Airport.

Billy kettlefish

13 minutes ago, genericUserName said:

It would be barmy to introduce a system which required people to have another device. Also - I don't want it linked to my bank account such that it can directly deduct payments. I would much prefer to book and pay in advance and agree the transaction via a single existing payment system. 

To be clear - the app knows nothing of your bank or CC details. That's far more secure.

What's wrong with having a system that logs you in and out?  The method of payment is a different issue, could be online or one of those big bulky machines that takes a card, or even cash, as you pass through the exit. 

It just seems madly complicated with Ringo and it is not clear exactly what problem it solves. 

• Thanks 3

6 minutes ago, Gladys said:

What's wrong with having a system that logs you in and out?  The method of payment is a different issue, could be online or one of those big bulky machines that takes a card, or even cash, as you pass through the exit. 

It just seems madly complicated with Ringo and it is not clear exactly what problem it solves. 

It solves the department having to support and administer the system.

The payment goes directly Ringo uk, I wonder how that works chasing people who go over the time?  Won't the debt be with Ringo and not doi?

Sainsbury in Lancaster has an ANPR system which logs you in and out. If you spend £20 in store, you get 2 hours free parking. You get 30 minutes free anyway. There are machines by the door. You type in your reg number and it tells you what to pay. Very simple system. Most people gets QR code for free parking! 

The tag system that John Wright talks of is in most countries. USA was the first place I came across it about 20 years ago. Simple and effective. But then, hey! Why make something simple when you can unnecessarily drag technology into it! 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, cissolt said:

The payment goes directly Ringo uk, I wonder how that works chasing people who go over the time?  Won't the debt be with Ringo and not doi?

Well, it won't be a "user experience " problem. 

18 minutes ago, cissolt said:

There is information somewhere on the Ringo website. My recollection about complaints about incorrect charges is that Ringo simply collects the money and hands some of it to the client. If you have a complaint, you have to go to the operator of the car park and not to Ringo. So, jumping to conclusions, debt collection is down to the DoI.

28 minutes ago, cissolt said:

RinGo collect payment as agents, maintain the app, take a large cut for the system and a percentage of cash/number of cars, then pay what’s left, if anything, to DoI. Non payers are direct responsibility of DoI

1 hour ago, Gladys said:

Would a number plate recognition based facility, like at the Bottleneck and Shaw's Brow, really be so difficult or expensive?

As I understand it, the current system needs someone to go round and check that the cars parked there have paid.  Just seems terribly unwieldy and inefficient.  

Totally agree. 
I top up my account every now and again for these two car parks ( at the pay station) and just drive in and out at will. The cost of parking deducted from my account.

Although I do understand you can have a nil balance whereby your debit/ credit card is charged for the cost of your stay.
So why on earth not use this system at at the airport instead of all this dicking about, having to put more credit on this Ringo crap if your flights delayed or whatever

1 hour ago, genericUserName said:

It would be barmy to introduce a system which required people to have another device. Also - I don't want it linked to my bank account such that it can directly deduct payments. I would much prefer to book and pay in advance and agree the transaction via a single existing payment system. 

To be clear - the app knows nothing of your bank or CC details. That's far more secure.

It’s one device, lasts 5 years, it stays in your car. You have an account.  You can have multiple devices linked to an account. The charges are consolidated monthly and you are invoiced. The tag doesn’t have you billing information or bank/card info.

Its the ease, not having to get out of the car, not having to find a PayStation, fiddle with your cash, card, or mobile device payment system.

1 hour ago, Cambon said:

Sainsbury in Lancaster has an ANPR system which logs you in and out. If you spend £20 in store, you get 2 hours free parking. You get 30 minutes free anyway. There are machines by the door. You type in your reg number and it tells you what to pay. Very simple system. Most people gets QR code for free parking! 

There's a Sainsbury's with a similar system near to where my parents live in the south of England. The old man tells me it worked well for a couple of weeks after it was introduced, until everybody caught on to the fact that they do bugger all about it however long you stay. Most people just park there as long as they want, regardless of whether they're using the store, with complete impunity. Apparently the super market know and don't care. It brings in enough money to make a profit and it isn't worthwhile chase Ng offenders.

5 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

There's a Sainsbury's with a similar system near to where my parents live in the south of England. The old man tells me it worked well for a couple of weeks after it was introduced, until everybody caught on to the fact that they do bugger all about it however long you stay. Most people just park there as long as they want, regardless of whether they're using the store, with complete impunity. Apparently the super market know and don't care. It brings in enough money to make a profit and it isn't worthwhile chase Ng offenders.

It won’t be managed by Sainsbury’s. Somewhere on the sign will be details. It’s usually parking eye that supermarkets sub it out to.

They're persistent, normally.

There are always lots of questions on Lancaster sites about charge notices and pre action letters and do you have pay.

• Like 1