Airport.

Billy kettlefish

3 minutes ago, Nellie said:

Yes it was. The regular rotation EZY843/4 was most definitely cancelled. There was an additional rotation for TT traffic EZY895/6 which did operate about an hour late, but it was too early to take any passnegers that were displaced by the cancellation.

I sit corrected. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nellie said:

Of course, it's up to 360 pax on the combined inbound/outbound flights, and I see that tonight they aren't blaming it on ATC delays here, or anywhere else, and are accepting EU261 claims, so the costs easily be north of £100k, which must be quite a few days (weeks??) profit on the route. 

ETA - EZY have now changed their story, and are blaming 'operating hours' which is an 'exceptional circumstance' which is clearly untrue, as they know perfectly well what the opening hours are months in advance! Very difficult for a claiming passenger to prove what the real reason really was. 

I mean, looking at the history of the a/c due to operate the flight, it had delay in Italy this morning.. then a massive delay in Slovenia this afternoon.  They'll say it was to do with that which is outside their control. Difficult for the passenger to prove otherwise.

BBC had article in breakfast show just now about parking apps, most councils etc changing to RingGo or similar & lots of whining from elderly people. 

response from councils is alternative is too expensive for few who can’t use it 

Edited by Banker

9 hours ago, swoopy2110 said:

I mean, looking at the history of the a/c due to operate the flight, it had delay in Italy this morning.. then a massive delay in Slovenia this afternoon.  They'll say it was to do with that which is outside their control. Difficult for the passenger to prove otherwise.

Yes, that's correct. Whatever people on here think the Airport's operating hours should be, or that they should be able to stay open indefinitely, easyJet know that the absolute closing time is 23.00.

Once that particular plane was very late getting to Ljubliana, in mid-afternoon, it was obvious it could not get here and out again by 23.00.

They could have cancelled several hours earlier and given people more options, including moving to the earlier flight (EZY895/6) which was not full. It is 100% easyJet's fault that those visitors were inconvenienced.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Banker said:

response from councils is alternative is too expensive for few who can’t use it 

@Stu Peters raised that.

I am sure that the capital cost of an APNR system is greater than RinGo. In fact, apart from Signage RinGo will be next to nothing, just a set up fee.

Its the ongoing operating costs that should swing it.

RingGo taking 10, 15, 20% of revenue, set up fee when changing tariff, parking control attendants doing rounds several times daily with electronic equipment to check if you’ve paid.

APNR a few pay machines, touch screen card only, no moving parts, no barriers, no need to check, fewer employees, a daily print out of the index numbers of cars that left without paying, no slicing off the top of parking income.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, John Wright said:

APNR a few pay machines, touch screen card only, no moving parts, no barriers, no need to check, fewer employees, a daily print out of the index numbers of cars that left without paying, no slicing off the top of parking income.

All of that equipment has an overhead, though. Either you’re maintaining it in-house or it’s outsourced to the manufacturer, who will charge for the privilege. DBC have had plenty of issues with their machines, especially at the Bottleneck but also in Shaw’s Brow.

Ring Go is just plug-and-play and the maintenance is their issue.

I’d be surprised if the margin is above 10%, Leeds City Council let slip they were paying about 5% when they switched away from RingGo to another supplier.

@Chris Thomas  today, I booked my car into one of the other airport parking providers for a 16 day stay, from late June to early July. I leave the car right next to the terminal. They will wash it and vacuum it, and take responsibility for looking after it while I am away. They charge me £45.

If I left it in the Airport car park it would cost me £90. 

I know that you have people working for you at the Airport who think that they are super smart, commercially minded, business savvy folk, so can you explain how they came up with such an obviously complex, uncompetitive and down right stupid charging system for the Airport car parks?

If they were operating like this in the real world, they'd lose their jobs. Sadly, in the IOMCS world, stupidity and incompetence don't bring any consequences. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 9

On 6/3/2023 at 11:54 AM, Ringy Rose said:

All of that equipment has an overhead, though. Either you’re maintaining it in-house or it’s outsourced to the manufacturer, who will charge for the privilege. DBC have had plenty of issues with their machines, especially at the Bottleneck but also in Shaw’s Brow.

Ring Go is just plug-and-play and the maintenance is their issue.

I’d be surprised if the margin is above 10%, Leeds City Council let slip they were paying about 5% when they switched away from RingGo to another supplier.

Of course there is a capital and maintenance cost for non RinGo solutions. But then there are huge manpower savings through not needing the presence of two parking controllers wandering around, day in, day out.

My understanding is that RinGo has an on boarding fee, a fee to change tariff and that the “cut” is revenue related. Big city, huge multi £million annual turnover gets smaller percentage scalping than IoM airport, with, probably, £500,000, annual turnover, even at increased rates. 

• Thanks 2

48 minutes ago, Nellie said:

@Chris Thomas  today, I booked my car into one of the other airport parking providers for a 16 day stay, from late June to early July. I leave the car right next to the terminal. They will wash it and vacuum it, and take responsibility for looking after it while I am away. They charge me £45.

If I left it in the Airport car park it would cost me £90. 

I know that you have people working for you at the Airport who think that they are super smart, commercially minded, business savvy folk, so can you explain how they came up with such an obviously complex, uncompetitive and down right stupid charging system for the Airport car parks?

If they were operating like this in the real world, they'd lose their jobs. Sadly, in the IOMCS world, stupidity and incompetence don't bring any consequences. 

Don't worry.

I would put money on the IOM gov making it illegal to take money from third parties to store cars within a 5 mile radius of the airport, as soon as they can get the law drafted.

Or more likely, make it something you need planning permission to do...................................

Edited by Blade Runner
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Blade Runner said:

Don't worry.

I would put money on the IOM gov making it illegal to take money from third parties to store cars within a 5 mile radius of the airport, as soon as they can get the law drafted.

Or more likely, make it something you need planning permission to do...................................

Knowing the IOM what you said may actually  happen  😞

1 hour ago, Blade Runner said:

As the objective of our civil service seems to be to compete with every private business on the IOM just to keep themselves busy it might have a reasonable chance of happening. The charging above is now great for those private parking companies though. If it’s £90 to park for two weeks at the airport now and £45 to park offsite privately people like the Athol could probably push it to £60 and still undercut. The carpark is emptier everytime you go down there. The “business” tycoons at the DOI really are hopeless. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1