Airport.

Billy kettlefish

10 minutes ago, Bazza Smurf said:

Just before I do go. EasyJet did magic several seats on Tuesday that were not available on the Monday. I'm only staying that with the slight inclination you might be interested. I still think however your main intention was to take the piss out of me for likes. It doesn't matter. I've had that happen on several occasions before. Not such much anymore because folk appreciate I do what I say I'll do, even if I'm not always successful. 

Get some sleep buddy. You shouldn’t have had to go through all of that nonsense, hopefully some good will good from you highlighting your experience 👍.

Edited by madmanxpilot
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mad_manx said:

These days it's  easier to sort stuff yourself and then claim back later with the airline and use travel insurance as a backup.

all well and good IF you actually have the resources/funds available to do that in the first place

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bazza Smurf said:

Thanks John. I appreciate the sensible response. The question you asked me regarding foul play. 

My memory is this. Eventually the app changed. Took about an hour to recognise. There was an email first and then the screen on the app changed to a different look. 

I checked every flight from Tuesday to Saturday. The first one that came available was on Saturday. In my mind of course staying in Gatwick until Saturday was not an option, but my little girl was very upset and tired. We had flown up from Turkey. 

My decision was to take the Saturday flight to be offered a hotel via the app. That indeed worked. It was the only way to get a hotel as I say because there was no offer of a hotel without accepting a flight first. 

On Tuesday Morning when I awoke I had real decisions to make. The hotel reception were very unsure about the idea that we were to camp there till Saturday. The room was only booked for one night as far as I could work out. 

When I looked online to buy a flight there was flights available Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday. The question (foul play) bit I cannot understand is why they were not available the night before. Other people I have spoke to said they were the same. 

EasyJet representative yesterday told me that because I accepted the flight on Saturday all I was entitled to is £20 Government tax. It seems I made the wrong choice, but the problem remains, there simply was nobody there to guide anyone as to what to do. Again thank you. I didn't expect to come in from work this morning at 4am this morning and have somebody  ripping me for trying to get some political interest in the matter. 

Bazza, it sounds like the Easyjet app defaults to only offer a flight with low occupancy in such circumstances. This is revenue management and all airlines use systems for it. Suspect they have it set to only show/offer seats on a day that they don’t think they will sell. Thats why you could see seats on other days the next day.

It is both frustrating and not in the customer’s interest if that is how they have it set. But it is a low cost airline and none of them put much value on brand or customer perceptions. To be honest I think you have no chance in getting them to change, and doubt government has any influence …

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Bazza Smurf said:

Just before I do go. EasyJet did magic several seats on Tuesday that were not available on the Monday. I'm only staying that with the slight inclination you might be interested. I still think however your main intention was to take the piss out of me for likes. It doesn't matter. I've had that happen on several occasions before. Not such much anymore because folk appreciate I do what I say I'll do, even if I'm not always successful. 

Take some rest mate. I can see that you have had a stressful time 

Regarding   seat availability it can keep changing with time..  This could be due to cancellations or even aircraft substitutions 

Mate of mine was in the Gatwick flight yesterday and it was overbooked with some denied boarding !!!

Since denied boarding compensation + cost of  rebooking passengers on another flight is likely to be more than  what they can get by blocking  seats for sale  ( as you allege ) I think its unlikely.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Cinderella said:

Bazza, it sounds like the Easyjet app defaults to only offer a flight with low occupancy in such circumstances. This is revenue management and all airlines use systems for it. Suspect they have it set to only show/offer seats on a day that they don’t think they will sell. Thats why you could see seats on other days the next day.

It is both frustrating and not in the customer’s interest if that is how they have it set. But it is a low cost airline and none of them put much value on brand or customer perceptions. To be honest I think you have no chance in getting them to change, and doubt government has any influence …

The other part I'd like to chat to Minister Thomas about is a concessionary fare on the Packet for those that need to book last minute and can prove they have been affected, simply because they have no other option. £195 I think it was I paid for the four of us. Two children 8 & 11. 

I like to think I'm a reasonable fella and I do actually have reasonable expectations. I think it's best to set the bar high though and see what's on offer, with regards the petition (prayer). 

I am all for public ownership of the SPC if there are advantages in owning it. I think I am sure the public at large would be in support of helping folk return home in a crisis as cheap as possible. Maybe not, but I'd like to think we are a caring society. There's only 80k of us at the end of the day and we should look out for each other.

I needed to get back. I hired a car for a one way drop from LGW to Liverpool JL. That was £140 odd. £47 for fuel, food and drinks £25 odd and then the boat at £195 approx. It was a very expensive trip home. The £195 was the real sting in the tail I think under the circumstances. I understand it now, but until the airport situation is fixed and I'm not throwing blame darts today, I think Minister Thomas should come up with a temporary plan. 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

16 minutes ago, WTF said:

all well and good IF you actually have the resources/funds available to do that in the first place

Yes..  cannot disagree with that.. But that's life and everything  has a risk 

Travel disruption is a part of life and have to be prepared . 

We don't get hotels etc for example if a train journey is cancelled and have to plan for it..

I wouldn't suggest travelling off island without at least a grand or two available ( in  the  bank or via credit cards ) 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, mad_manx said:

I wouldn't suggest travelling off island without at least a grand or two available ( in  the  bank or via credit cards ) 

That should nullify travel possibility for a proportion of the local population then 😔

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Bazza Smurf said:

The other part I'd like to chat to Minister Thomas about is a concessionary fare on the Packet for those that need to book last minute and can prove they have been affected, simply because they have no other option. £195 I think it was I paid for the four of us. Two children 8 & 11. 

I like to think I'm a reasonable fella and I do actually have reasonable expectations. I think it's best to set the bar high though and see what's on offer, with regards the petition (prayer). 

I am all for public ownership of the SPC if there are advantages in owning it. I think I am sure the public at large would be in support of helping folk return home in a crisis as cheap as possible. Maybe not, but I'd like to think we are a caring society. There's only 80k of us at the end of the day and we should look out for each other.

I needed to get back. I hired a car for a one way drop from LGW to Liverpool JL. That was £140 odd. £47 for fuel, food and drinks £25 odd and then the boat at £195 approx. It was a very expensive trip home. The £195 was the real sting in the tail I think under the circumstances. I understand it now, but until the airport situation is fixed and I'm not throwing blame darts today, I think Minister Thomas should come up with a temporary plan. 

Did you try booking the steam packet fir  the same day .. Usually if you book even the day before then you can get the foot loose offer which is usually cheaper. 

Have to be careful even with the steam packet while booking 

Last night I was looking at foot passenger fares over the bank Holiday weekend at the  end of this month . 

A return to Liverpool ( leaving Friday and back on Monday was £120 as a foot passenger. 

Single tickets each way was £25 each ( on the same ferry)  and so £50  in total  😢

I suspect many don't check and book a return when two singles are less than half this ..

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mad_manx said:

Did you try booking the steam packet fir  the same day .. Usually if you book even the day before then you can get the foot loose offer which is usually cheaper. 

Have to be careful even with the steam packet while booking 

Last night I was looking at foot passenger fares over the bank Holiday weekend at the  end of this month . 

A return to Liverpool ( leaving Friday and back on Monday was £120 as a foot passenger. 

Single tickets each way was £25 each ( on the same ferry)  and so £50  in total  😢

I suspect many don't check and book a return when two singles are less than half this ..

I only booked it Tuesday morning. I had an appointment yesterday that I really wanted to attend, so yes it was very last minute. In these instances it always is I guess! 😕

Just pleased I'm back. TT extra work will hopefully pay the credit card off. 

Edited by Bazza Smurf
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Bazza Smurf said:

I only booked it Tuesday morning. I had an appointment yesterday that I really wanted to attend, so yes it was very last minute. In these instances it always is I guess! 😕

Well lets hope that some disgruntled person doesn't start a petition about the taxis then . Heard a lot of complaints recently about not being able to get a taxi from the airport without waiting ages .

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Bazza Smurf said:

I am certain this won’t be popular, but if I was going to be reliant on borrowing on a credit card for a few hundred quid I wouldn’t have been on a family holiday to Turkey.

Maybe I am just old fashioned

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, emesde said:

Well lets hope that some disgruntled person doesn't start a petition about the taxis then . Heard a lot of complaints recently about not being able to get a taxi from the airport without waiting ages .

There’s plenty of money to be made.

Literally 10 minutes ago watched and overheard a taxi pull up at the side of the Sea Terminal where the cruise passengers welcome desk is.

Four of them piled in and said they wanted to book him all day and do The Sound, Peel, Laxey and anywhere else he suggested.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, emesde said:

Not sure. I've worked Douglas for years. I always drive down there when I do go away. There's problems within the taxi trade for sure. I'm in your side on this if there is an issue. I have spoken to politicians and the RTLC quite recently actually about what I consider the issues which honestly would affect the airport. 

The RTLC have a stance however and stick with it, the DOI run buses and compete against the taxis (in my opinion) and the Road Transport Act is not fit for purpose. 

Start a petition if you wish. Honestly though if you do, try to familiarise yourself with the 2001 ACT and how that fits and regulates the industry. That's the key problem for everyone apart from the DOI/Bus Vannin in my opinion (genuinely) and work from there. 

Government policy on locking down the airport through COVID has had a knock on effect possibly down there also. I know some had to find employment elsewhere but what's happening now I'm not sure. 

Honestly though hand on heart, many of us have tried to seek a common sense approach on transport. It's difficult when the DOI themselves in a way benefit (in my opinion) from legislation not fit for purpose. Hope that makes sense. I have answered not to get into a taxi bashing argument. I have answered with my 21 years experience hand on heart. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, emesde said:

What!  People will be expecting you to pre-book your aircraft as well next.

• Haha 3