Airport.

Billy kettlefish

"Many passengers do not have access to an app at all. Let alone in the UK".

Gatwick airport has free wifi. Most people will have a smartphone - Your statement is just not true.
Technology is everything now. It's quicker to sort your own things out.

If you had to wait for them to sort through 180 passengers in a queue, how long do you think it would take members of staff to book replacement flights / hotels? How many staff would you be expecting them to have to sort through the queue while also dealing with other ongoings in the airport?

It's just not realistic.

Edited by swoopy2110
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, swoopy2110 said:

"Many passengers do not have access to an app at all. Let alone in the UK".

Gatwick airport has free wifi. Most people will have a smartphone - Your statement is just not true.
Technology is everything now. It's quicker to sort your own things out.

If you had to wait for them to sort through 180 passengers in a queue, how long do you think it would take members of staff to book replacement flights / hotels? How many staff would you be expecting them to have to sort through the queue while also dealing with other ongoings in the airport?

It's just not realistic.

I'll take that. I did speak to passengers of an age that did not have access to an app. These people normally carry printed boarding cards etc. 

I just hope I get a few quid back once i apply. I have a feeling though through tiredness and lack of information that I have followed the wrong track. We shall see. I take your points. 

• Like 1

Can someone please elucidate why a 5 mile taxi fare during the day on the IOM costs approximately £14.60, yet in Liverpool the same journey distance would stand you £8.05? In the evening the imbalance is even more hideous.

Is our cost of living approx. 80% more expensive than our UK counterparts?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, Nom de plume said:

Can someone please elucidate why a 5 mile taxi fare during the day on the IOM costs approximately £14.60, yet in Liverpool the same journey distance would stand you £8.05? In the evening the imbalance is even more hideous.

What did taxi driver say when you asked him?

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Banker said:

What did taxi driver say when you asked him?

I have asked the majority when I feel like being taken off at the knees & all tell me it's hard to make a crust when they're only arsed working about 6 daylight hours so they can play golf or watch the match ....

Seriously, it's a worse monopoly than the Racket, Manx Gas, Manx Telecom, Dandara, ... fades to infinity.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Nom de plume said:

I got a private hire from Speke to the ferry terminal in Liverpool the other night. £17.90 plus the tip. Seemed similar to here to be honest, but I am likely bias. 

4 minutes ago, Nom de plume said:

I have asked the majority when I feel like being taken off at the knees & all tell me it's hard to make a crust when they're only arsed working about 6 daylight hours so they can play golf or watch the match ....

Seriously, it's a worse monopoly than the Racket, Manx Gas, Manx Telecom, Dandara, ... fades to infinity.

"Monopoly" (there's about 300 drivers. You know that right)? 

1 minute ago, Bazza Smurf said:

I got a private hire from Speke to the ferry terminal in Liverpool the other night. £17.90 plus the tip. Seemed similar to here to be honest, but I am likely bias. 

Unsure how you blagged that.

I and many of my friends go through LPL airport regularly and with the barrier charge now up again, the average fare to Liverpool One is touching £30.

Hasn't been sub £20 in a long, long while.

Cheapest way is of course the 500 bus every half hour, but if I'm not pushed for time get the 86 and then train into Central from South Parkway.

But ... I'm all ears why our fares are 80% more expensive on the whole?

26 minutes ago, Nom de plume said:

Unsure how you blagged that.

I and many of my friends go through LPL airport regularly and with the barrier charge now up again, the average fare to Liverpool One is touching £30.

Hasn't been sub £20 in a long, long while.

Cheapest way is of course the 500 bus every half hour, but if I'm not pushed for time get the 86 and then train into Central from South Parkway.

But ... I'm all ears why our fares are 80% more expensive on the whole?

I'll try to find the ply for hire tariff sheets later. We are up there with the highest but not the highest in the UK by any means. 

There were no fare rises here from 2016 till 2021. The 2021 rise hit tariff 2 the highest where the fare went up from time and a third to time and a half. Personally as a night driver I think it was needed also. That's between 12 midnight and 6AM. There is no third tariff unlike Maidstone for one, (it's just one that's come to mind right now). 

Going back to the Liverpool private hire, it was from Speke, not at the airport itself. From a local car hire company there. Drivalia office if you know it. 

I do not know the exact answer to your question. I just know that folk think cabs are expensive, but so are the licences, insurance, maintenance, hp repayments, class 4 and 2 NI, income tax blah blah blah. 

I won't be getting into a conversation about taxis on an airport tread but will post the hackney fares list once I have time. Hope some of that helps some bit anyway. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Nom de plume said:

300 drivers does not equate to 300 cabs on the road, nor the cartel fare rigging.

just saying .....

Say what you like. 300 drivers, 101 licenced taxis on Douglas, 45 odd at the airport, 10 odd licenced in south, 20 odd (more likely) North West plus 100 private hire cars, minibuses, etc. It's not a monopoly by any means. Have a sensible discussion by all means. I know my stuff however after 20 years of working in the job. If it's an argument you want go down town later. Just saying....