Airport.

Billy kettlefish

Anyone who doesn’t have a plan B when flying is taking a huge risk. UK261- compensation excepted- applies even where the cancellation is due to weather, etc, but airlines don’t have the capacity to mollycoddle everyone. You need to know how to sort yourself.

Just another example of Manxies refusing to use technology because, well, fuck knows why.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Roger Mexico said:

It was advertised on Jobtrain and picked up by external agencies and there was even a bit of discussion on here, though the links are now useless.  I'm annoyed I didn't paste images of the original Jobtrain as I seem to remember that the salary was over £100,000 pa.

But the real question isn't whether this person is right for the job, but whether the job is required at all (along with possibly at least one other of the new ones).  This looks more like a job being created for the 'right' person, rather than it actually being needed.

It's also worth pointing out that the job was advertised before Tynwald passed the document saying that it was needed, in passing the Airport plan.  Which shows just what contempt the civil service hold our politicians and democratic processes in - and how our politicians are happy to go along with it, providing they get paid.

£100,000??

The position is not required. What are/is they/she going to develop? Zero. When you negotiate with airlines or indeed any commercial entity you will be dealing with hard-nosed business people. If you have spent most of your working life in a CS 6 hour/day office then the chances are you'll get shafted. But worry ye not, the GMT will be there to bail you out.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

£100,000??

The position is not required. What are/is they/she going to develop? Zero. When you negotiate with airlines or indeed any commercial entity you will be dealing with hard-nosed business people. If you have spent most of your working life in a CS 6 hour/day office then the chances are you'll get shafted. But worry ye not, the GMT will be there to bail you out.

I'm not sure why they're at Routes and I'd love to know the cost of attending and exhibiting.

There aren't millions of airlines in the Europe. The Airport needs someone knowledgeable to look at X country and say; which carriers exist there, can they fly here with their aircraft to their base airports and can we support or incentivise the route appropriately even if only seasonal. Routes operates an online marketplace for airlines to shop for routes too.

In reality, we need to look at 1) easyJet, can they offer us any more? 2) Can Ryanair offer us capacity anywhere? 3) Can Jet2 offer us any seasonal capacity? 4) Can Eastern or Loganair offer us any other UK domestic options e.g. Leeds, Southampton, Glasgow etc

That would be my priority and I don't think it needs a £100k/yr bod to figure it out. I also think there's a strong market here for someone like Luthansa or KLM to fly their E Jets to hubs. Great for connections and great for destination too. I - like many I know - have flown to Liverpool and then gone out with Lufthansa to somewhere. I think it could work.

Drag Seamus Byrne or someone similar who we know has experience in the industry and get them in there figuring this out. It could be that Visit Agency at DFE leads the fore on this, rather than a single bod at the airport, it just seems unneccessary.

Edited by NoTailT
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Ativa said:

https://www.change.org/p/fairness-for-isle-of-man-air-passengers

he purpose of this petition is twofold. The signees of this petition (prayer) request that Government urgently speak with EasyJet management to ensure Isie of Man residents are treated in a decent and humane manner once cancellations and delays occur. Once again we were simply abandoned in Gatwick. There was NO assistance there from anyone.

Many passengers do not have access to an app at all, let alone in the UK.  Assistance should be given by airline ground staff to assist passengers to find a hotel for the night immediately. All I can say is that I hope everyone on that flight found somewhere comfortable to sleep. It was a horrible experience. 

Yes.  Government should definitely have that conversation and make sure easyJet and all other airlines refuse to fly here any more.  FFS

Rather silly and naive petition, probably created in the heat of the moment. To have any chance of having an impact, it should surely be directed to the Civil Aviation Authority, not the IOM Government!

9 minutes ago, Nellie said:

Rather silly and naive petition, probably created in the heat of the moment. To have any chance of having an impact, it should surely be directed to the Civil Aviation Authority, not the IOM Government!

It shouldn’t  be directed to anyone.  It’s the sort of crap that makes the island a laughing stock.

Shit happens.  Sometimes you just have to suck it up and deal with it.

EasyJet allow us to fly to and from Gatwick at stupidly low prices.  They can’t do that and have loads of spare capacity and loads of staff on standby at all hours to babysit people.

Low cost means looking after yourself to a certain extent, and the ones moaning would be the same ones complaining laing if it was £250 each way to London like it used to be in the days of much better customer service.

Edited by Ativa
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Ativa said:

It shouldn’t  be directed to anyone.  It’s the sort of crap that makes the island a laughing stock.

EasyJet allow us to fly to and from Gatwick at stupidly low prices.  They can’t do that and have loads of spare capacity and loads of staff on standby at all hours to babysit people.

Low cost means looking after yourself to a certain extent, and the ones moaning would be the same ones complaining laing if it was £250 each way to London like it used to be in the days of much better customer service.

Quite agree. The same angry mob were not so upset booking a flight to LGW for £33.99.

We got stuck a few weeks ago and while it was fend for yourself I’d struggle to fault the expenses refund process.

2 hours ago, ptarmigan said:

I'd live someone independent to do a review of the airport landing systems and security checks. To see if it would be worth the money to upgrade.  In terms of businesses, visitors, the wider economy.   

Because of the tremenjous value that has followed as a result of other IoMG-funded consulting projects? 😉

• Like 1

This is an adjustable trolley park after being adjusted by the DoI. Note that they have used the open-plan, free-form, style. This concept is being promoted by the management team while they are in Poland. The steel bar next to the building has been retained to protect the building from catastrophic damage. The plan is for all walls to be similarly protected.

2023-05-10-121002-DSC_8896-preview4-crop.thumb.jpg.756b6a3a9251e7d861bcfc22be030361.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

17 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

And there is this trolley park after being adjusted by a customer. When the DoI gets around to doing the proper adjustment, it is 50-50 which side they will cut. Better odds than the lottery.

2023-05-10-121334-DSC_8899-preview4-crop.thumb.jpg.94da298d86e7186a06dfb6f09287e47a.jpg

That is after it’s been “properly adjusted” by DoI. Can’t you see they’ve cut out the middle rail and stanchions? You can see the filled in holes in the tarmac. So they’ve reduced capacity from 20 trolleys to 10, in a stroke. There’ll be loose trolleys everywhere. Unintended consequences, getting caught by the wind, running into cars.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Ativa said:

Well you say that but if the IOM to UK is only a small part of your travel plans to youri final destination then disruption on that leg can cause massive disruption to the rest of your travel plans.

Im away in Europe at the moment I had every confidence that the UK / Europe leg would  be alright which it was. But given all the cancelled or delayed flights from ( and to) the IOM I was on tenterhooks about the IOM / UK leg not happening despite allowing for that by spending overnight in the UK. Fortunately mine was one of the few flights that left the Island on the day it should.

Sure yes you are always going to get flights delayed or cancelled but the frequency with which this happens to/ from the IOM is truly alarming.

Travel insurance doesn’t even begin to cover it. I checked my ( fairly standard) policy and discovered I would have some recompense if my first or subsequent international flight of two or more didn’t happen, but it didn’t say anything about domestic flights.

I don’t want to claim on insurance anyway. I just want the flights I paid for to happen.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Can’t you see they’ve cut out the middle rail and stanchions?

Nope. What are you expecting - Expol level analysis of the data? Last week I had the annual eye test involving lots of expensive equipment. At the end, the optician said "According to the regulations you do not need glasses to drive", with perhaps the merest hint of suspicion of an eye-roll. But I couldn't be sure - my eyesight isn't what it used to be.

And the car park is as vacant as an MHK's skull anyway.

• Haha 4

13 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

Nope. What are you expecting - Expol level analysis of the data? Last week I had the annual eye test involving lots of expensive equipment. At the end, the optician said "According to the regulations you do not need glasses to drive", with perhaps the merest hint of suspicion of an eye-roll. But I couldn't be sure - my eyesight isn't what it used to be.

And the car park is as vacant as an MHK's skull anyway.

IMG_4744.jpeg

IMG_4746.jpeg