Airport.

Billy kettlefish

5 minutes ago, Ringy Rose said:

That all said, the longer runway really was needed, as was the resurfacing this year (and the end needed to be widened to allow an A320 to turn at the end whilst the taxiways were out of use). And for all the whining, Lagan came in during a pandemic, did the job to budget and then left again.

The necessity for the longer runway is very debatable, certainly in respect of the turboprop aircraft it wasn't, equally at the time (2006) part of the thinking was that holiday flights could fly direct without refuelling. Aviation professionals, and I don't mean management bullshitters will opine that 03/21 didn't need resurfacing at this time.

BTW it is still not open as DOI allegedly forgot to order the lighting ! Winter is not a great time to have that runway unserviceable !

They have maintained the control tower, they have provided a bucket to catch the water from the leaking roof LOL !!

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, asitis said:

Aviation professionals, and I don't mean management bullshitters will opine that 03/21 didn't need resurfacing at this time.

03/21 was borderline, given how little it is used, but the taxiways did and it was cheaper to get it all done in one go. Although Lagan Aviation would say that wouldn't they. Most airports don't even bother with a cross-runway these days, there's an argument it's not needed at all. If the weather is bad enough to need it, nothing will be coming in anyway.

To get the jets in the main runway needed lengthening. Whether we needed the jets in is a different question entirely, but at the time even regional airlines like Flybe were moving away from props towards jets. And we'd not have EasyJet if we hadn't lengthened it.

2 minutes ago, Ringy Rose said:

If the weather is bad enough to need it,

Weather per se has nothing to do with it , its to do with the strength and direction of the wind and the approved cross wind limits for particular aircraft types. The Q400 and before that the ATP's were regular users. We used to have a Northerly runway too which is now a taxiway. On an island which has very strong North South type winter winds closing the one runway near them is folly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Giggleberrys said:

Our comparable islands in the Channel both have Airports which are government owned. The Steam Packet has just been brought back into Government control as it is considered a lifeline and in the national interest. Do you really think that selling the Airport off to a private entity which would then have the Island by the balls would be of benefit? That's not to say that things down there can't be improved, I just think giving up control over one of the two main ways on and off the island would be political suicide

Nobody has said anything about selling the airport 🙄.

The day to day running of the terminal need privatising.

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Ringy Rose said:

To get the jets in the main runway needed lengthening. Whether we needed the jets in is a different question entirely, but at the time even regional airlines like Flybe were moving away from props towards jets. And we'd not have EasyJet if we hadn't lengthened it.

EasyJet had already started flying here regularly before the extension was opened, so that last bit may not be true.  I remember Reynolds once giving a talk at the time and admitting that the only planes that arguably needed the extra length were the JetStreams (J31/J41s I think) and even that was assuming regulations changed - they were already using it most of the time.

Didn't the reasons for the extension change over time too? And at one point pilots were told to use it even if they hadn't previously needed to? There were posts to that effect on here, I'm sure?

Edited by Non-Believer
extra bit
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

EasyJet had already started flying here regularly before the extension was opened, so that last bit may not be true.  I remember Reynolds once giving a talk at the time and admitting that the only planes that arguably needed the extra length were the JetStreams (J31/J41s I think) and even that was assuming regulations changed - they were already using it most of the time.

I daresay easyJet could have operated without the extensions. The length does however make it less restrictive on load and also safer. J31/41 certainly didn't need the pavement to operate. 

Theres a lot of tosh spoken on here 

Lagan did a good job, the taxiways may have needed some attention, but the main one that was resurfaced (alpha) wasn't necessary as it was built from scratch to facilitate a historical project that never happened, the expansion of the BA. Citi express maintenance facility. That wasn't too long ago so presumably construction wasn't what it ought to have been. 

Resurfacing 21/03 recently ( which is still closed ) was possibly unnecessary either because it may not be an economically justifiable asset, but if it was decided to be necessary, it should have been grooved, which it hasn't been. 

Considerable amounts have been spent over the last 15 years or so. Some necessary, some not. Recent reports have referred to shortages in ATC staffing, one area which is chronically short of human resource. This has resulted in airport closures and restrictive (non radar) operations. Meanwhile other staffing areas have burgeoned, arguably without tangible benefit. It couldn't be said that senior roles are in a stable footing just now. 

We can only hope this improves, but I don't  believe privatisation or corporatization is the way to achieve stability, for an ostensibly small island lifeline at which commercial retail cannot finance away a loss or come close to profit. Better instead, commonsense prudence and spending on what is required not what is not. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

21 hours ago, James Blonde said:

Nobody has said anything about selling the airport 🙄.

The day to day running of the terminal need privatising.

On the contrary, the entire method of how the airport is being run is open for discussion. The Fire Service, Air Traffic Control, Airfield Operations and the Terminal are all currently Government controlled but that may change depending on the will of the newly elected politicians. 

3 hours ago, Giggleberrys said:

On the contrary, the entire method of how the airport is being run is open for discussion. The Fire Service, Air Traffic Control, Airfield Operations and the Terminal are all currently Government controlled but that may change depending on the will of the newly elected politicians. 

Treasury SAVE program was all about part or full privatisation of the airport!!