Airport.

Billy kettlefish

Interesting point here - 

https://www.kentonline.co.uk/dover/news/shopping-centres-takings-down-40-as-car-park-made-ringgo-o-273122/

"RingGo has lost us a lot of custom - we have lost 40% of our revenue since it came in," 

"They drive down here and when they see there is no coin system they drive back out.

Customer Sheila Cope, 84, has a smartphone but doesn't use it for financial transactions because, like some others, she isn't convinced that they are secure enough.

Said location has now shut shop due to energy costs.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

I took the bus to the airport last week, £2.70, no hassle, no contest.

The only downside is that the £2.70 goes to the DOI as well...

A lot more people will be doing the same or getting a lift from friend. 
Even an ‘expensive’ taxi. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, forestboy said:

A lot more people will be doing the same or getting a lift from friend. 
Even an ‘expensive’ taxi. 

Or if there are no taxis at the airport as happened to me earlier this week. 

The yomp with 3 x 20kg bags from the bus stop to my house was invigorating. 

2 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

This is what the people who are saying "I've never a problem and I use it all the time" are missing the point.  A good system should be usable for everyone, not just people who are familiar with it

I don’t use it all the time, I go off island at some school holidays and that’s it. 

Registration took me about 10 minutes and it was, in fairness, a bit of a faff. But that’s why I registered the day before I travelled the first time, takes the stress out. Now I’m registered the app is a piece of piss to use, three clicks and parking is sorted, much better than queuing up at a pay machine.

There can’t be a person on the island who doesn’t know the airport uses RingGo. But there seems to be a particularly Manx resistance to online solutions. 

And, as I’ve said, there’s the option to pay at customer services in the terminal if this really is beyond someone.

Edited by Ringy Rose

1 minute ago, Ringy Rose said:

I don’t use it all the time, I go off island at some school holidays and that’s it. 

Registration took me about 10 minutes and it was, in fairness, a bit of a faff. But that’s why I registered the day before I travelled the first time, takes the stress out. Now I’m registered the app is a piece of piss to use, three clicks and parking is sorted, much better than queuing up at a pay machine.

And, as I’ve said, there’s the option to pay at customer services in the terminal if this really is beyond someone.

We shouldn't be in a position where we have to download a 3rd party app app (with a somewhat questionable reputation and pay money into UK coffers when there is no need.  Just because they 'do it in the UK' doesn't mean its right for the Isle of Man or we that have to do it on the Isle of Man.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 7

7 minutes ago, Ringy Rose said:

There can’t be a person on the island who doesn’t know the airport uses RingGo. But there seems to be a particularly Manx resistance to online solutions. 

But it still requires someone to patrol the car park to make sure all the cars parked have paid? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, x-in-man said:

Interesting point here - 

https://www.kentonline.co.uk/dover/news/shopping-centres-takings-down-40-as-car-park-made-ringgo-o-273122/

"RingGo has lost us a lot of custom - we have lost 40% of our revenue since it came in," 

"They drive down here and when they see there is no coin system they drive back out.

Brilliant find. It doesn’t surprise me. 

• Like 4

emesde has above mentioned that the system is not fully workable without cameras on entry and exit.

Anyone wanting to drop someone off at the airport can drive into the car park, note that there are no traffic wardens around, stay there for a while and then just drive off.

I assume one of the selling points for RingGo is the lack of need to employ traffic wardens, That is not the case for the airport where there is the overhead for the monitoring personnel.

A system with cameras and without  barriers relies on a database - it might cover UK plates, but what about Europe or southern Ireland.

And neither Thomas nor Curphey has responded to my email about the legality of the signage. I do not understand why people are not up in arms about a car being towed when there is no signage showing that that is a possibility..

• Like 4