Airport.

Billy kettlefish

I just looked at the app and they now do autopay with ANPR which would make it even easier for people, but people will moan about being spied on.

I am honestly interested to hear an actual real world problem with using it.

C4396457-7C6A-4F8F-8AA3-06E52D2004F5.png

07099C4D-EF02-4617-8A34-F90C057A8405.jpeg

F3A905E1-FD15-4960-A70A-3B131EF16B80.jpeg

Edited by Ativa

48 minutes ago, Ativa said:

How many times have you used it?

What are the issues?

Its an absolute doddle to use, I really don’t get peoples issues 🤷‍♂️

Used it once. 

It’s a complete faff and unnecessary. Reverted to alternatives .Third party parking suppliers ( which were cheaper)I don’t want another app crowding my phone screen which I will use only occasionally, there’s enough on there already

Its a sledgehammer to crack a nut. There wouldn’t be this level of complaints if everything was hunky dory.

Like I said there is a perfectly workable system at Shaws Brow car park. Use that

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Used it once. 

It’s a complete faff and unnecessary. Reverted to alternatives .Third party parking suppliers ( which were cheaper)I don’t want another app crowding my phone screen which I will use only occasionally, there’s enough on there already

Its a sledgehammer to crack a nut. There wouldn’t be this level of complaints if everything was hunky dory.

Like I said there is a perfectly workable system at Shaws Brow car park. Use that

Just shows different people have different preferences.

I love it.  Balls to having to go to a machine in the rain and faff about when I land.

Get in the car and drive away wins every time for me.

I really can’t see why anyone would find it a faff but some obviously do.  It takes seconds while sat warm and dry in the car, at home or in the departure lounge.

Edit.  To be fair the first time obviously takes a bit more faff as you have to create an account, add your vehicle etc.

Next time will take seconds.

Edited by Ativa

12 minutes ago, swoopy2110 said:

There's also a nice sign as you go through security advising you to pay for parking before travelling. There is no excuse for missing it.

As others have said, this is typical IOM attitude of "I'm not doing it because I want it the old way". 

No excuse? I didn't see it and I wasn't looking for it! As I say, it's a once in a while parking experience, if I'm going for longer than a day I get a lift to the airport. This app is meant for regular parkers not the occasional user. I don't want my phone full of useless apps just to satisfy some fetish that IoMG happens to have, until it fades away to the next trendy fad!

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Just now, Ativa said:

Just shows different people have different preferences.

I love it.  Balls to having to go to a machine in the rain and faff about when I land.

Get in the car and drive away wins every time for me.

I really can’t see why anyone would find it a faff but some obviously do.  It takes seconds while sat warm and dry in the car, at home or in the departure lounge.

OK fair enough but make it one of a number of options.

As my late mother used to say a drop of rain never hurt anybody!

3 minutes ago, Max Power said:

No excuse? I didn't see it and I wasn't looking for it! As I say, it's a once in a while parking experience, if I'm going for longer than a day I get a lift to the airport. This app is meant for regular parkers not the occasional user. I don't want my phone full of useless apps just to satisfy some fetish that IoMG happens to have, until it fades away to the next trendy fad!

Pay at the desk then 🤷‍♂️

2 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

OK fair enough but make it one of a number of options.

As my late mother used to say a drop of rain never hurt anybody!

There are plenty of options.  I really don’t know what more people want, but anyway.

2 minutes ago, Utah 01 said:

.....until the computer says no' and you find you're £100 down for a stay you never made.  Your faith in technology is concerning.

Well, I pay for everything on my phone and have used this particular app countless times.  Literally thousands of phone payments a year in multiple countries since lockdown and never a single issue.

I have zero reason not to trust it and don’t even own a tinfoil hat.

Edited by Ativa

Just now, Utah 01 said:

Nothing else to add.

You could try explaining why I and hundreds of millions of others should be concerned?

Personally I have had more issues with physical transactions in shops or at the bank counter over the last 10 years than I have using tech.  Literally not a single tech related issue compared to numerous instances of getting the wrong change or payments into the bank not ever appearing on my account.

I tried to get the app and it came back saying I needed to upgrade my phone , which is about 4 years old and an apple ,  why cant we just have ANPR on entry and pay with a debit card or phone ,on the way out , that way if you flight is cancelled  or delayed you wont be worried about getting a penalty ,  keep it simple  there are a lot of people who just cant afford an I 13 apple phone  or similar 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Omobono said:

I tried to get the app and it came back saying I needed to upgrade my phone , which is about 4 years old and an apple ,  why cant we just have ANPR on entry and pay with a debit card or phone ,on the way out , that way if you flight is cancelled  or delayed you wont be worried about getting a penalty ,  keep it simple  there are a lot of people who just cant afford an I 13 apple phone  or similar 

Nonsense! This is the IOM we're all millionaires and the streets are paved with gold etc etc etc.

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, Omobono said:

Sorry, but that’s nonsense.

The app runs on all iPhones released since 2014, but you might need to update your software which is just a general part of owing a phone or any tech.

Also, if you don’t want to keep on top of updates you can just use the website on whatever device you are posting here from, or on the phone with the old software 

ECEF8187-7C5A-4F08-9541-E80D147AA816.jpeg

72DB0446-BB60-43AE-B3A0-7C781614768F.jpeg

Edited by Ativa

1 hour ago, Ativa said:

Nobody from the UK would have an issue with it because that’s how most carpark operate in 2023, but being the IOM we have a fair few moaners who want to continue to live in the 70’s.

Except on the very previous page someone pointed to an example from Dover (which was in the UK the last time I looked), where so many people had "an issue" with RingGo that it caused a shopping centre that introduced it to lose 40% of their custom.  Given that we know air traffic is down, while sea travel has returned to pre-pandemic levels, it may even be that the decisions some people have made may be influenced by the way parking at the Airport has been seen to become 'too much of a faff'.

1 hour ago, Max Power said:

That app is meant for car parks which people use on a daily basis, not an airport car park which is used once in a blue moon.

It's not just that this sort of app is not very-user friendly for many people, it's that the particular one they have chosen is not suited for the usage patterns that the Airport has.  I couldn't find another airport that used it - most places that do are, as you say, places with regular users such as workplaces or station car parks. 

I've speculated before about whether the DoI Highways people looked at it with an eye to trialling it in their Douglas multistorey car parks and decided to try it out the Airport rather than spending a few thou replacing the barriers.  Of course this sort of system can be made to work where there is no alternative and people are forced to use it and where use is frequent enough to justify the elaborate set-up needed.  But that's not the case at the Airport any more than it was for the Dover shoppers (and wouldn't be for the Strand Street ones).

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1