Airport.

Billy kettlefish

3 hours ago, John Wright said:

However, the dread of being on hols and running into other Manxies, predicates against. I’d have to be on my best behaviour. And there’d be bound to be a “soon to be ex” client wanting free advice.

I've never bumped into anyone from the island whilst on holiday, and there's probably a A320's worth of Manxies in Tenerife / Majorca at any one time.

So what if they travel there on the same plane. On arrival, everyone just goes their own villa / hotel.   

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Karellen said:

I've never bumped into anyone from the island whilst on holiday, and there's probably a A320's worth of Manxies in Tenerife / Majorca at any one time.

So what if they travel there on the same plane. On arrival, everyone just goes their own villa / hotel.   

I was staying at a hotel a few months back and the guy at the check in desk said to me: “Wow, we just had someone else from the Isle of Man check out of the very same room this morning. It’s a small place, he was called X and owns an accountancy firm, do you know him?”

I did know who it was and I did ask for a different room.

That’s a close enough encounter to scare me. But you’re right, there’s probably a plane load at any one time on each of the Canaries and Spanish Islands.

Odds are probably higher if you book a holiday with FlyDirect. Am I right in that ATOL doesn’t cover departures from the Isle of Man? So no financial protection for package holidays departing here?

Edited by NoTailT
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, NoTailT said:

Odds are probably higher if you book a holiday with FlyDirect. Am I right in that ATOL doesn’t cover departures from the Isle of Man? So no financial protection for package holidays departing here?

FlyDirect are mainly selling packages with these trips, so the chance of being in the same accommodation as other Manxies is quite high. 

ATOL covers all holidays that are ATOL-bonded and if you scroll down to the bottom of the FlyDirect website it says:

FlyDirect, part of C.I. Travel Group, is an ABTA and CAA ATOL bonded tour operator, meaning that all flights, holidays and travel services bookable through this website have financial protection. A £2.50 per person financial protection fee is charged on every booking, ensuring your holiday is financially protected. Please see our booking conditions for more information.

Where the flights leave from or go to is irrelevant.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Roger Mexico said:

FlyDirect are mainly selling packages with these trips, so the chance of being in the same accommodation as other Manxies is quite high. 

ATOL covers all holidays that are ATOL-bonded and if you scroll down to the bottom of the FlyDirect website it says:

FlyDirect, part of C.I. Travel Group, is an ABTA and CAA ATOL bonded tour operator, meaning that all flights, holidays and travel services bookable through this website have financial protection. A £2.50 per person financial protection fee is charged on every booking, ensuring your holiday is financially protected. Please see our booking conditions for more information.

Where the flights leave from or go to is irrelevant.

I understand it says that. But I'm 99% certain that Brian Kelly at ORTG once told me that ATOL doesn't cover departures from the Isle of Man, only UK, and the certificates were worthless. But people like to have them.

4 minutes ago, NoTailT said:

I understand it says that. But I'm 99% certain that Brian Kelly at ORTG once told me that ATOL doesn't cover departures from the Isle of Man, only UK, and the certificates were worthless. But people like to have them.

Any company that sold holidays as being covered with an ATOL when they weren't would be committing fraud (and you can check the validity of a licence number on the ATOL website).  As the name suggests the bond relates to the operator and all their package holidays would be covered (the situation with flight only is more complicated).  An operator would need to set up a separate company to offer non-ATOL packages (not involving the UK in any way) and couldn't advertise them with ATOL coverage.

In this particular case the operator also has ABTA coverage, so that would be an extra level of protection.

If you book a flight with the airline, you will not be covered by ATOL if the airline fails. However, you can protect yourself by booking with a travel firm that protects flights under its ATOL. When booking check that you receive confirmation of your ATOL protection or that you are provided with a Scheduled Airline Failure Insurance (SAFI) policy.

edit to add link

https://www.gov.im/ded/ViewNews.gov?page=lib/news/oft/dontloseoutthrou.xml&menuid=11570

Edited by daisy

The flight to Denmark will be around 1100km. The maximum range of an ATR aircraft is around 1700km. So that trip is less of a challenge for payload. Loganair allow 15kg baggage as standard on all of their fares, so nothing too surprising there either. I’ve been on the IOM / Geneva flight on a prop. No problem. 

Tenerife is around 1650 nautical miles away. The 737 800 can fly 3000 nautical miles or they’re about. Still be interesting if the weight restrictions due to runway length here mean it has to fuel stop somewhere.

Years ago I worked for the a travel agency who used to organise direct flights with Aspro holidays. They used 737 too (Inter European Airways) . Obviously older variants, but they had to stop in Newcastle on the way from here to Rhodes.

The variables involved with take off weight and runway length must be pretty kind numbing. I suppose pilots are thankful for computers these days.

There’s a video on YouTube of a Thomas Cook 757 taking off from here flying to Glasgow. The aircraft was empty, and only used about half of the runway (which was still probably when it was even shorter). Arguably the largest aircraft to land here, ever. The 757 was known to have massively powerful engines mind. 

Sorry, I’m a bit of a geek. 

2 hours ago, NoTailT said:

When the holiday firm crashed a few years back we had a terrible job getting any cash back because we were told that what it said on the brochure was essentially just to say they were associated/ affiliated, (I don't remember the exact words), but it was a cop out and it was only the banks intervention after months that got us most of our money back.

Do you remember a year or so ago when the minister announced that it would cost £250,000  to replace barriers in the airport car park.? 

Well I see in the press today that a barrier ( l assume for outside use) has been installed at laxey school. It has a card reader and intercom. 

So not exactly like the airport but very similar. The cost according to the press release:

"The barrier, including the intercom and card access, cost £14,048," 

Edited by emesde
Spelling
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Tenerife direct is £600 return per adult

Isle of Man to Tenerife: Depart 13.25 | Arrive 18.15 - QS QS3009

Tenerife to Isle of Man: Depart 08.10 | Arrive 12.35 - QS QS3008

Alot cheaper to go via Dublin or London even with an overnight stay and get better flight times.

Edited by snowman
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, snowman said:

Tenerife direct is £600 return per adult

Isle of Man to Tenerife: Depart 13.25 | Arrive 18.15 - QS QS3009

Tenerife to Isle of Man: Depart 08.10 | Arrive 12.35 - QS QS3008

Alot cheaper to go via Dublin or London even with an overnight stay and get better flight times.

Ridiculous price for flight ✈️  only. 

• Like 1