Airport.

Billy kettlefish

Why doesn’t the airport have a qualified & experienced Head of Safety & Compliance?

Looks like we have been spending money on UK consultants - again

You'd think that safety and compliance would top the list of requirements in a highly regulated sector like Airports

IMG_4761.jpeg

• Like 1

11 hours ago, NoTailT said:

Let's not forget also the underwrite on the London route separately.

That was for a limited time and expired a long time ago.

We did without Heathrow for years. Still don’t understand the obsession.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, NoTailT said:

At the time, Flybe mk2 were operating legally and wanted to fly to Heathrow and Belfast City. They were told to pay full list fees of charges, whilst we threw millions at an underwrite. They pulled the flights, yes, but how can any operator compete against an underwrite and heavily reduced airport fees?

Flybe2 knew about the underwrite when they announced their return. And it was time limited, and they knew that. Yet they decided to sell tickets.

Then they “didn’t have the planes”, although the same planes they didn’t have were switched to north east England routes within days.

They were nothing but chancers.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Kipper99 said:

Why doesn’t the airport have a qualified & experienced Head of Safety & Compliance?

Thought that was the strange safety woman or is that another non job ?

Rox on another thread posted this I thought this more than apt on this one ....

Screenshot 2023-05-03 at 09.40.14.png

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, John Wright said:

That was for a limited time and expired a long time ago.

We did without Heathrow for years. Still don’t understand the obsession.

Well the data shows around 2600 people using a month . It’s popular for business people , those living to the north and west of London and those who want to be on inter connecting international flights . 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kipper99 said:

Based on the link that you posted a couple of pages back, it appears that the UK Department of Transport will be conducting an airport safety audit in May 2024 (one year from now). It seems possible there will be some corollaries/ recommendations arising from this audit, e.g., appointing a Head of Safety and Compliance.

Anyway, whatever the DOI’s ‘masterplan’ for the airport is, surely IOMG will have to wait for the UK’s audit before making any material decisions...?

19 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

Things like that have happened to me in IoM, Gatwick, City, Dublin, Liverpool, Manchester. Never in Barcelona, Reus, Sofia.

But then trains aren’t much better. I’ve been forgotten at London Victoria. The new Eliz line from Heathrow is brilliant. No gap, no height difference, level access from most trains to street and vice versa, and the location of lifts is well signed.

Ive every sympathy with the guy, but the story doesn’t add up. There’s a touch of Irish confusion.

Passenger claims ( in a different article ) that he paid extra for priority through the airport to cover lift on/lift off. Ryanair do indeed have a priority boarding add on, but that’s not PRM lift on/off assistance. You have to phone up and book that separately, and it’s free, even with RyanAir*. I’m pretty sure I know what happened.

Mr Keogh, from Wicklow in the Republic of Ireland, said he had booked and paid extra for priority to ensure he got the support he needed.

* Ryanair used to try and charge extra for wheelchairs. European Court told them not allowed.

• Sad 1

On 5/3/2023 at 9:42 AM, asitis said:

Thought that was the strange safety woman or is that another non job ?

Rox on another thread posted this I thought this more than apt on this one ....

Screenshot 2023-05-03 at 09.40.14.png

On 5/3/2023 at 9:51 AM, Cypman said:

In my day, Safety Management was one of the primary responsibilities of the Operations Manager.

On 5/3/2023 at 11:17 AM, code99 said:

Based on the link that you posted a couple of pages back, it appears that the UK Department of Transport will be conducting an airport safety audit in May 2024 (one year from now). It seems possible there will be some corollaries/ recommendations arising from this audit, e.g., appointing a Head of Safety and Compliance.

Anyway, whatever the DOI’s ‘masterplan’ for the airport is, surely IOMG will have to wait for the UK’s audit before making any material decisions...?

The lady in charge of safety, etc, is Melissa Rundle, a retired South African Airways trolley dolly. Not sure what experience, if any, she has of this type of work anywhere except the IoM.

1 hour ago, Kipper99 said:

The lady in charge of safety, etc, is Melissa Rundle, a retired South African Airways trolley dolly. Not sure what experience, if any, she has of this type of work anywhere except the IoM.

I'm sure I read what I considered to be a slightly strange self promotion spiel somewhere but can't find it now.

20 minutes ago, asitis said:

I'm sure I read what I considered to be a slightly strange self promotion spiel somewhere but can't find it now.

As strange as the other lady they took on....?