Airport.

Billy kettlefish

5 hours ago, Andy Onchan said:

Non Believer has been banging on about this for quite some time. And he's right. IOMG have run out of alternatives.

There are still alternatives, it's just that they would take political balls and unpopularity to countenance and implement. Politicians won't do it for fear of upsetting the largest voter base (which they appear to have no control over anyway) and sending out the wrong message though, which is that IoM is a pink fluffy place with no grief whatsoever and thus attractive to people/business looking at relocating. How long the current course is sustainable while that course is followed in the name of salvation is the big question.

I see recently that they're expecting the FERSA rebate to top £400M this year; they'll need it, because the PS wage bill is £500M pa and growing, as well as the pension deficit.

1 hour ago, Ringy Rose said:

The public sector accepted 6% last year which was pragmatic but two successive years of 10%+ inflation has really started to bite now. 5% isn’t a good offer when inflation is still well above 10% and when inflation is being driven by greed in the energy and agriculture industries.

For probably upwards of 20 years, private sector employers have used a pay pot and matrix system to deal with pay awards. This tends to focus on rewarding higher performing, lower paid staff, at the expense of those who are 'top of scale'. A 5% pot might enable rises in the range 0% to maybe 12.5%.

The logic was to reward those who might be more mobile, and likely to leave, and not worry too much about those who could be perceived as 'deadwood'. 

IOMG is still wedded to 1980's thinking of 'must preserve differentials' and avoiding 'real terms pay cuts'. It's all part of the numerous cultural issues which engulf the IOMPS.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Nellie said:

For probably upwards of 20 years, private sector employers have used a pay pot and matrix system to deal with pay awards. This tends to focus on rewarding higher performing, lower paid staff, at the expense of those who are 'top of scale'. A 5% pot might enable rises in the range 0% to maybe 12.5%.

The logic was to reward those who might be more mobile, and likely to leave, and not worry too much about those who could be perceived as 'deadwood'. 

IOMG is still wedded to 1980's thinking of 'must preserve differentials' and avoiding 'real terms pay cuts'. It's all part of the numerous cultural issues which engulf the IOMPS.

Exactly right but they & it appears some on here seem to think they have a divine right to annual pay rises of inflation!, as you say in private sector there’s a matrix & also no increase for under performing staff !

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Nellie said:

My experience is that the matrices were generally used as a way of rewarding sycophants and/or pushing out those whose face didn’t fit. I’ve been on both ends of that with different employers in my time, it was always better to be the favoured one but never good for morale either way. Equally I was glad to leave the ones who always mysteriously found fault with everything at pay review time.

The best employers I worked with had a two-part matrix: a base cost of living rise for all and then performance-related progression up a pay band for the rest of any award.

46 minutes ago, Banker said:

it appears some on here seem to think they have a divine right to annual pay rises of inflation!, as you say in private sector there’s a matrix & also no increase for under performing staff !

How dare people want a cost of living pay rise that actually covers their inflated cost of living. Bloody communists. We should sack them all and then wonder why we don’t have any ATC staff.

• Like 2

Just now, Yibble said:

So by your 'logic', if prices were to fall, you would be celebrating a pay rise?

I think we’d all be celebrating a real-terms pay rise if we had a prolonged period of deflation. Money is only worth what you can buy with it.

But as we’ve not had a prolonged period of deflation since 1934, I’ll not be holding my breath.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, ptarmigan said:

Jersey is installing scanners today that will mean liquids font have to be removed from hand luggage....

Never going to happen here. 

Wait and see…

19 hours ago, Stu Peters said:

I think the new airport parking is a 12 month trial. If you’re all right the airport carpark will be empty and the DoI will have to re-evaluate.

And that re-evaluation will probably conclude that the car park is empty because the parking charges are too low, and they need to be increased.

• Haha 5

All this shite for a population of only 85K. We'd be royally fooked if we ever meet the new resident targets.

And..... why is the government engaging in promoting an even bigger two tier society? If ever there was an outward sign of a "them & us" then this "prestige" parking arrangement is the manifestation of further inequality. IOM never used to be like that.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

All this shite for a population of only 85K. We'd be royally fooked if we ever meet the new resident targets.

And..... why is the government engaging in promoting an even bigger two tier society? If ever there was an outward sign of a "them & us" then this "prestige" parking arrangement is the manifestation of further inequality. IOM never used to be like that.

It’s always more expensive to park nearby the terminal at every airport but the terminology probably need’s changed 

• Thanks 1