Airport.

Billy kettlefish

5 minutes ago, Ringy Rose said:

They’ll just charge Athol and Mylchreests more for the hire car spaces…

This isn’t DOI, though, this is Treasury. This comes from Cannan.

The “consultation” was DOI

https://www.gov.im/news/2023/apr/05/changes-proposed-to-parking-at-isle-of-man-airport/

and Chris Thomas made the announcement on the “infrastructure” site https://www.gov.im/news/2023/jun/01/airport-parking-changes-revised-following-feedback/

Edited by offshoremanxman

2 hours ago, Blade Runner said:

Don't worry.

I would put money on the IOM gov making it illegal to take money from third parties to store cars within a 5 mile radius of the airport, as soon as they can get the law drafted.

Or more likely, make it something you need planning permission to do...................................

More likely they will just bump up massively rents to the operators and make it totally unfeasible. 

8 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

The “consultation” was DOI and Chris Thomas made the announcement on the “infrastructure” site https://www.gov.im/news/2023/jun/01/airport-parking-changes-revised-following-feedback/

All government departments have been told to put their fees up, minimum 10% across the board. The DOI is the most publicly obvious, but you’ll see everything go up soon enough. It’s all Treasury mandated.

This is all coming from Cannan but he’s quite content to hide behind the departments.

Edited by Ringy Rose
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Ringy Rose said:

All government departments have been told to put their fees up, minimum 10% across the board. The DOI is the most publicly obvious, but you’ll see everything go up soon enough. It’s all Treasury mandated.

This is all coming from Cannan, but he’s quite content to hide behind the departments.

Have you any evidence ? Maybe you should become a whistleblower if what you say is true

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

this totally ridiculous “premium” and “peasant” price structure

Most airports charge you more if you park closer to the terminal. Car parks requiring a shuttle bus are less expensive than car parks requiring a short walk. It’s a common pricing structure, and is basically the same as what we have now anyway with the short stay and long stay car parks.

Has anyone seen a copy of the new draft order?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Nellie said:

@Chris Thomas  today, I booked my car into one of the other airport parking providers for a 16 day stay, from late June to early July. I leave the car right next to the terminal. They will wash it and vacuum it, and take responsibility for looking after it while I am away. They charge me £45.

If I left it in the Airport car park it would cost me £90. 

I know that you have people working for you at the Airport who think that they are super smart, commercially minded, business savvy folk, so can you explain how they came up with such an obviously complex, uncompetitive and down right stupid charging system for the Airport car parks?

Will you stop doing this or at least advertising it?

I have  been doing this for years and now find myself having to book well in advance, where previously I could do it the day before because of this lunatic airport pricing policy?

Anyway I don’t believe this will raise any more revenue for the airport. The opposite in fact. When booking a taxi to the airport and your return journey to your home is less than you pay for parking.

No one expects to park for free but this is a major PR disaster.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Maugholdmafia said:

Yep okay, 

Are you sure it is not because government departments are mandated by statute to raise their fees annually to the rate of inflation RPI ?

Government charges are a major driver of the high inflation we're currently experiencing.

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

Most places have a long and short stay carpark like we had 3 weeks ago.

The new plans still do, they’re just called different names under the new plan. And they’ve made the long stay bit bigger.

14 minutes ago, Maugholdmafia said:

Are you sure it is not because government departments are mandated by statute to raise their fees annually to the rate of inflation RPI ?

The FSA application fee for a class 1 institution has gone from £15,459 to £27,500.

11 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Anyway I don’t believe this will raise any more revenue for the airport. The opposite in fact.

I’d agree with that, I think the proposed charges are too much for the market. If it’s £25 each way in a taxi, why would I pay £60 to park?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Ringy Rose said:

The FSA application fee for a class 1 institution has gone from £15,459 to £27,500.

Ive no idea what a class 1 instituition is, but it sounds like they have raised the fees for a branch of tax dodging corporations. Good job I say 

For the rest of the population I don't see much of a problem !

4 minutes ago, Maugholdmafia said:

Ive no idea what a class 1 instituition is, but it sounds like they have raised the fees for a branch of tax dodging corporations. Good job I say 

A Class 1 license is basically a deposit taking bank. They can afford the increase. Unlike a pensioner parking a car at the airport. 

• Like 2