Airport.

Billy kettlefish

1 hour ago, BriT said:

The really surprising thing is how stupid they are. When it’s £50 max for a taxi from most places in the IOM who do they think is going to pay £120 to to use the long stay car park? I’d guess the carpark is just going to get emptier and hopefully all it does is give more business to the taxi firms or Athol Garage rather than these greedy fuckers. The fact that Robinson signed this off says it all the man is an absolute muppet.

Commercial competition is not something that exists in CS culture, it's not something they ever have to think about. The only thing that matters in their mindset is that the general public are there to be milked according to Treasury and silo requirements and this parking business can be no finer example of that.

Usually for that pressed public there's no way out but with any luck, this might be the start of said general public saying, "Enough, we have alternatives" and digging their heels in, a touch of rebellion even.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5

2 hours ago, BriT said:

The really surprising thing is how stupid they are. When it’s £50 max for a taxi from most places in the IOM who do they think is going to pay £120 to to use the long stay car park? I’d guess the carpark is just going to get emptier and hopefully all it does is give more business to the taxi firms or Athol Garage rather than these greedy fuckers. The fact that Robinson signed this off says it all the man is an absolute muppet.

I booked my car in with Mylchreests for 12 days, for £45. It would have been the same for 14 days. It will be washed and someone is responsible for looking after it.

It is a while since Mylchreests changed their prices so they could reasonably increase them, in the near future.

The new Airport parking rates would need me to pay £84, seven days £54, plus £30 for the remaining days or part days.

@Chris Thomas  how on earth have the senior people in your department not considered the competitiveness of your "services".   I won't be participating in the 'consultation' as it makes no to difference to me, personally, as will always use the other options, but as a tax payer it makes me very angry that highly paid officers at the DoI are so stupid.

Edited by Nellie
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 2

48 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Commercial competition is not something that exists in CS culture, it's not something they ever have to think about. The only thing that matters in their mindset is that the general public are there to be milked according to Treasury and silo requirements and this parking business can be no finer example of that.

As per the pictures I posted last week the airport carpark is pretty empty and certainly was over the long bank holiday weekend. As you say commercial competition isn’t something they factor in but if I was Mychreests, or Athol Garage or Telecabs or A1 it’s just given me an even better margin from which I can still substantially undercut DOI parking charges from. The net result will just be an emptier airport carpark. It’s the cost of an airport taxi they need to base their pricing around as the minute it costs substantially more than that to take your car to the airport people won’t take their car. And who sets the airport taxi rates … oh it’s also IOMG via the RTLC. 

Edited by offshoremanxman

On 4/11/2023 at 11:03 PM, Amadeus said:

Used the bus the last few times. £2.70 each way instead of increasingly unjustifiable charges at the airport car park. No brainer. 

leave car part way left on street near bus stop - get bus to and from car - happy days

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Weliveinhope said:

Away this weekend, and to use the airport parking is £19 but to use Athol with a car wash its £18. Bonkers.

It's exactly as I posted above. The people who have designed this charging regime are totally oblivious to the fact that people have choices and they need to compete.

They seem to operate in a vacuum, and there are other vacuums between their ears. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

43 minutes ago, Weliveinhope said:

Away this weekend, and to use the airport parking is £19 but to use Athol with a car wash its £18. Bonkers.

Likewise. A week (*8 days, as they don’t charge per 24 hours, they charge per day) in the long stay would have been £41, short stay £55.50. Robinson wants to put this up to £59.

Mylchreests are doing parking, wash and a vacuum for £45. So I’m using Mylchreests for the first time.

I’d not have even considered Mylchreests or Athol, I’d have just parked in the long stay, until Jeff Robinson’s latest brainwave.

Edited by Ringy Rose
  • Like 4

43 minutes ago, Nellie said:

It's exactly as I posted above. The people who have designed this charging regime are totally oblivious to the fact that people have choices and they need to compete.

They seem to operate in a vacuum, and there are other vacuums between their ears. 

But if everyone use athol etc then presumably they will be full at busy times & everyone else will use car park or taxis, every time I’ve been away recently the short term parking is always busy 

They clearly haven't thought about what effect that the reduced free time will have on the cafe and shop upstairs.

A lot of visitors to the airport are either dropping people off or waiting for the arrivals. In the case of departures when their guests have gone through security they will go upstairs to wave goodbye at boarding time. Whilst waiting they'll have a drink and/or something to eat. Similarly whilst waiting for passengers to arrive.

The reduction in free parking time will do nothing for the businesses on the landside.

Eejits!

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

They clearly haven't thought

No, they really haven’t, have they. About the competition, about the impact on internal services, about how 15 free minutes is not enough time for anything. 

Minister Thomas if s now saying that they might extend the free time to 30mins. So that’s something. 

I don’t get it. The airport (thanks to Annie et al) is leeching millions. What real difference is charging for an hour going to make? Drop in the ocean. Another government venture where the problem lies with bad government decisions and we’re left to bail them out. 

• Like 6