Airport.

Billy kettlefish

36 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Well you say that but if the IOM to UK is only a small part of your travel plans to youri final destination then disruption on that leg can cause massive disruption to the rest of your travel plans.

Im away in Europe at the moment I had every confidence that the UK / Europe leg would  be alright which it was. But given all the cancelled or delayed flights from ( and to) the IOM I was on tenterhooks about the IOM / UK leg not happening despite allowing for that by spending overnight in the UK. Fortunately mine was one of the few flights that left the Island on the day it should.

Sure yes you are always going to get flights delayed or cancelled but the frequency with which this happens to/ from the IOM is truly alarming.

Travel insurance doesn’t even begin to cover it. I checked my ( fairly standard) policy and discovered I would have some recompense if my first or subsequent international flight of two or more didn’t happen, but it didn’t say anything about domestic flights.

I don’t want to claim on insurance anyway. I just want the flights I paid for to happen.

A lot of people were away in Dublin for Bruce Springsteen but couldn’t get back & some went to Manchester with are lingos & got flights from there, there were many due out Monday who missed that nights concert, obviously had paid for hotels/concert tickets so lots of insurance claims if they’ll cover it.

55 minutes ago, doc.fixit said:

Just been to the airport. Looks like folk are vetoing the utterly stupid parking app. I've never seen the car park so empty.

Not surprised at all. I’ve been using Mylchreests for years to park at the airport. You park in ther spaces give them your keys and your car is waiting for you on arrival, washed, for less than you pay for using the airport parking. 
Rang up to book my car in with them and for the first time was told they were fully booked. 
Obviously Ringo has pushed people in their direction. They must be very pleased to o be a beneficiary of that stupid app.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, doc.fixit said:

Just been to the airport. Looks like folk are vetoing the utterly stupid parking app. I've never seen the car park so empty.

I parked just up the road = £0 and got the bus = £2.00 I think for 10 days. Result

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, snowman said:

Last time I checked, my bags had wheels.

How did people get the bags into their cars at home without trolleys....?

People will be asking for trolleys to be supplied to home addresses soon

Depends on whether you are going long haul / shopping trip across and the luggage you have 

While I often travel with a big bag that I check in and a cabin bag and do   not bother with the trolley, everyone has different levels of mobility. 

Sometimes one person ends up with multiple bags  as the others travelling with them cannot carry them .

Not easy to navigate with 2 large check in bags and a cabin bag even if all of them have wheels . ( for example if a couple is  travelling  with one unable to handle heavy luggage)

Easier to stick all of them on a baggage trolley as most people do in the rest of the world 

At home when you load bags into the car you can make multiple trips from home to car. So you don't need a trolley..

This is not a case at  at most airports in the world or in the UK   Leave baggage un attended for a few minutes and you may end up with  police attending it. Trolley is often needed from the car to check in area or from baggage claim to the car..

Edited by mad_manx
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Well you say that but if the IOM to UK is only a small part of your travel plans to youri final destination then disruption on that leg can cause massive disruption to the rest of your travel plans.

Im away in Europe at the moment I had every confidence that the UK / Europe leg would  be alright which it was. But given all the cancelled or delayed flights from ( and to) the IOM I was on tenterhooks about the IOM / UK leg not happening despite allowing for that by spending overnight in the UK. Fortunately mine was one of the few flights that left the Island on the day it should.

Sure yes you are always going to get flights delayed or cancelled but the frequency with which this happens to/ from the IOM is truly alarming.

Travel insurance doesn’t even begin to cover it. I checked my ( fairly standard) policy and discovered I would have some recompense if my first or subsequent international flight of two or more didn’t happen, but it didn’t say anything about domestic flights.

I don’t want to claim on insurance anyway. I just want the flights I paid for to happen.

If you just want the flights you paid for to happen, then you need to move somewhere away from the Irish Sea.  Alternatively you allow for delays in your travel plans.

The boats were delayed by fog this week as well.  You need to allow for it when travelling on and off island.  It’s part of island life

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

53 minutes ago, snowman said:

Last time I checked, my bags had wheels.

How did people get the bags into their cars at home without trolleys....?

People will be asking for trolleys to be supplied to home addresses soon

I was thinking this.  The requirement for trolleys is a fraction of what it was years ago.

Cases have wheels now and people just send their luggage on ahead anyway.  Who can be arsed logging multiple cases through an airport?

As for the “stupid app” it’s an absolute doddle to use.  

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Ativa said:

https://www.change.org/p/fairness-for-isle-of-man-air-passengers

he purpose of this petition is twofold. The signees of this petition (prayer) request that Government urgently speak with EasyJet management to ensure Isie of Man residents are treated in a decent and humane manner once cancellations and delays occur. Once again we were simply abandoned in Gatwick. There was NO assistance there from anyone.

Many passengers do not have access to an app at all, let alone in the UK.  Assistance should be given by airline ground staff to assist passengers to find a hotel for the night immediately. All I can say is that I hope everyone on that flight found somewhere comfortable to sleep. It was a horrible experience. 

Yes.  Government should definitely have that conversation and make sure easyJet and all other airlines refuse to fly here any more.  FFS

All I hope is that the experience I had with my wife and kids on Monday never happens to you or your family.  I seen elderly people there, one or two with very limited mobility, very confused and worried as to what they should do or where to go.

The app itself didn't even recognise there was a problem until at least an hour after we arrived back in Gatwick (in international arrivals), so I guess everyone's app shown the same incorrect information. The first available flight we were offered (4 of us) was on Saturday and we accepted that just to get a hotel. It was impossible to get a hotel without firstly accepting a flight which to me is completely mental and deliberately unfair. 

We made our own way in the morning to Liverpool. £400 I am out of pocket. EasyJet simply do not care at all. They should. We are their passengers on their flight. 

Very convenient you didn't include the rest of the petition. 

Anyways just remember I don't always simply think of myself whilst trying to open a conversation. I think about the effects on other less able people about what happened. 

If you seriously think a conversation between the DOI MINISTER and EasyJet requesting fairness and kindness to passengers will result in them not flying here anymore, then you need to think again. 

Personally I suspect real foul play happening and I have my reasons for thinking that. Eventually I will get to speak to people that can help albeit strangely enough I already have in a way earlier today. 

What have you done in the last 24 hours to try (just try) to make the Isle of Man a better place?  It's a petition---if you don't agree with it, just don't sign it. Ripping the piss out of me after my experience and trying my best, reflects more on you than me!! 

Edited by Bazza Smurf
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Ativa said:

If you just want the flights you paid for to happen, then you need to move somewhere away from the Irish Sea.  Alternatively you allow for delays in your travel plans.

The boats were delayed by fog this week as well.  You need to allow for it when travelling on and off island.  It’s part of island life

None of Monday’s flight cancellations would have happened if the airport was properly equipped to deal with the weather we often get here.

The inconvenience and cost to individuals and businesses that these avoidable events cause cannot be overstated. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 5

4 hours ago, Bazza Smurf said:

All I hope is that the experience I had with my wife and kids on Monday never happens to you or your family.  I seen elderly people there, one or two with very limited mobility, very confused and worried as to what they should do or where to go.

The app itself didn't even recognise there was a problem until at least an hour after we arrived back in Gatwick (in international arrivals), so I guess everyone's app shown the same incorrect information. The first available flight we were offered (4 of us) was on Saturday and we accepted that just to get a hotel. It was impossible to get a hotel without firstly accepting a flight which to me is completely mental and deliberately unfair. 

We made our own way in the morning to Liverpool. £400 I am out of pocket. EasyJet simply do not care at all. They should. We are their passengers on their flight. 

Anyways just remember I don't always simply think of myself whilst trying to open a conversation. I think about the effects on other less able people about what happened. 

If you seriously think a conversation between the DOI MINISTER and EasyJet requesting fairness and kindness to passengers will result in them not flying here anymore, then you need to think again. 

Personally I suspect real foul play happening and I have my reasons for thinking that. Eventually I will get to speak to people that can help albeit strangely enough I already have in a way earlier today. 

What have you done in the last 24 hours to try (just try) to make the Isle of Man a better place?  It's a petition---if you don't agree with it, just don't sign it. Ripping the piss out of me after my experience and trying my best, reflects more on you than me!! 

Is fog easyJet responsibility? You will get you money back & surely your travel insurance also covers you for disruption?

It’s part of travelling to and from the island and has happened to me a number of times over the years.  With and without kids, on the ferry and with various airlines due to weather.

in each case it’s been out problem to sort.  If delays have been mechanical or down to delayed income of flights then that’s a bit different, but you are still likely to have to fork out and claim back if you want it sorting quickly.

• Haha 1

I can see  that you  had a rough time and understand your concerns. 

But out of curiosity what would you have done if the flight was canceled say 3 or 4 hours before and you hadn't reached the airport by then ? 

Would you have turned up at the airport expecting  easyjet to make all arrangements for you and family  ? 

Or would you have spent  hours and wasted money and time trying to get through to someone at a call centre 

In the past you had to depend on the airline / call around multiple hotels etc to make arrangements 

These days it's  easier to sort stuff yourself and then claim back later with the airline and use travel insurance as a backup.

Regarding   apps whether the easyjet app or any app always remember that data on an app may not refresh immediately and can  take ages to update unlike the app  notifications which are pushed through ( if enabled) 

If you feel that the app data is not getting  updated you  can either force close it and restart the app (if you know how to) or can try to  switch off the phone and restart 

Same with some websites .. you may have to clear the cache and go back again.. 

Having travelled on easyjet quite a lot in the UK and overseas they are probably the best in handling  such issues ( in fact the best experience ever in claims management after having similar issues with multiple  airlines from  all over the world ) ..

Have not had to speak to anyone at easyjet  for  such  claims for a very long time  and everything was handled online..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Banker said:

Is fog easyJet responsibility? You will get you money back & surely your travel insurance also covers you for disruption?

Yesterday they told me that because I took a flight for Saturday in order to get a hotel, I am only entitled to £20 Gov tax. 

5 hours ago, Bazza Smurf said:

Personally I suspect real foul play happening and I have my reasons for thinking that.

Please tell us what you suspect, and why.

I travel,lots, and with a wheelchair. Occasionally I get delays and cancellations, or PRM assistance doesn’t appear and I’m stuck.

Apps don’t update immediately. You may have to wait, log out, log back in. Most people will have booked on line. If you can book you can rebook.

Of course you have to book your replacement flight before you can book the hotel. They need to know how long you’ll have to stay.

EZY are responsive to expense reimbursement and I’ve not had problems.

4 weeks ago my flight from Dublin couldn’t land. Aer Lingus Regional ( Emerald ). Returned to Dublin. For all sorts of reasons, I was abandoned by ramp PRM staff at the terminal door. Terminal PRM staff didn’t turn up, the lift was card reader operated for security, eventually, 30+ minutes I was collected. Baggage hall, no bag. 2 hours later landside I’d missed the transport and they’d not booked a room. 

I booked hotel. Paid. Got home following day. I’ve claimed my hotel bill and my taxi fare. Aer Lingus acknowledged. Said took 7 days to process. After 10 days they say it’s not their responsibility and have forwarded to Emerald. Emerald are stonewalling.

Barry, direct your ire at the real culprit. IoMG, DoI, Ronaldsway for having inadequate ILS. We need a light gantry at the end of RESA, we need an upgraded CAT ILS, we need a GPS back up system. We also need 6-8 additional ATC. Get those things/staff and 90%+ of the flights that don’t get in due to fog, or because there are no ATC at end of day, would land. Problem solved.

And there should definitely be something like EU261 to compensate for getting stuck on a plane because PRM assistance don’t turn up.

• Like 6