Airport.

Billy kettlefish

It seems that some regular and longer term users like the RingGo System and for them it makes sense to use it. It also seems that most people who do not fit into that category despise it. 

Would it not make sense  to have an area of the car park  which is pay and display for the use of people for parking up to 24  or 48 hours. If it was properly signed it would enable customers to go to correct area easily. If they need just an hour or two at the airport they wouldn't need to download an app. If they are collecting passengers from a plane that is late they don't need an app. 

It can be a debit/credit card system so no cash involved.. 

As previous contributors have said. the system should cater for all potential customers not just a few. 

I don't think many would object to a Fee of £2 for an up  2 hour stop. 

Most airports in uk charge £4 or so just for a few minutes pick up /drop off stop.

The govt have already proved they are losing 10s of thousands by enforcing an unpopular system I'm sure an inclusive system would improve the finances as well as people's perception. 

• Like 2

My car was badly scratched in the Ronaldsway car park.  Naturally the airport's response was "tough". 

Since then, my airport parking has been 100% with ASP or Mylchreests.   I'd rather support local businesses who provide an actual service and take care of your car.  

This Parking App nonsense simply reinforces my decision.  

• Like 8

1 hour ago, emesde said:

It seems that some regular and longer term users like the RingGo System and for them it makes sense to use it. It also seems that most people who do not fit into that category despise it. 

Would it not make sense  to have an area of the car park  which is pay and display for the use of people for parking up to 24  or 48 hours. If it was properly signed it would enable customers to go to correct area easily. If they need just an hour or two at the airport they wouldn't need to download an app. If they are collecting passengers from a plane that is late they don't need an app. 

It can be a debit/credit card system so no cash involved.. 

As previous contributors have said. the system should cater for all potential customers not just a few. 

I don't think many would object to a Fee of £2 for an up  2 hour stop. 

Most airports in uk charge £4 or so just for a few minutes pick up /drop off stop.

The govt have already proved they are losing 10s of thousands by enforcing an unpopular system I'm sure an inclusive system would improve the finances as well as people's perception. 

It costs too much to install barriers apparently.  Not sure how every other car park in the world managed to do it.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

"saying the terminal building reconfiguration is estimated to cost £3 million and new flight management systems would be up to £300m. "

The "£300m" is a mistake (I hope), but I do not find the actual figure anywhere else.

It won’t be a mistake it will be a civil servants made up number to try to get what they want. It’s a poxy regional airport that takes about 650,000 passengers a year. I’d guess we’ve already spent sixty odd million on the various runway enhancements and now they say it’s going to take another £300M to upgrade the flight management systems. It’s the usual civil servants bullshit lottery numbers. And after that’s been spent the airport will still be shit. 

11 hours ago, Ativa said:

You could try explaining why I and hundreds of millions of others should be concerned?

Personally I have had more issues with physical transactions in shops or at the bank counter over the last 10 years than I have using tech.  

Have you managed to explain what your query is to one of those “ chat assistants “ that companies have on their websites rather than going round and round in circles?

If so you’re a better man than me Gungadin!

1 hour ago, Karellen said:

My car was badly scratched in the Ronaldsway car park.  Naturally the airport's response was "tough". 

Since then, my airport parking has been 100% with ASP or Mylchreests.   I'd rather support local businesses who provide an actual service and take care of your car.  

This Parking App nonsense simply reinforces my decision.  

Shame your car was scratched but what exactly would you like the airport to do? 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Have you managed to explain what your query is to one of those “ chat assistants “ that companies have on their websites rather than going round and round in circles?

If so you’re a better man than me Gungadin!

I have honestly never had a problem with them, if you are careful what you ask and prepared with all relevant info then they are normally quicker than having to wait to speak to someone and the added bonus is that you have a full transcript at the end should there need to be any follow up.

I do think it’s a generational thing though.  I know older people who seem to spend their lives on calls, and chat bots with queries about this and questions about that.  I just don’t ever seem to have the need.

Banking is all done online.  I haven’t spoken to anyone at the bank or been into a branch for years, yet people I know who only run a basic current and savings account seem to be on to them all the time and bemoaning the loss of local branches 🤷‍♂️

Adding a couple of visiting relatives to the car insurance recently meant typing an email in five minutes one evening and sending it to CTH.  By 9:30 the next morning I had a quote in my inbox and bank transferred then the £39.  Ten minutes later I had a cover note in my inbox. I know people who would have turned that into three long phone calls and a visit there to pay in person and wait for a print out.

37 minutes ago, cissolt said:

It costs too much to install barriers apparently.  Not sure how every other car park in the world managed to do it.

That was just a lie from start to finish from a clueless minister.        At the time he said it was going to cost around quarter of a million pounds.. 

Yet an outside barrier with a card reader and intercom was fitted at laxey school for a lot less

'"The barrier, including the intercom and card access, cost £14,048" 

As you say every car park in every country in Europe and beyond uses that system because it has proved the most successful and efficient. 

And probably costs a lot less than employing people to check times and number plates. 

Most importantly everyone knows them and seems comfortable using them. 

• Like 3

Don’t get me wrong. Technology is brilliant. When I think of the faff you used to have to go through to re tax your car, go to the post office with various documents, hand over a cheque etc. Now it’s a case of a few clicks on the government website and your tax disc normally arrives in the next days post.

Same as you say for insurance, booking travel, online shopping, banking etc.

But being of the older generation  I do miss a lot of the human interaction but that’s the way it is I guess.

But I don’t think I’ll ever master those chat assistants. They can send you into a nervous breakdown when you’re using them. “ I don’t understand “ they say “can you phrase it differently “. There’s only so many permutations you can use and you end up where you started. Infuriating.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Ativa said:

Adding a couple of visiting relatives to the car insurance recently meant typing an email in five minutes one evening and sending it to CTH.  By 9:30 the next morning I had a quote in my inbox and bank transferred then the £39.  Ten minutes later I had a cover note in my inbox. I know people who would have turned that into three long phone calls and a visit there to pay in person and wait for a print out.

You are taking a one-sided view.

If you want to hand over money, companies will make it easy for you to do so. If you have a problem, they do not make life easy for you.

The most amusing encounter I recently had was via a "Push button 1 for..., push button 2 for.." system. After going round in circles for a while the automated voice said "There are no more options. Goodbye" and hung up.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

When I think of the faff you used to have to go through to re tax your car, go to the post office with various documents, hand over a cheque etc. Now it’s a case of a few clicks on the government website and your tax disc normally arrives in the next days post.

WHAT?

Since when? You mean, I don't have to go to the post office with various documents and my inside leg measurement anymore?

This is a massive revelation to me. Thank you Sir.

• Haha 4

23 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

You are taking a one-sided view.

If you want to hand over money, companies will make it easy for you to do so. If you have a problem, they do not make life easy for you.

The most amusing encounter I recently had was via a "Push button 1 for..., push button 2 for.." system. After going round in circles for a while the automated voice said "There are no more options. Goodbye" and hung up.

Couple of things to try - push 0, whatever the recording says.  It might work.  On the voice recognition ones just say 'Operator' - it might just take you to a human.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, wrighty said:

Couple of things to try - push 0, whatever the recording says.  It might work.  On the voice recognition ones just say 'Operator' - it might just take you to a human.

On at least one occasion I was asked if I wanted to speak to a human. I said yes and waited to chat to one. 
None appeared ( or at least not before ten minutes had elapsed, and I turned the thing off)

Another handy hint and tip is if you’ve pressed an option on the phone ( say for technical advice) and are just put on hold.
If there’s an option for purchasing a new product or service hang up and retry that option They seem to answer calls that might bring them more revenue more quickly.Usually the person who answers will be able to answer your query or will transfer you to someone who can.