Airport.

Billy kettlefish

10 hours ago, Roxanne said:

This seems to be a common theme in government. Elected officials too ‘proud’ too ‘egotistical’ to be able to put their emotions to one side in order to gather information from those who know.  It’s hugely frustrating. 

I don't think the main problem is with the elected officials, it's the unelected ones who are the real cause.  But far too many politicians have been happy to go along with the system that gives them a nice easy life if they never question what they are told.  But then if they do in even the slightest, most ineffectual way, they will end up like Rob Callister. 

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

And Treasury are clearly refusing to let the DoI spend any money on the Airport unless it fits their plans.  Look how they refused to replace even the decrepit trollies and the DoI had to get the cash from DfE.

What are Treasury's plans for the airport?

If they are looking at things at such a very low level, why did they approve the funding for Ramsey's new pedestrian crossing to nowhere?

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, WTF said:

there was atleast one suitable candidate that knew a lot about aviation and airports but they were far too knowledgeable and practical to be given the job.

Were you in interview panel or told this b6 someone who didn’t get 5he job?

26 minutes ago, Mercenary said:

Ask Moorhouse to question what the economic impact assessment (one of his favourite questions?) of disrupted air travellers due to low visibility. If he can fit it in between asking how train whistles work

The answer to that question is critical. Over time, it must surely outweigh the one off cost of bringing the airport up to scratch regarding low visibility approach aids.

It beggars belief that it hasn’t been considered as far as I’m aware.

• Like 5

44 minutes ago, Mercenary said:

Ask Moorhouse to question what the economic impact assessment (one of his favourite questions?) of disrupted air travellers due to low visibility.

The way to repair the economic damage is to boost the retail experience of stranded airport passengers....

1 hour ago, Roger Mexico said:

they will end up like Rob Callister. 

We'll have to agree to disagree on that one. Rob Callister wasn't sacked because he questioned what he was told. He's never done so throughout his entire political career and he didn't start when he got to Health either. But, I agree with your point when talking about government culture as a whole.

• Haha 1

God knows why Chris Thomas et al are so concerned with airport retail, rather than airport operation. My impression of a busy Liverpool departures area was not good. Plenty of people.  Plenty of noisy drunks. One or more groups of rugby-types fairly drunk. Any number of people noisily walking to the departure gate with one hand carrying a bag and the other a pint glass. A standard price at all establishments of £16.99 for a (probably small) chicken curry. There is a Victoria's Secret shop, but I didn't try it - I doubt they stock my size.

It may be that the shops and consequently the airport managers make a profit, but it was not an enjoyable experience for me. But the drunks obviously liked it.

2 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

God knows why Chris Thomas et al are so concerned with airport retail, rather than airport operation.

I heard CT on the radio on Friday. He’s playing some sort of strange game that only he knows what it is. The airport simply isn’t fit for purpose and that’s after it’s had about £100M spent on it in the 10 ten years. It’s just another shitty empire that’s been raped by incompetents to further their own careers. The only retail options it has is to provide more services to people who aren’t traveling as there’s no major money to be had based on current throughput. He says he isn’t in favour of privatization whilst at the same time he seems to be making a very good case for privatization on the basis that it clearly can’t be competently run within the current structure. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

God knows why Chris Thomas et al are so concerned with airport retail, rather than airport operation. My impression of a busy Liverpool departures area was not good. Plenty of people.  Plenty of noisy drunks. One or more groups of rugby-types fairly drunk. Any number of people noisily walking to the departure gate with one hand carrying a bag and the other a pint glass. A standard price at all establishments of £16.99 for a (probably small) chicken curry. There is a Victoria's Secret shop, but I didn't try it - I doubt they stock my size.

It may be that the shops and consequently the airport managers make a profit, but it was not an enjoyable experience for me. But the drunks obviously liked it.

Our airport is massively missing a truck on retail.

If I have a flight at 20:00 o will head to the Whitestone for food and drink and then head to ronaldsway at the last minute, because I can’t even get a proper meal there.

On the early morning flights I can’t even get a proper breakfast.

At other airports I rock up a few hours early and spend on food and drink.  They are missing out.

3 hours ago, Two-lane said:

I assume he was the one who shut down CityWings on the runway at Ronaldsway.

The link to IoM CAA is:

https://www.iomaircraftregistry.com/

There is a staff of 20, of which 9 are in registry services.

these people are bringing money into the Island and without the aircraft registry it would be difficult  for corporate service providers   to supply a package  of  aircraft procurement  and management to clients  same with the Yachts and ships , and attract revenue and VAT    don't confuse this function   with the shit show that is the airport  and the layers of  surplus management that is the DOI , you could loose  25 managers tomorrow from the DOI empire  and it wouldn't even be noticed , 

want to save money in Government then do what every other business does, start looking  at the wage bill  and deciding what is essential and who   can go to support the shortage of labour in the private sector , and why have we have almost 500 new government employees in the last 4 years , ? 

Questions need to be asked , before the government monster bankrupts us all 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Mercenary said:

what the economic impact assessment of disrupted air travellers due to low visibility.

If an economic impact assessment could be written, it would certainly provide a lot of valuable information. However, I fear that it would be nigh impossible to write such a document. Firstly, what would be measured? Secondly, would the assessment consider the short-term or long-term impacts? I also doubt whether the IOMG has the ‘in-house’ skills to write such a report. If it was to be written, I suspect it would be contracted out to a consultancy firm, such as KPMG Consulting, who would no doubt charge a small fortune. 

5 minutes ago, code99 said:

If an economic impact assessment could be written, it would certainly provide a lot of valuable information. However, I fear that it would be nigh impossible to write such a document. Firstly, what would be measured? Secondly, would the assessment consider the short-term or long-term impacts? I also doubt whether the IOMG has the ‘in-house’ skills to write such a report. If it was to be written, I suspect it would be contracted out to a consultancy firm, such as KPMG Consulting, who would no doubt charge a small fortune. 

and they would be told  exactly what to put in the report so as not to  ruffle feathers in the  department !   

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1