Airport.

Billy kettlefish

4 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

Yes but it says they pay standard rates wherever they park after the hour so presumably someone will have to check that they have a badge if they’re just paying standard rate but they’re parked in the premium park otherwise everyone will be doing it. They’ll also have to check that any other standard payers aren’t parked in premium spaces. Unlike now where you just pay to park either long or short stay.

But they’re checking all cars in both car parks, most days. So it’s not any different, really. I’ve had to park in a non disabled bay when they were all full. 

It’s almost “we’ve employed people to check parkers have paid, we must devise a new system to keep them employed”.

Perhaps RinGo has signed them up for 2 years and they’ve got to make the most of it.

But a number recognition/recording system would be cheaper.

I suppose that it’s quite enticing ( as a blue bade holder ) to pay the £90 standard maximum and get lots of free days after 3 weeks ( which is when you hit the maximum ) and then be able to come and go at will.

Why they can’t just charge a lower amount per day after the first three weeks.

• Like 2

I wonder if these terms, "Premium and Standard" were actually requested or even coined by anybody who responded to the consultation?

Most people just want somewhere to park and pay easily while they wait in the vague hope that their flight is going to arrive and/or depart on schedule.

• Like 4

Just to let you know that people who use footnotes are not the only ones who can use spreadsheets, here is the data:

Screenshot_2023-06-01_19-43-12.png.a09175b6bfbb72f07dc2be556e00b40a.png

So what is magic about a 6-hour stay for the plebs? The numbers do not make sense - a difference of £4 over 7 days - that is less than the price of a microwaved bacon bap in the cafe.

I have the feeling that this is nothing to do with providing an airport service, but it is about people fantasising about being business wizards. They will probably propose having happy/not happy buttons soon.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

Just to let you know that people who use footnotes are not the only ones who can use spreadsheets, here is the data:

So what is magic about a 6-hour stay for the plebs? The numbers do not make sense - a difference of £4 over 7 days - that is less than the price of a microwaved bacon bap in the cafe.

I have the feeling that this is nothing to do with providing an airport service, but it is about people fantasising about being business wizards. They will probably propose having happy/not happy buttons soon.

But it’s when you get to maximum fee for the two.

Premium it’s £120, and you reach that after 20 days. Get 70 days free.

Standard it’s £90, and you reach that after 15 days. Get 75 days free.

It really doesn’t make sense.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

Presumably through whatever dashboard they have with RinGo they can see where their premium most used slots are. I’d guess that’s why they’ve disproportionately loaded 8, 12 & 16 hours for day trippers. 

39 minutes ago, Dirty Buggane said:

Most people who responded would have said the car parks should be free, we have already paid through the nose. We(the GMP) own the carpark so why the fuck are we paying again, bunch of incompetent twats.

Obviously people want it for free but if it was people would leave their cars for weeks on end for holidays & no space left for others. We also own other car parks in Douglas like by steam packet ad do DBC but you pay to use them also 

10 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

I don't know if many stay 6-8 hours anyway - it's too short for most day-trips, too long for dropping someone off.  I suppose  people who collect a partner's car after work might be possible.

What those figures do show is that the benefit of using the traditional long-stay car park becomes less the longer you stay.  Which doesn't make much sense - and the extra people are paying is tiny.  It may end up having the opposite effect to intended.

But as you say this is all about giving the appearance of being 'commercial' rather than doing what a competent business would be doing - understanding their market and providing a product that fits what their customers would want to use more.  Expect it get even worse when the new Airport Board get filled up with the usual suspects who then make lots of idiotic suggestions to show they are doing something.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

It is indicative of the ongoing policy that all Depts/areas should be revenue-raising businesses.

Which would be fine except for the fact that they aren't staffed by business people; they're staffed by people with no business acumen and more importantly, no skin in the game to be lost if their attempts fail.

The only people with anything to lose are the users/taxpayers who not only cover the costs of the cock-ups but also the continuing salaries and superannuation after the failure. Win win and lose lose.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

On 5/30/2023 at 5:28 PM, IOM said:

I think you will find that is wrong . The London flights invariably operate in line with schedule they are in my experience more reliable than the late EasyJet service from Gatwick. My point remains not once in the whole hour did anyone mention Loganair or Emerald which I find a little bizarre . 

Note the evening London Gatwick flight yet again delayed overnight what a nightmare for those on it ! The London City evening flight was 4 mins late ! 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Two-lane said:

Assuming the cafe is open of course.

10 hours ago, John Wright said:

But it’s when you get to maximum fee for the two.

Premium it’s £120, and you reach that after 20 days. Get 70 days free.

Standard it’s £90, and you reach that after 15 days. Get 75 days free.

It really doesn’t make sense.

Government edict makes sense? Lets make up 2 zones with 2 sets of charges that have 15 different limits and payments and then post this at 5 different sites (2 inside the terminal and 3 in the carpark of which 2 will be hidden by trees and one will be right at the entrance so people entering will block access as they try to figure it all out.

Imagine if there was a way to automatically record the time you entered and left and were charged automatically by the hour (in half hour increments after 30 min) and could pay when you leave or up to 24 hours after if you have the app? With APNR to ensure ticket (or app QR code) has last 4 digits of reg. to avoid most obvious abuses.

• Like 1