standalone systems.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, John Wright said:

A simple APNR system, checking cars in and out, with linked pay station machines which accept notes, cards, phone payment. You just enter your reg number before exit. They’re standard standalone systems.

5 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Would a number plate recognition based facility, like at the Bottleneck and Shaw's Brow, really be so difficult or expensive?

As I understand it, the current system needs someone to go round and check that the cars parked there have paid.  Just seems terribly unwieldy and inefficient.  

Fair points actually. 

1 minute ago, John Wright said:

if you find a simple user friendly solution ,then there is no reason why it couldn't  rolled out across the  whole Isle of Man government parking  portfolio  thus providing a solution   to future updates  and equipment replacements  or a I looking at tis too logically ?

• Like 1

Barriers and payments machines would probably have been a bad idea - if looking to replace the previous existing barriers and payment machines. One downside of much of Douglas parking is that fairly often the payment machines do not seem to be able to connect and so the payment cannot be authorised. And out of hours this never gets fixed. Also - the barriers frequently fail In Shaw's Brow which uses number plate recognition. Both at the entrance and at the exits.

So whilst I hear what @John Wright and @Gladys are saying - I do believe that payment should be via online and in advance. Perhaps with manual payment at the airport front desk as a fall back.

11 minutes ago, Omobono said:

if you find a simple user friendly solution ,then there is no reason why it couldn't  rolled out across the  whole Isle of Man government parking  portfolio  thus providing a solution   to future updates  and equipment replacements  or a I looking at tis too logically ?

Probably tied us into a contract with ringpiece for 99 years or something equally as stupid.

Just now, genericUserName said:

Barriers and payments machines are probably a bad idea. One downside of much of Douglas parking is that fairly often the payment machines do not seem to be able to connect and so the payment cannot be authorised. And out of hours this never gets fixed. Also - the barriers frequently fail In Shaw's Brow which uses number plate recognition. Both at the entrance and at the exits.

So whilst I hear what @John Wright and @Gladys are saying - I do believe that payment should be via online and in advance. Perhaps with manual payment at the airport front desk as a fall back.

The ones I use in UK, Ireland and Spain don’t have exit or entrance barriers. Because the APNR  has registration details and timings anyone not paying gets an excess charge and gets sued. It’s much simpler.

I also have a toll payment tag that works in Spain, Portugal, France & Italy. Motorways, car parks, bridges, tunnels, one monthly bill debited to bank account or credit card. Again much more imaginative technology, and widely available. Another alternative.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Omobono said:

See below. An ioM tag. Could be used all over the island. There’s usually a deposit for the device and the tag batteries work for around 5 years. Visitors could rent one whilst on the ferry or at the sea terminal.

Just now, John Wright said:

The ones I use in UK, Ireland and Spain don’t have exit or entrance barriers. Because the APNR  has registration details and timings anyone not paying gets an excess charge and gets sued. It’s much simpler.

I also have a toll payment tag that works in Spain, Portugal, France & Italy. Motorways, car parks, bridges, tunnels, one monthly bill debited to bank account or credit card. Again much more imaginative technology, and widely available. Another alternative.

22 minutes ago, Omobono said:

New to the Isle of Man?

10 minutes ago, John Wright said:

That technology is ancient now. It would be crazy to introduce something so steampunk retro. Everyone would need a tag. Also the point of the tag was to speed up the traffic through the péages. Speed is not the issue with car parking.

Today almost everyone has a phone with Google Pay or Apple Pay. So an app makes way more sense than an old fashioned tag.

1 minute ago, genericUserName said:

That technology is ancient now. It would be crazy to introduce something so steampunk retro. Everyone would need a tag. Also the point of the tag was to speed up the traffic through the péages. Speed is not the issue with car parking.

Today almost everyone has a phone with Google Pay or Apple Pay. So an app makes way more sense than a an old fashioned tag.

Actually speed can be an issue anywhere there is parking related to entrance to and exit from an event, or 370 passenger off easyJet all at the same time. And you can always have a Pay-station as back up.

Dont have to exit the car. Don’t have to get your phone out. Just approach slowly and drive through.

They're ubiquitous and reliable and the technology is tried and tested. The technology is no older than parking eye, RinGo, or various outsourced local authority charging schemes. 

Much more convenient than an app or phone call.

8 minutes ago, genericUserName said:

Today almost everyone has a phone with Google Pay or Apple Pay. So an app makes way more sense than an old fashioned tag.

What a load of cock! 
It is a tried and tested, proven system, where your tag here could work in other countries. Why on earth would we want to embark on some new app that is reliant on the type of technology that often fails? 
Do you really think most people have Google pay of whatever, on their phone? You are dreaming! 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Much more convenient than an app or phone call.

It would be barmy to introduce a system which required people to have another device. Also - I don't want it linked to my bank account such that it can directly deduct payments. I would much prefer to book and pay in advance and agree the transaction via a single existing payment system. 

To be clear - the app knows nothing of your bank or CC details. That's far more secure.