Airport.

Billy kettlefish

Wednesday nights late cancellation to Gatwick (while we were downstairs waiting to board at 9pm), which was explained to us as a flat tyre (which as a technical defect would be eligible for compensation, meaning that people were generally ok about it) has now mysteriously become due to 'a piece of debris on the runway' & therefore compensation is not payable as not EJ's fault. two questions: 1) under what circumstances would EJ ever pay compensation, somewhere down the line there is always someone or something else to blame (eg traffic jam on the M25 delaying crew); and 2) isn't this a bit alarming if there is debris on the runway damaging landing planes?

14 minutes ago, Douglas2020 said:

Wednesday nights late cancellation to Gatwick (while we were downstairs waiting to board at 9pm), which was explained to us as a flat tyre (which as a technical defect would be eligible for compensation, meaning that people were generally ok about it) has now mysteriously become due to 'a piece of debris on the runway' & therefore compensation is not payable as not EJ's fault. two questions: 1) under what circumstances would EJ ever pay compensation, somewhere down the line there is always someone or something else to blame (eg traffic jam on the M25 delaying crew); and 2) isn't this a bit alarming if there is debris on the runway damaging landing planes?

i suspect the debris on the runway caused the flat tyre ,  

So they are discussing parking charges at the airport today......not a clue...........the whole arrangement needs knocking on the head and starting again. allow drop offs and pick ups as normal, 1hr free in car park, old system of charging, barriers or ANPR and pay buy card or cash. All the profit to us. Customer friendly!!!

Then discuss the actual charges.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, doc.fixit said:

So they are discussing parking charges at the airport today......not a clue...........the whole arrangement needs knocking on the head and starting again. allow drop offs and pick ups as normal, 1hr free in car park, old system of charging, barriers or ANPR and pay buy card or cash. All the profit to us. Customer friendly!!!

Then discuss the actual charges.

Why do we "need" barriers. Lots of UK car parks are now getting rid of these to install ANPR / use an app.

NCP want you to use an app now or give you 24 hours from leaving to pay online before they send fines (as ANPR has captured your reg on entry / exit). They do still offer terminals to pay in the car park too though. Lots of city cark parks are run by RingGo (or similar) and you just have to pay for your time when you park with no machines available.

The ideal solution is putting in terminals to allow people who don't want to use an app to pay for their parking while they're down there.

Although, the majority of people will have a smartphone now and are more than capable of using it to purchase parking, they're just refusing to. I've used it a few times - no issues.

However, given the increased parking charges they're going to bring in, I hope it shoots them in the foot and no one uses it!

• Like 1

But using an app, a large amount of the profit goes to a company across and there are too many reported instances of mistakes which are very hard to rectify. Otherwise I agree with most of your points.

I didn't say, 'need', I said barriers or ANPR.

The main point I was making is that I don't believe an app is as customer friendly for many folk and isn't as straight forwards as  the old system which I for one was quite happy with

It's almost as if the gov feel it necessary to mess with anything that works well because they wish to be seen to be with it and modern regardless of practicality and cost. Just check out every scheme that they get their fingers into, (IRIS, sewage, buses, cabbage), need I go on?

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, swoopy2110 said:

Why do we "need" barriers. Lots of UK car parks are now getting rid of these to install ANPR / use an app.

NCP want you to use an app now or give you 24 hours from leaving to pay online before they send fines (as ANPR has captured your reg on entry / exit)

The downside to that is the need for number plate registration databases and a "big brother" attitude.

A car park I was at elsewhere has cameras on entry and exit, but still has barriers and ticket machines. I assume it is just recording an image of the number plate on entry and printing a unique number on the ticket. You pay the ticket before exit, drive up to the exit barrier and it just raises.

I assume it is just doing pattern recognition on the plate. The advantage of that is there is no need for a database, and it can recognise any script on the plate including Arabic.

[Whilst on the subject of automation, in the same place there is one tram line. On the interior cabin roof there are QR codes. I saw some locals get on, point their smart phone at the QR code and then take a seat. Maybe someone should point this out to the DoI - they could spend a lot of money on a similar system for the buses. They also have an app. for driving licences.]

• Like 1